Brackets vs. Heads up

MAYBEEEEE if you DIP your whole truck in the giggle juice, you'll drop into the 12's ;) :bang:hehe::poke:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha . . . ummmm . . . yeah. How about I kidnap Boost Dog and drop him down my stack? :hehe: :hehe:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha . . . ummmm . . . yeah. How about I kidnap Boost Dog and drop him down my stack? :hehe: :hehe:

:confused: :confused: :aiwebs_018: :eek: :eek:
:banned::banned::banned: :rules::umno::stab::mad::eek::frown:

God knows where you live Messina.

Last edited:
Ok then, I'll get started....
1.McRat
2.Joe@PPE (currently blown up)
3.Mike D.
4.Adam Winslett
5.Chris Werner
6.Riles (you don't count)
7.Steve (11.0 Dodge @ Famoso)
8.TJ (694rwhp ford--should run 11's)

Hey there's 8 right there.

More...

Nick D.
Fletcher
Lenny (dynomite--blown trans but should run at least 11's)

What a great thread. I really like constructive comments.

I'll offer my opinion, which is just that, mine. :hehe:

The 12 second index class was created because it allowed a truck to run under the index before needing a roll bar and other safety equipment. I actually would like to see the class go 11.90 when the racers are ready. But fact was this class has run as fast as 11.20's in test and tune (that would be you George) and being able to adjust to track conditions is important in this class. If the index were much lower, you would have trucks possibly running faster than they are legal for, which would have them disqualified. But this class has always been a blast to watch. Very exciting racing.

NADM's Unlimited Heads up is a blast but you are limited in equal entries. Heads up also means it's every thing you can throw at it, and in most cases, that includes money. Some like this class, others don't. Some think they like it until they get into it and find out the thousands they spent was good for one race, but more is needed if they are going to beat "racer X" at the next one. This class is an important part of this sport though.

NADM retained a 10.50 Index class which is our Pro Street, for those that have a killer street truck that want to limit their expense. Build your truck to meet the Index and leave it alone.

I too like the split bracket NHRDA does. As a former bracket racer, I can still show you the video where I am racing a 17 second truck with my 13 second truck and the wait felt like hours. NADM chose to leave one bracket class until there are more bracket racers consistently at the events. If the turnout is like it was in CA, I can see that happening.

As mentioned in previous post, truck count will also determine how many classes organizers will have. For now, I suggest get out and have some fun. :poke:

You can count me in for a 10.5 class. My truck is getting a cage in the next few weeks, and I think I have the hp to get it down the track!

As racers/drivers what would you like to see? Quick 4 or 8 class with payouts to qualify and larger payouts to place and win. Example 1 quick 8 $100.00 to qualify, 1st place $700.00 2nd $500.00 for 11.49 and faster. Example 2 1st $500.00, 2nd $300.00, Semis $100.00 each for 11.50 and slower

Riles,

You can't have an 11.50 class ;) It's right on the Tech safety req. line:poke:

The fastest you could go with the index is 11.80 and that would be pushing it.

I like the idea of the split bracket classes. Racing my 17 second truck makes it tough to judge the top end when it's an 11 second truck in the other lane. Conversely (as previously mentioned) it must seem like an eternity to wait 5 seconds at the starting line (I know, I did it plenty of times when running a low-9-second car). I still think index classes are fun, though, and plan to build a truck for QD as soon as I can afford it.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

i know that when i frist got into the whole diesel thing, the first event i went to was the J and H Performance nor cal diesel rally in Redding Cal. and when i was watching the braket i didnt know what the hell was going on. Heads up is a lost more understandeable for fans because that is what they are use to watching. Money should help bring out fast trucks im just not sure how much it will take to bring them out.Theres my $.02 riles, now just dont bleed me out to bad :bow:

I personally like what NHRDA came up with for classes because if you don't like bracket you can run heads up, after they get a season or two under their belt and look at the majority at all events and then maybe tweak it slightly and adjust the brackets. As for heads up leave it alone it is what it is if you wish to run their then build a ride to get you their! The more splits in classes requires more volunteers requires more time to stage an event etc etc etc,Not to mention the extra costs in advertising, trophy's.$.02

Diesel Drag racing is in its infancy as far time goes. The NHRA has been around for a loooonnnnnngggggg time. I remember going to Diesel Drags with only 20 trucks there. Now you see truck counts in the 100+ range. Give it some time. With the promoters of these events out there now, it is only a matter of time before you really see the crowds.

And I too do hate seeing a 9.90 car on the box running 9.90 @ 175mph. How do you watch your mirror for that???????

And I too do hate seeing a 9.90 car on the box running 9.90 @ 175mph. How do you watch your mirror for that???????

I saw a preview of things to come about 18 years ago, at a Saturday cash bash at a big race (which was running 7.90-10.90 super categories). I ended up in the final against a 7.90 dragster (175 mph), and my car was capable of ~9.20 and had a throttle stop coming on in high gear (~126 mph trap speeds). I had been on the tree all day, and consequently was on the brakes every pass. I had no idea where I was in relation to my dial-in (no weather station, and this was before the 330', 660' & 1000' times were recorded). I tree'd the heck out of her (by almost a tenth), but tapped the brakes at the other end and let her by.

Ted Seipel has been doing reasonably well against the 175 mph monsters with his "old school" car at 126 mph. I plan to "re-debut" my car in "old-school" mode, and see if I can fare as well as Ted has. If not, I'll probably end up building a bigger motor and changing the gearing, and becoming another high-speed car.

Then again, maybe I'll spend the money building a diesel race truck instead...

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Ok then, I'll get started....
1.McRat
2.Joe@PPE (currently blown up)
3.Mike D.
4.Adam Winslett
5.Chris Werner
6.Riles (you don't count)
7.Steve (11.0 Dodge @ Famoso)
8.TJ (694rwhp ford--should run 11's)

Hey there's 8 right there.

You forgot someone Jason :tree::st::evil

The Fat Kid
Andy

I saw a preview of things to come about 18 years ago, at a Saturday cash bash at a big race (which was running 7.90-10.90 super categories). I ended up in the final against a 7.90 dragster (175 mph), and my car was capable of ~9.20 and had a throttle stop coming on in high gear (~126 mph trap speeds). I had been on the tree all day, and consequently was on the brakes every pass. I had no idea where I was in relation to my dial-in (no weather station, and this was before the 330', 660' & 1000' times were recorded). I tree'd the heck out of her (by almost a tenth), but tapped the brakes at the other end and let her by.

Ted Seipel has been doing reasonably well against the 175 mph monsters with his "old school" car at 126 mph. I plan to "re-debut" my car in "old-school" mode, and see if I can fare as well as Ted has. If not, I'll probably end up building a bigger motor and changing the gearing, and becoming another high-speed car.

Then again, maybe I'll spend the money building a diesel race truck instead...

You pretty much have to be able to run 155+ now to be competitive. True you do see the odd guy running well in the 130-145mph range, but not very often. I personally like Comp Eliminator. Big dollars but here are the rules, now see how fast you can go. Super stock too is a great class. I tune one of the fastest beetles in Canada. We run 9.40s at 140mph looking to go faster. But the old saying, speed costs money, how fast do you want to go.

You pretty much have to be able to run 155+ now to be competitive. True you do see the odd guy running well in the 130-145mph range, but not very often. I personally like Comp Eliminator. Big dollars but here are the rules, now see how fast you can go. Super stock too is a great class. I tune one of the fastest beetles in Canada. We run 9.40s at 140mph looking to go faster. But the old saying, speed costs money, how fast do you want to go.

That's pretty dang fast for a VW!!!

I liked Comp until they came up with the CIC rules. Now it's almost like bracket racing! Okay, there is some strategy to it (like shutting off if your opponent redlights), but at the end of the day you want to cut the best light you can, then win by as little as possible (which seems an awful lot like bracket racing).

Do you go to the Div 6 divisionals? I used to run them all back in the 1980's and early 1990's. Hoping to have my car back together in time for the Woodburn event (it hasn't been down the track since 1993). Some people have tried to talk me into running it in Super Street instead, but I would have to carry around 500 lbs of ballast!

Regards,
Michael Pliska

I think that is the best idea I have seen on hear. In my opinion heads up is much funner to compete or to watch. The 12.0 class is a very good class to have but for the one time a year J&H event I don't thinks it's necessary to have. You could have all those classes plus one or maybe two bracket classes, beacuase those are draw the most racers. One way to draw spectators that might be a gamble is to hand out free tickets but charge like $10 per car load for parking and make sure youl have a lot of concession stands and souvineers. That idea came from the ADRL which has the biggest turnouts of any pro modified drag racing series, there last race in October had 35,000 fans during the two day race. The race before that they closed the gates because the fire marshall said there were too many people and it was a hazard.
That seems like kind of a lot of classes to fill, I do like your idea of a quik 8 with big payouts, the money will draw more quik trucks.
i think they should do it like truck pulling with inducer sizes, but also throw in tire types (slicks, DOT slicks, street tires, etc., etc.......), and also power adders, like this for instance:

stock turbo, DOT street tires, no drag radials, 2wd must weigh XXXX, 4x4 has to weigh XXXX, must use all suspension and drivetrain components that came factory on that brand of truck......

2.6 turbo, DOT Drag radials, 2wd must weigh XXXX, 4x4 has to weigh XXXX, must have stock unaltered frame rails and use all factory drivetrain components from that brand of truck, truck must be street driveable, and make them prove it, make them all set and idle for 15 minutes before passing them for tech, that will weed out the trailer queens.....

your big single charger class (2.8, 3.0 blah, blah, blah....) Slicks allowed, 2wd must weigh XXXX and run this max size of tire, 4x4 has to weigh XXXX and run this max size of tire, reason i say that is because you will have the same contact patch wether 4x4 or 4x2, must use stock frame rails to the back of the cab, does not have to be street legal, nitrous allowed

same class as above but with unlimited twin turbos

Mod Class, tube frame, big turbos, all the spray those puppies can eat.....

that is just my way of thinking it would clear stuff up....seems to work for us sled pullers......

Also, I think the 11.50 class is too close to 11.49 where you have to have a cage, if any one without one runs too quik they're done racin for the weekend. One class that I liked but did not have many trucks was the stick shift heads up class, that was pretty fun to watch.
As far as the heads up classes, I would say;
Stock: dot tires of any type, stock suspension, full interior, oem body, oem trans and transfer case, stock apearing turbo, engine, and injection pump, no dual CP3's, diesel only. 2wd-4800 lbs 4wd-5600 lbs
Street: Only difference is 2.6 turbo, dual CP3's permitted
Real street: 2.8 turbo
Extreme street: Unlimited single or twins
Wild street: Unlimted single or twins and nitrous, propane, and methanol permitted. Non dot tires permitted.
Outlaw: 4-link permitted
Pro street: Anything with a full tube chassis, no weight minimum
I think that would be a lot of classes to get a 4 or 8 truck field for but it would definantly be worth trying in my opinion. The rules are just an idea of what might be competitive. And since it's heads up have two qualifying rounds where 1vs8 2vs7 3vs6 and 4vs5.

I had been on the tree all day, and consequently was on the brakes every pass. I had no idea where I was in relation to my dial-in (no weather station, and this was before the 330', 660' & 1000' times were recorded). I tree'd the heck out of her (by almost a tenth), but tapped the brakes at the other end and let her by.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Sounds like a bad habit Michael ;-) Sorry couldn't resist.LOL