Borg SXE vs Garrett GTX

The GT50 mentioned above is actually a Detroit unit. As for the HX60, one needs to avoid the turbine wheels produced in India and mind a few specific areas of concern, with that we have had very good luck durability wise.

A lot depends on the wording of the particular set of rules you intend to pull with, but he sells a radius wheeled 2.5 charger on his website, Infinite Performance. Link in his signature... 2.5 seems to vary a lot between areas so may want to post up the information you want a turbo to pass with before ordering anything. S400 based turbos seem to be the majority of 2.5 builds though.

Yes it is done quite often, the back plate needs replaced on the GT45 to use a GT42 compressor cover, the shafts are the same size.

Thanks for the help. When Weston mentioned that the turbine performed better on the GT42's/45's, I got to wondering if something could be thrown together for one of those classes. I don't see anything available for the compressor side which would explain why I don't know if I've ever seen one in either of those classes. Would be down the road, mostly due to finances but also I think they are trying to condense the classes a little bit due to our economic climate here. 2.5 and 2.6 are so similar, I think they'll have to try combining them in the next little while.
Pertaining to 2.5-
Turbocharger:
The turbocharger is limited to one single turbo with a wheel inducer of 63.5mm or less. Bushed or Clipped turbo chargers are prohibited. No M.P.E. groove modds. Any turbine or housing size permitted.
And for 2.6-
Modified Street trucks with a turbo wheel inducer no larger than 66mm, turbo must use o.e.m. compressor cover and wheel. No wheel clipping or M.P.E. groove modds. Any turbine or housing size permitted

I think everybody in 2.5 just pretty much runs a box S464. I'm not sure on 2.6 other then they are BW's. I kinda wondered if they might try a squeeze 87 wheels into a couple, but there's nothing visually apparent. I question whether there's a conventional S466 wheel around with as good a characteristics as a 366sxe.

Anyone want to do back to back dyno runs on an sxe and a garret for me and everyone else interested? LOL

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Both the GT42/45 have better turbine wheels than the equivalent from Borg Warner, however every factory available turbocharger seems to be a bit lacking on the compressor side.

I would say that would depend on the power goal, the BW 74/83mm turbine will tend to spool a bit faster than the GT42, but will produce more power all other things equal.

I'm confused by these two posts. The way I read it, you said the GT42/45 have better turbine wheels, then in the second post you said the Borg 83/74 will spool faster but will produce more power. (all else equal)

Not saying you contradicted yourself, I think I must have misunderstood something. :what:

It would appear I didn't make that very clear, the 74/83mm BW will spool faster but not make as much power as the GT42 all else equal.

Is there a comparable Garrett to the BW s467?

GT4094 I believe.

My dumbed down understanding is that a 4094 doesn't move the same air on the compressor side. Even the GTX's, their maps aren't comparable to the BW's on models smaller then the GTX4202. And with the SXE's coming out, it could be going to another level yet. I'd really like to try one of the 42 or 45 turbines out, but I can't see anything comparable to the 464's or 467's.

Good turbo for D16 Volvo, might be even better with GTX compressor, now it surges at 950 rpm..
Leiffi we know this Volvo engine very well as we done a load of them and it’s just wasting money trying to use these turbo. What will be the aim on hp and when will it need to start pulling boost.

Leiffi we know this Volvo engine very well as we done a load of them and it’s just wasting money trying to use these turbo. What will be the aim on hp and when will it need to start pulling boost.

It already makes about 1000, I believe with software finetuning it makes over 1100. Should make 2,5 bar at 1000 rpm and over 3 bar beginning from1100 rpm without surge. With 11 blade GTX wheel it could make over 3 bar at 1000 rpm. I believe it would be a good turbo for Scania also, much better than S400 and could be machined to original housings like in my Volvo.

My dumbed down understanding is that a 4094 doesn't move the same air on the compressor side. Even the GTX's, their maps aren't comparable to the BW's on models smaller then the GTX4202. And with the SXE's coming out, it could be going to another level yet. I'd really like to try one of the 42 or 45 turbines out, but I can't see anything comparable to the 464's or 467's.
So the GT4094 is not comparable to a BW s467?