boxed in my frame

olegreen95

truck was gettin bad with rust so took it all the way down and started from the frame up its gettin ready to be powder coated but before i do was wondering if any one had any suggestions or ideas that might improve it its 1/4" on the back rails and 3/8" from the center crossmember forward the back three crossmembers are 150 wall 3'' tubing. moved forward rear axle shock mount to the back and located both back shocks slightly back on the frame almost straight up truck will be drove on the weekends, pulled, and drag raced some engine will be a 13mm p pump 12v hoping around 800hp plus some nitrous thanks tim
DSCN0889.jpg

DSCN0920.jpg

DSCN0916.jpg

DSCN0975.jpg

DSCN0969.jpg

The frame should still flex some, but I would think that more cracking will result from the frame being too rigid. The boxing should help keep the front tires planted though.

The frame should still flex some, but I would think that more cracking will result from the frame being too rigid. The boxing should help keep the front tires planted though.

Actually the other way around, a rigid frame will lift the front of the truck more, a frame that flexes will let the front tires stay down.

I hate the fact that my frame flexes. Granted I don't sled pull with it, but every bump I go over, I can feel it kinda bouncing in the center. like a huge leaf spring. also the rear lower corners of my cab are collapsing for some reason. I think this has something to do with it.

Actually the other way around, a rigid frame will lift the front of the truck more, a frame that flexes will let the front tires stay down.

You are right. Not sure what I was thinking there? Had a brain fart.

I hate the fact that my frame flexes. Granted I don't sled pull with it, but every bump I go over, I can feel it kinda bouncing in the center. like a huge leaf spring. also the rear lower corners of my cab are collapsing for some reason. I think this has something to do with it.

Check the frame, mine had too cracks in it.

Thats alot of work, you ever thought of just buying a third gen, or just a third gen frame? Were you after rigidity or just boxed for strength.

i boxed it in because the rear section was seperating from the center the back section is 1\4 inch so im sure with a massive load such as a sled it will still flex some dont know if its the right thing to do but i haven't seen any body else do it so i figured what the hell, i have another stock frame if it doesnt work i am rebuilding the truck from the ground up with a new body so the frame was already goin to be apart all i have in it is some wire and gas so dont see a reason to buy anything
has anyone tried to make a frame this rigid yet?
how rigid are open trucks with a purpose built frame?
if the hanging weight on the front keeps the front end down
and the frame isnt flexing badly in the middle wont it
help to raise the front of the sled slightly helpin to reduce
some drag?
like i said dont know if its right but willing to try guess i see in the spring
planning on pullin in the 2.8 class

Not quite sure what body you are starting with but now would be a good time to convert a short bed if you wanted too.

Sounds like your cab mounts are rusted out.

So it's a bad thing when guys go to a tube chassis? :confused: You won't see them flex hardly at all. I don't see how frame flex will help with pulling, isn't that why you have springs? I could see with no suspension how frame flex would help keep the front tire planted but not with suspension. Maybe I'm missing something....

So it's a bad thing when guys go to a tube chassis? :confused: You won't see them flex hardly at all. I don't see how frame flex will help with pulling, isn't that why you have springs? I could see with no suspension how frame flex would help keep the front tire planted but not with suspension. Maybe I'm missing something....

i don't think we're missing anything.. mod trucks have a solid rear suspension with a tube chassis and coil-over control arm suspension in the front.. solid rear suspension doesn't move and the chassis doesn't flex..

i don't think we're missing anything.. mod trucks have a solid rear suspension with a tube chassis and coil-over control arm suspension in the front.. solid rear suspension doesn't move and the chassis doesn't flex..

That's exactly what I was getting at. I don't think you should be relying on frame flex to keep the front tires planted.