Best DIY Trans Kit 47RE

Nutuphammerdown

DieselHolic
I've searched and have not really come up with a clear winner, lets hear some opinions of what the best performance trans kits are.

Dtt has a build your own kit so you can get what you want. Otherwise suncoast has decent kits.

Sent from my phone.

I'm kinda glad this came up because I am looking to order parts this month and had the same question. I was thinking about going with a DTT Master Rebuild kit, DTT VB and a reman triple disc converter from Slowpoke over at Diesel Performance Converters. How well do y'all think this would work out for a daily driver (mostly all highway) with some towing and eventually pushing around 500 hp? Any other suggestions?

I went with a Revmax kit in a 03 because dtt was out if a part for 3 weeks when I built it. I am very happy with the Revmax kit but will.be trying dtt in the future

I'm kinda glad this came up because I am looking to order parts this month and had the same question. I was thinking about going with a DTT Master Rebuild kit, DTT VB and a reman triple disc converter from Slowpoke over at Diesel Performance Converters. How well do y'all think this would work out for a daily driver (mostly all highway) with some towing and eventually pushing around 500 hp? Any other suggestions?

DTT's kit is nice. If its built correctly 500hp will be no problem

If its a 47re then i would reccomend getting the better BW solenoid for it as well.

Thanks guys for the input.
What all would y'all recommend that I need to piece together a trans that will handle 500 hp / 1000 ft/lb and be reliable as a daily machine on long highway runs? Are there any issues mixing and matching one companies kit with another's VB and another's TC? What billet will I need aside from the input shaft?

Get a billet apply lever with the correct ratio for the VB you use. I would reccomend the billet strut and anchor as well. Clean up the bore's of the servo's while you have them out(light scotchbrite pad) and you should be fine with the stock accum. & servos.

What all would y'all recommend that I need to piece together a trans that will handle 500 hp / 1000 ft/lb and be reliable as a daily machine on long highway runs? Are there any issues mixing and matching one companies kit with another's VB and another's TC? What billet will I need aside from the input shaft?

No problem with mixing. Every part in my trans is from a different company/shop.

I got a suncoast vb and a dtt converter. Got dusty from hts to put me a rebuild kit together.

All is well so far. When I get some coin saved up, I'm gonna try a tripple disk.

I've been looking around and doing some thinking here on this and looking into what it would take time wise to do my own trans and I really can't afford to be down that long because of work. Well I've been looking into getting a complete tranny done by a pro. I'm kind of leaning towards Relentless Diesel for several reasons... They are very close to me and have a short turn around as well as the fact that I haven't been able to find anything bad said about them from any of their customers. Any of you have any experience with Chris at Relentless in Willis, TX?

Id go with a heavy duty set of clutches and steels also, before you burn the stock ones up. You would have a pretty stout trans by then.

Id go with a heavy duty set of clutches and steels also, before you burn the stock ones up. You would have a pretty stout trans by then.

"stock" clutches will hold just fine in most cases, just depends on how many are used and what kind of line pressure your running. I use BW and raybestos in all the transmissions i build, as does a lot of the bigger builders out there.

I would use Relentless time and time again if I didn't do my own tranny work. I work with Stephanie on a weekly basis and they are good people. Plus I have seen some of there tranny's go through hell and make it out alive.

I went with Sun Coast in mine and I love it plus they are great people to deal with, very helpful and knowledgeable.

I've been looking around and doing some thinking here on this and looking into what it would take time wise to do my own trans and I really can't afford to be down that long because of work. Well I've been looking into getting a complete tranny done by a pro. I'm kind of leaning towards Relentless Diesel for several reasons... They are very close to me and have a short turn around as well as the fact that I haven't been able to find anything bad said about them from any of their customers. Any of you have any experience with Chris at Relentless in Willis, TX?

I did the build on my 98' 4x4 47re transmission over the Thanksgiving Holiday last year. I worked on it 8 hrs Thurs, 8 hrs Friday, and 14 hrs Saturday.

If you have a buddy to help, and work off of a flat workspace, you can probably pull the tranny in 3 hrs, and reinstall in 4hrs. My truck is too long for my garage so I had to work on it out in the street so it took extra time to remove and reinstall the tranny, I spent 7 hrs pulling it and close to 10 hrs reinstalling. Since this was my daily driver, I carefully inspected every part in the transmission and tried to do a perfect high performance rebuild so I spent a good 12-13 hrs rebuilding and installing upgraded parts, cleaning, scrubbing, and painting.

If all you are doing is a minor rebuild with stock clutch counts, not tearing down everything in the tranny for inspection, and just a simple Transgo shift kit in the valvebody, the tranny + valvebody could be rebuilt by a 1st time home mechanic in 6 hrs.

It could be done over a weekend but it's a lot of work for one guy to tackle, especially if it's a 4x4 truck, with welded together aftermarket exahust, etc.

We totally rebuilt mine the first time with removal and reinstall and total disassembly with the exception of the O/D unit in about 8 hours. Two guys working one guy drinking. I also need to do this with my other truck now.