Better piston options for a CR? (link to carnage pics)

Dudge

Hey guys, what options do I have as far as better pistons for a CR? I've heard ppl say go with Cummins parts, but I was just curious if there was a better option. Here is a link to my original thread with a few pics of what I uncovered last night.

CR engine differences? - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

I read a thread recently that a guy used Mahle pistons in his build. How much is it going to cost me for a set of slugs? Thanks for the help.

oh $$$ there are better options $$$$ but how much do you want to $$$$ spend??

There you go, not the cheapest option.

Billetmonotherm.jpg

Lol I was afraid to hear that. If it's going to be too much then I'll just start looking for a motor. I'm just curious as to what prices are going to be like. Rumor is Cummins pistons are $200 a piece.

It's going to be a street truck, nothing too crazy. May eventually want to go around 550 hp one day.

mahle should have them ready for the 03-04 engines good parts a lot cheaper. you are close on the price from cummins. factory pistons should hold up at that level with out a problem as long as the other components dont screw up injectors etc.

ted

Oh ok, you asked about better pistons, for the dollar hard to beat the factory slugs. Pretty sure there isnt any "El cheapo" kits for the CR yet, like there is for the 12v's.

There you go, not the cheapest option.

Billetmonotherm.jpg

Thats what I was talking about, a little over kill for a daily driver...

I believe John runs these in his funny car.

Cody there was a thread about these a while back.

mahle should have them ready for the 03-04 engines good parts a lot cheaper. you are close on the price from cummins. factory pistons should hold up at that level with out a problem as long as the other components dont screw up injectors etc.

ted

Yea, the injectors were the leading cause to the carnage I believe. I just didn't think it could get THAT hot. I mean that piston is all kinds of messed up. I may just buy 2 factory Cummins pistons and see if I can reuse the others. They appear to be in good shape.

Joesixpack: Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm nowhere near that level yet. Those are pretty beef.

I would get a hold of Snedge. Some CR marines would probably be a good choice but Snedge would know far better then me.

Joesixpack

That is some dead sexy stuff!:rockwoot:

If you overbore you can get some 24v Mahle pistons. They have a lower ring land and no colling passages up in the top of them. I have seen sets go for less then 500.00 on ebay for those.

I would get a hold of Snedge. Some CR marines would probably be a good choice but Snedge would know far better then me.

DITTO!! PM Snedge of Mumau Diesel. One call and 2 days later I had a set of these puppies in my hands @ a killer price :

IMG_0860.jpg

:Cheer:

I read many CR piston threads, yet I have not seen the topic of how the '04.5+ has a 29° tighter spray pattern than the '03-04, nor the difference between re-entrant and non re-entrant.

Can you elaborate on the last part?

Hows the spray patterns compare to VP injector/pistons?

If you overbore you can get some 24v Mahle pistons. They have a lower ring land and no colling passages up in the top of them. I have seen sets go for less then 500.00 on ebay for those.

are the bowls in the 24v quite a bit differnt than the common rail?

A stock piston is perfect for making power. I like the 03-04 design (so does Cummins). If you get a change to see the 6.7L piston, it is a mirror of the 03 bowl. If you really want to make the piston last, send them over to PPE and have them coated. It is a very nice process and won't flake off like other coatings. We have done a couple of motors with this coating with very good success.