built tranny

1stgencummins17

just a sled puller
i recently got a built tranny for my 93 its a 518 with billet shafts an all the good stuff. i also got a specrite converter to go with it. so my question is im putting it all in this weekend is there anything tht i should pay extra attention to wen putting it in or anything to look out for? An also what kinda of fluid do you guys recomend or run in ur built autos? Ive heard john deere hygard is really good but want to get sum opionions first

Turn the converter until you feel it go back into the lugs and DO NOT PULL IT OUT!!!

I have a 727 with sheared pump lugs.

Like stated, make sure the converter is seated all the way into the transmission before you bolt it up. When you get the trans in place up against the adapter plate on the block before bolting the two together make sure that the converter is free, it should be able to move back and forth between the trans and flexplate at least an 1/8", this will verify that it is fully engaged to the trans.

Many people run the hygard with good results. My brother and I have always run Dexron 3 in our transmissions, it's a better choice than ATF+4 for a performance application.

ok thanks for the replies im glad i asked this question did not know tht. Rockjeep73 im glad u chimed in this is the tranny tht i got off ur brother an wondered wat you guys ran.

I have been a big promoter of Hy-Gard recently and I will say this, we had a cold snap recently here in Las Vegas 45-50* F overnight lows and my Junker Drag Truck is running about a 90% mixture of Hy-Gard and Ford Type F and it takes a few minutes for the tranny to shift normally till the fluid warms up a bit. I think for cooler weather, you'd definitely want to limit the Hy-Gard to about 50% or run the thinner winter-time Hy-Gard.

If you're the kind of guy that lets his truck idle for 5 minutes on cold mornings, then it probably won't be an issue running 50-75% Hy-Gard depending on outside temps.

well i ended up using dexron 3 in it really shifts good an def improved the truck ended up picking of 10 lbs of boost with the change

How do you like the spec rite? Which one did you go with, the aluminum stater one or the steel stater converter.
I'm getting ready to build my a518, I won't be doing any billet shafts but I'd love to hear the details of the rest of your build. What Parts were upgraded, what was used for the upgrades?
Thanks!
Ps. How much boost were you seeing before the transmission was done, picking up 10psi is nice.

i love my specrite rite, i have the steel stator, i bought my tranny already built from smokin93 pm him an ask him questions about it if you like but i do know it has red alto eagle clutches he added clutches an steels were he could. dtt valvebody, an a couple other billet parts. an of course billet input an output. i was hitting 20lbs before tranny an converter swap. after the swap it went from 20 to 30lbs an highest i seen was 32lbs an tht was with stock injectors with an hx40 hybrid. now im hitting like 40lbs but thts with 6x.018s

Cool, thanks!
Billet input, I've never heard of of breaking one but that's good insurance/peace of mind. I talker do a guy who broke his intermediate in the a518.
Thanks again for the info!
i cant answer the fuel mileage question cause my speedometer does not work

no problem
i have a stock intermediate in mine kinda scares me sometimes but this tranny has had 900 plus horse goin through it at one time so doesnt bother me tht much

Wow, sounds like a tough unit!
Edit: I actually already PM'ed smokin93 last night to ask him about his trans!
no problem
i have a stock intermediate in mine kinda scares me sometimes but this tranny has had 900 plus horse goin through it at one time so doesnt bother me tht much

Last edited:
ah he's got a 47re now but he built the one tht i have so im sure he could give u some useful info

maybe p pumped with twins, big arse twins. I'd like to see a ve pumped 900 horse 1st gen LOL

No one said anything about a VE pump, well not until you edited your original post. And yes it is a 1st gen, stock engine, p-pumped, single turbo with nitrous.

Like I said, the truck made right around 700hp when we had the 518 in it which is now in 1stgencummins17's truck, and just north of 900hp now.