building a puller

gottacummins

I just picked up a 88 chevy crew cab long bed 4x4 and I wanted to drop a cummins in it and pull in the 2.6 class. I havnt had a whole lot experiance with a cummins so im not real up to speed on all the performance parts ill need. I know there are a bunch of options. Should I run a 12v, p pumped 24 valve, common rail i dont know what direction to go. Im tryin to make good power and be very compeditive will wall the stiff competition in southern ohio and ky. Just tryin to get a list of mods what would put me up there in the top five or so. Any ideas will be helpful.

Thanks

That is going to be difficult. Best bet is to search around on here. Hope your pocket is deep because there are a lot of good running 2.6 trucks out in the area you are looking to compete in.

i like this set up... p pumped 24valve with a common rail head and a whole lot of fuel and a whole lot of air...

Im wanting to win. lol ya I know all about the common rail with the bosch computer that cranked 5200 rpm. Terry martin done the same thing, thats just to much money for me for a 2.6 truck. I used to pull a six speed but it I got beat by alot of automatics should I build a nandshaker or a auto?

Ya i have to clue why but i have been reading alot on here and I found five or six forums that where about a p pumped 24v not reving over around 3700 or so.

so what would be the difference in buying a 24 valve, doing a p pump conversion and sticking a common rail head on it compaired to taking a 12valve and sticking a common rail head on it? would that be the same deal?

so what would be the difference in buying a 24 valve, doing a p pump conversion and sticking a common rail head on it compaired to taking a 12valve and sticking a common rail head on it? would that be the same deal?

Pretty close, but you need to change pistons in the 12v.

change the pistons to 24v pistons or common rail pistons? And are all the rods the same length? I might be gettin my hands on a block that needs bored out how big can i go? What compression ratio should i stick with?

Whats wrong with taking the head milling the intake off and a port n polish. My best bet is it would be cheaper and flow just as good if not better.

I left the line at 4700 this weekend...

There is only ONE reason why a ppumped truck couldn't turn rpms like a 12V: operator error...

lol that could be the problem, so got-torque you runnin a p pump 24 valve with a common rail head? how did you do this weekend?

you need to figure out your budget, there are a 1000 different ways to go about the build and lots of places to spend money but if your on a budget then money will be spent better in some places rather than others.

for a 2.6 on a budget id put together a decent bottom end but not spend to much on the details. balance, good piston, good cam profile on a cast cam core, then spend your money on turbocharging and fuel injection plus a little engine dyno work and youll have a runner.

pm me if your intrested in more details