Best oil in a 06-5.9

Schaeffers 7000 is defiantly the best. I once had a 7.3 that had a weak hpop. I had it hooked up to a scan tool and took it for a drive and noted the hpop psi. It had Rotella-T in it. Then I changed the oil with Scaeffers 7000 and took it for a drive. The hpop actually had a higher overall psi and you could tell the truck was responding better. I can't remember the exact numbers cause it was so long ago but I think it was about a 300 psi difference. That was my first experience with Schaeffers and I was sold. With that being said, it's expensive and I drive so much I can't justify the cost so like my earlier post said I usually just run whatever is on sale. My pulling truck??? That's a different story. That gets Scaeffers racing oil changed every 5 hooks.

I can't say I agree about not breaking in an engine with it. I'm not an expert but I know plenty of shops that use it. The one I'm most familiar with uses it in fresh rebuilds along with a bottle of Schaeffers moly ep lube and a bottle of Lucas engine oil stabilizer. They warm it up and break it in then drain and fill with fresh 7000. They've never seemed to have any trouble.

I can't say I agree about not breaking in an engine with it. I'm not an expert but I know plenty of shops that use it. The one I'm most familiar with uses it in fresh rebuilds along with a bottle of Schaeffers moly ep lube and a bottle of Lucas engine oil stabilizer. They warm it up and break it in then drain and fill with fresh 7000. They've never seemed to have any trouble.

I broke my new engine in with 7000 and it seemed like it took an excessive amount of miles to seat the rings.

But the shop that rebuilt the motor wanted to use rings they said were super slick, made out of molybdenum, the same stuff Shaeffers 7000 has in it. So maybe that's where the excessive seat time was from. And maybe I don't know what the heck I'm talking about either. I'm no expert.

But I do know that the axles and hubs in our tractors look better and last longer when we run Shaeffers in them as opposed to other oils. And that's what our mechanic says he's noticed too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

every diesel i have ever owned whether it be new or old i have ran rotella non synthetic i am a firm believer of not fixing what is not broken and the 15- 40 rotella will be what i run for a long time

Valvoline Cummins spec oil
ZDDP Additive
Baldwin filter

Every 5k.

Tobin

Valvoline Cummins spec oil
ZDDP Additive
Baldwin filter

Every 5k.

Tobin

Before I switched over to synthetic I also ran the Valvoline premium blue. It was an excellent dyno oil. I run Amsoil now due to the oil formula being changed to less ZDDP.

every diesel i have ever owned whether it be new or old i have ran rotella non synthetic i am a firm believer of not fixing what is not broken and the 15- 40 rotella will be what i run for a long time

I think they have reduced the amount of zinc in it. Might want to check that, I am not sure about it.

Okay for Powerstrokes with roller lifters, no bueno for Cummins with the flat tappets.

Tobin

I wont mention names but a forum member here recently asked me to rebuild his engine, always ran on synthetic oil and it was the next nastiest engine Ive seen next to this one...

I hate to ask...but was this Jason's engine that had been running on Amsoil AME Marine 15-40?

--Eric

I broke my new engine in with 7000 and it seemed like it took an excessive amount of miles to seat the rings.

Rule number 1 - never break a new engine in with synthetic oil. Any engine builder can tell you that.

7000 is great oil.

Last edited:
I use rotella 15/40 on my 04 change it every 3,500 miles or 6 months whatever comes first. Only have 65k on it though.

15/40 rotella

baldwin filters, every 5000-7500 miles... this has worked fine for me since my 12v, and run the same on my new to me 12v as well...

we sell Amsoil and havnt had a issue yet. I run it in my pull truck plus my 6.7 I send off oil samples to new customer to Amsoil at my cost. I have the extended life oil in my 6.7 with 25k filter at 10k im sending oil sample off. Im about 1800 miles off the 10k ill post up results from oil sample.

I run Rotella with Fleetguard 2 micron filter in my truck, change it once a year, between 5k and 10k miles.

That Rotella starts smelling terrinble real soon and Mobil Delvac is not much better. I liked using Royal Purple the best but it got expensive. I now use the Valvoline Premium blue and I like it.

What ever is cheaper at the time rotella or valvoline and always use fleetgaurd stratopore filters.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2