bully dog or ppe

02psd7.3

any thoughts

i have a 2007 ram 5.9 4x4 6 speed with the leveling kit and 35s

thanks

i hav heard of to many problems with the smarty and i heard the only have one tech guy

Yea, good luck getting a major problem resolved with the Smarty. After 10 months of dealing with the Smarty and the lack of tech support, I sold it to try something else. I put on a Bully Dog triple dog with outlook. I had some problems getting it loaded correctly and called tech at Bully Dog. They were awesome to deal with. Turns out the Smarty left traces in the computer that the Bully Dog did not like. He walked me through the steps of completely removing all traces of the Smarty. One phone call and it was fixed! Bully Dog has great customer service. I can't answer for PPE, never tried their stuff.

02psd7.3 said:
i hav heard of to many problems with the smarty and i heard the only have one tech guy

I use BDDL and PPE.....have nothing but good things to say about both of them. I think PPE has a HP edge though.

i have used both....i ran consistant times with BD. I ran 1 13.9 sec time with PPE and ran 13.9's everytime with BD. I did have trouble with PPE not letting me return the truck to stock. I had to "re-download" a file off my computer everytime i wanted to change the PPE. I sold it and now run BD and have had no problem yet.....

Don't waste your time with Smartys.....I don't think you want your truck to run away like my truck when a Smarty is loaded on it.

PPE currently does not make anything for an 07 so that leaves Bullydog. I've been a long time fan of Bullydog until I tried PPE.

About service....some guys at PPE are morons. Took 2.5 weeks to get my order right. I love their product but I've learned if I want any real answer just to call and talk to their a certain guy. He had me going in ten minutes when the other guys took 2+ weeks.

Bullydog's service is great IF you get the right guy. Shoot me a PM and I'll tell ya who is the best to ask for when you call the Addison, TX location :pop:

973604x4 said:
Don't waste your time with Smartys.....I don't think you want your truck to run away like my truck when a Smarty is loaded on it.

PPE currently does not make anything for an 07 so that leaves Bullydog. I've been a long time fan of Bullydog until I tried PPE.

About service....some guys at PPE are morons. Took 2.5 weeks to get my order right. I love their product but I've learned if I want any real answer just to call and talk to their a certain guy. He had me going in ten minutes when the other guys took 2+ weeks.

Bullydog's service is great IF you get the right guy. Shoot me a PM and I'll tell ya who is the best to ask for when you call the Addison, TX location :pop:

Just sent you a PM about who to talk to at BD.....Thanks

back to this Smarty comment....go read about the latest problems with the new smarty software release. Its crazy **** LOL LOL LOL

Interesting. After I lost my key count, Bob told me it was impossible to replace them. Now they are saying no big deal. Guess it does not matter anymore to me. Worst thing I ever did to the 04.5 was download a Smarty, best thing I ever did was get rid of the Smarty. Customer service there could be improved greatly. I think the Smarty secret motto is "minor glitch - no problem. Major issues - blame someone else!" Looks like they have a glitch they can not blame on anyone else and are currently not posting.

Last edited:
973604x4 said:

I heard Addison, Tx is a thing of the past.... The Aberdeen bunch is back in control of sales and service. I needed help with something the other day, waited on hold for 35 minutes and then got the deer in the headlights response.... I think it's true:bang

Bully Dog in Texas is done.... can anyone confirm?

JacktheBear3 said:
I heard Addison, Tx is a thing of the past.... The Aberdeen bunch is back in control of sales and service. I needed help with something the other day, waited on hold for 35 minutes and then got the deer in the headlights response.... I think it's true:bang

news to me. I will call Monday to find out.

SmokinCummins said:
Interesting. After I lost my key count, Bob told me it was impossible to replace them. Now they are saying no big deal. Guess it does not matter anymore to me. Worst thing I ever did to the 04.5 was download a Smarty, best thing I ever did was get rid of the Smarty. Customer service there could be improved greatly. I think the Smarty secret motto is "minor glitch - no problem. Major issues - blame someone else!" Looks like they have a glitch they can not blame on anyone else and are currently not posting.

Any manufacture releasing "beta" or "alpha" or other potentally dangerous software, should be fully responsible for the out come--- with out pushing the blame on the consumer or anyone else for that matter.

This angers me to see companies just " scating by " and pushing the blame on others. We should boycott those companies.

Now your warranty is void, injectors are cracked, busted or leaking, truck is rattling constantly, and who know what else. All because they neglect the importance of quality controll.

ECM software should be 100% correct ( in the lab/ on the PC ) before it is released. ( checked several times )

Then testing should resume on a few testing vehicles of different years.
( checked several times)
Then and then only if all areas of concern are passed, should it be released to the public.

It's called quality controll.
( I dont think two guys can handle all that)
Now step up to the plate guys, and improve your companies, with better/ more customer service and better/ more quality controll. If you dont things will surely come back to haunt you.

JacktheBear3 said:

I talked to Andrew 3 times last week and he is located in Addison. Was on hold for maybe 2 minutes each time. I know Buddy Kunz in Idaho is the man. He is the end all for Dodge issue's for BDDL's.$.02

sootman said:
I talked to Andrew 3 times last week and he is located in Addison. Was on hold for maybe 2 minutes each time. I know Buddy Kunz in Idaho is the man. He is the end all for Dodge issue's for BDDL's.$.02

Trying to get a hold of Buddy is impossible too. I've left him several PM and he got back to me and told me to call him. I've since left several voice mails and again PMed him but.... no response.

IMO, if he's going to help people then he should and not just a select few. I know couple people that talk to him all the time and have just about all the custom tunes there are but.... why just them ? I'm sure Buddy is busy but, it seems customer service is a thing of the past with all these bigger companies. Sure, when they all start out you get all the service you need but, once the growth starts... forget any help !

triton said:
Trying to get a hold of Buddy is impossible too. I've left him several PM and he got back to me and told me to call him. I've since left several voice mails and again PMed him but.... no response.

IMO, if he's going to help people then he should and not just a select few. I know couple people that talk to him all the time and have just about all the custom tunes there are but.... why just them ? I'm sure Buddy is busy but, it seems customer service is a thing of the past with all these bigger companies. Sure, when they all start out you get all the service you need but, once the growth starts... forget any help !

Do you need a custum tune? I will get you one if you need one?

sootman said:
Do you need a custum tune? I will get you one if you need one?

yeah that would be sweet. I already have the 2.4PL but want to see what the others are like.

I've been wanting to actually " talk " to Buddy about my situation and see if he could write something to help or if what's out already will help.

Like I said... I guess you have to know someone to get anywhere.

One thing everyone needs to relieze that ALL the companies have had problems. I have seen alot of problems with bully dog but they get fixed. There tech support is great.Plus I live 2 hours from there head quarters in Idaho. I was not aware of the problems with the smarty but it seems if you have not updated or got the 4.4 beta program everything is all right. Beta testing is testing. If something happened while you were beta testing they will fix the problems. Thats why it is beta testing. Dont get me wrong I would still sell smarty, bully dog, ppe etc, what We could start a thread that went on for ever on whats the best chips out there. Its personal opionons with personal experience. Some have had bad luck with bully dog and wont go back to them same as all the other companies noone is perfect. If you dont want problems leave it stock