Biggest Single On Stock Fuel

Holy crap 300D needs a hug or something to make him feel better about himself and his vast knowledge of bull****t. Negative Nancy here has us mixed up with somebody who give a ****t aobut what he has to say.

Dave, I know how you feel to have to build it up air and fuel separately because I had to piece my truck together through the past 4 years of college on a tight budget. Granted you'll be able to buy your new stuff within a couple months instead of a couple semesters like me. Since you're not looking into twins what I did prolly won't be too much help but I'll tell you the order I did my stuff in anyways to see if part of it helps in your application.

While I was in high school I messed around using all the wrong programmers such as Banks 6 gun w/pda and a diablosport and did the basic intake, exhaust manifolds, cold air and my first straight pipe exhaust setup. Freshman year of college I switched to a Smarty finally when I joined up on here and they set me straight. Then I decided I wanted to build it up to make 700-800HP and wanted twins instead of a big single (5.9L I know). So I bought my HTT 62/71/13 to run as a single with plans of doing fuel next and then the other turbo. The turbo ran fine as a single on stock fuel with just a FASS 150. Also blew lots of money on cosmetic stuff this year instead of go fast parts.

Sophmore year of college I got a hold of a Wicked stage 3 CP3 and 120 HP injectors throughout the year and then had to wait to have them installed that summer due to a long distance relationship and me waisting lots of money on diesel to drive to see her in Dallas and flying her up here to see me and then letting her live off me for 8months. Not getting into that. 120HP injectors and CP3 turned my truck into a crazy new animal. And there was my first tranny blow up in there somewhere too but that's not important. Loved this set up for the time being and ran multiple 13.0s with my 6 speed here in Amarillo's crappy DA.

Junior year MP8. And purchased Hamilton valve springs and pushrods and H11 headstuds, because that's when Smarty came out the 4K RPM option unlock and I wanted it bad. I also order the Hamilton cam then too but they were on backorder. That was also the summer I purchased my S476 primary turbo. That summer when I was getting ready to put all that fun stuff on I decided I was determined to run a 12sec time with my current setup before I did the twins. This cost me 2 transmissions and 2 clutches and delayed any progress on the truck for over a year.

In the past year I've had the transmission compeltely rebuilt twice and bought 2 clutches. I have a Valair Street Triple that I like alot and am really excited to race it but I won't until the twins are on which should be tonight. I found a gentleman in Weatherford, TX that made his own twin piping and he sold me them. Also had to buy a 2nd gen exhaust manifold and finally purchased the Hamilton cam. Now in the last week we successfully installed the cam, valve springs, pushrods, and headstuds and the past 3 days I've been attempting to put my twins on in the wee hours of the night in my little spare time. Tonight come helll or high water they're gonna finally be on the truck.

NOW, I'm not sure why I gave you a writeup of my truck build but there you have it. Towards the end I started skipping stuff because I realized most of you guys don't really care about my mediocre buildup.

So in summary:

Programming and basics>>>>Small Turbo>>>>120HP Injectors and stage 3 Wicked CP3>>>Headstuds, valve springs, pushrods, cam>>>>62/S476 Twins in that order is what I did and don't think I'd change anything about it except how long it took to do certain parts.

My suggestion (take it for what it's worth):

You have programming and basics. I'd do the fuel before that big asss turbo and then do the turbo and headstuds and all that stuff a month or so after the fuel. The turbos on those 6.7L are already big. Put some injectors, CP3 and lift pump on it and run it like that for a little bit and then do the turbo. Then you wouldn't have to sit around and "grow into" your turbo and have to put up with crappy drivability for a month or two, and then down the road do a cam or whatever else you're planning.

I know I typed up a whole bunch of stuff that ya'll don't particulary care to read but there you have it. Just my personal suggestion from someone else that couldn't do all this fun ****t all at once. You'll like too much fuel with not enough air A LOT better than too much air and not enough fuel. JMHO

You have programming and basics. I'd do the fuel before that big asss turbo and then do the turbo and headstuds and all that stuff a month or so after the fuel. The turbos on those 6.7L are already big. Put some injectors, CP3 and lift pump on it and run it like that for a little bit and then do the turbo. Then you wouldn't have to sit around and "grow into" your turbo and have to put up with crappy drivability for a month or two, and then down the road do a cam or whatever else you're planning.

I know I typed up a whole bunch of stuff that ya'll don't particulary care to read but there you have it. Just my personal suggestion from someone else that couldn't do all this fun ****t all at once. You'll like too much fuel with not enough air A LOT better than too much air and not enough fuel. JMHO

The only thing I disagree with you on is the 6.7 turbo already being big theyre not for the size of our engines actually a little on the small side although I did make 546hp on my stock turbo It didnt like and and I didnt like how my guages looked. on the 6.7l in most cases for reliablity sake your better off adding air before fuel. after which he adds fuel and the spooling only gets better. I think dave wants something he never has to replace originally my plan was to eventually do a compound setup 66/80/14 over S480 but since the last round of mods we decided we are going to run a s475 single and maybe down the road we may run a s480 over a 5?? in a compound setup. I'd say go minimum of s475 personally s480 sounds even better. I am Looking forward to what you choose to go with Dave.

Last edited:
Sorry for the wrong information about the turbo then. I guess the guy that told me they were big didn't know what he was talking about. I don't know personally as I haven't worked on a 6.7L. I really haven't even done much research on what works on them compared to the 5.9s just that they can spool much bigger turbos a lot easier. Just throwing out my 5.9 experience and how I had to go about adding fuel and air separately.

I guess what would have summed up what I was trying to say in my long post was that I'd much rather have the fuel and have to be careful about how hot stuff was getting as opposed to having really crappy lag all the time. I've had my little 62 way over fueled for over 2 years now but at least it spools instantly...just gets a little hot sometimes. Everybody has their preferences and I can't really contribute an opinion on which turbo to go with as all I know is 5.9L.

I am thinking about upgrading in the next year or 2 to a 6.7L and parting mine out. I'll let Dave work out the kinks first. Maybe they'll have a better tranny to deal with before I get ready

Sorry for the wrong information about the turbo then. I guess the guy that told me they were big didn't know what he was talking about. I don't know personally as I haven't worked on a 6.7L. I really haven't even done much research on what works on them compared to the 5.9s just that they can spool much bigger turbos a lot easier. Just throwing out my 5.9 experience and how I had to go about adding fuel and air separately.

I guess what would have summed up what I was trying to say in my long post was that I'd much rather have the fuel and have to be careful about how hot stuff was getting as opposed to having really crappy lag all the time. I've had my little 62 way over fueled for over 2 years now but at least it spools instantly...just gets a little hot sometimes. Everybody has their preferences and I can't really contribute an opinion on which turbo to go with as all I know is 5.9L.

I am thinking about upgrading in the next year or 2 to a 6.7L and parting mine out. I'll let Dave work out the kinks first. Maybe they'll have a better tranny to deal with before I get ready

Your right on for a 5.9 bud..And I mean right on. These 6.7's are just complete opposites..WAY WAY less fuel, and way more air..If you don't want to break anything you add the air first..I know its gonna be a pita to drive, but if I add fuel now it won't be any easier, I'm gonna be baby'g that throttle and not towing for crap...With too much air I'm gonna be giving her hell to try to spool up and keeping my rpm's up...The 5.9 likes more fuel than air and the 6.7 is just opposite...I'm way under on the learning curve, but getting more and more each day...

By the way, really sorry you couldn't get yours together intime for the event...That really bites. I did win 3rd in the brackets...Freaking track owner beat me in the semi's w/a 16.91 on a 16.89..I missed my launch by 3 lbs and that cost me .18 sec's...Ran a 14.88 on my 14.70 et...Oh well. Best time of the night (For bracket purposes) was a 14.6908 on a 14.70 et...I couldn't catch the other dude and stayed in it till the last 10ft or so...He broke out by like .35 or something stupid like that.. SO I won that one...

Back to topic...

DodgeRam--your right on the not wanting to replace it thing.. I'm wanting something that I can run the 2.6 class in and run my brackets in..>I just love brackets, especially in a diesel...Really interesting how 1lb of boost at launch cost ya...Actually 3 lbs cost me 800 tonight...*RATZZZZ* I know I would have hit that damn near dead on...Oh well.

I really think I'm gonna eliminate the 480 and start really looking into the 472 or 475...With 150 sticks later down the road...I just don't think that 480 is going to get after it like I want...I would think you'd need 250 or so sticks to stay on top of it...Might be wrong...Who knows...I haven't completely decided yet.. Currently looking for my tranny now..*47RH here we come, maybe 48re if price is right, but I'm freaking tired of electronics,,,,,I want a lockup switch and lets go)

Once I source out my tranny I'm gonna want to buy the turbo and manifold...Then I'm going to take the new turbo and manifold over to the track and roast the living daylights out of this 68...I still don't understand why its just smiling it me..Get's stronger with every run..If I can keep the temps up..>Wasn't hard at all in test-n-tune when I was hot lapping her for 2 hours...But we had too many racers tonight, both diesel heads up, and bracket, then gaser's box, non-box, street, jr drag, and drag...Like 300 or so cars running...Got 6 or 7 passes in from 5:30 to 12:30...Too much time in-between...

Dodge- I'd like to know more about these flow rates. Where can I get that data on the different wheels w/diff covers', and diff sizes...Etc...That is something that I frankly haven't looked into yet...

I understand the not wanting to buy a turbo more than once. I'd suggest a s475 or maybe one of the new EFRs from borg warner if you havent done research on them you should very cool turbochargers IMO. the difference in most s475 and s480s is going to be around the 200 thousanths area if I'm thinking right. s475 being .200 smaller than the s480.

here is a link on site about the flow rates on several different turboes I dont think any are with race covers though
Turbo Flow Rates - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Here is a link on site about the new EFR turboes not much info here ,but I have heard that theyre in this months DP Magazine
Borg Warner EFR series turbos.... - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Do a batmo S475. Stainless Diesel will take care of you too. Don't think you'll be disappointed. $.02