Can I swap TC's without pulling trans out from under truck?

Hurley

BLAKLUNG
I'm going to be swapping out my torque converter soon, and am curious if anyone has attempted or sucessfully swapped one out without pulling the trans out from under the truck.

truck is a 95 2wd. If it's not possible, I'll just go through the normal routine.

Yes you can but it makes it tougher unless your on a lift. Id get the front end jacked up at least 8 inches if doing it on the floor.

No problem, alot of it depends on how low your jack will let the trans go. Csnyder had a good idea, I would probably lift the whole truck up that 8-12 inches. Makes for stabbing it easier.

get the back up on ramps and front on jackstands,, the billet tc's are real heavy though. so dont get under it with it covered in ATF. Also, change the seal out while you ae there.. will save a headache later.

Yes you can do it without pulling it out from under the truck. Change the seal and prefill the t/c with a quart of atf. Install the converter and make sure the pump drive lines up. You will hear a autible clunk clunck when you roll it side to side.

after you think converter is all the way in, as you start re installing trans, just check and make sure its not interfering heavily with flex plate. it should spin independent of engine till bolted up... unless you really want to buy a front pump and housing... when you torque it down

Sounds good. I've helped on a few transmission installs previously, but it's been a few years (and different trucks).

Anyone use the ol' 'ratchet straps across the framerails' routine? looking at possibly going that route. That and of course paying a friend a 12-pack to help is a given. hhaa

we did it on my little truck, just moved the trans back and r&r the converter. but if i had it to do again, i would just pull it. we had it on a lift.

Hell its only a 2wd. Put it on your belly and scoot out from under the truck. :hehe:

Yes. You can. It works even better with a removable transmission cover.
4304_84367310875_612995875_2270290_1166186_n.jpg

Or you just get one freakin huge guy to hold it with one hand while you swap it. (I've done this, do not piss that guy off.)

Everyone hate on brandon now.

Threads like this make me appreciate having a lift at my house. :D

Just last night I swapped the torque converter in the 95' Junker Drag Truck, 2wd 47rh tranny.

It took me two hours to drop the tranny.
Then three more hours to get everything lined up and installed. ARGH.... Didn't get done in time to make it to the track last night.

I'm impressed if you guys can drop a tranny in 45 minutes working off the garage floor. It took me 30 minutes to get the exhaust and drive shaft out of the way!

Just last night I swapped the torque converter in the 95' Junker Drag Truck, 2wd 47rh tranny.

It took me two hours to drop the tranny.
Then three more hours to get everything lined up and installed. ARGH.... Didn't get done in time to make it to the track last night.

I'm impressed if you guys can drop a tranny in 45 minutes working off the garage floor. It took me 30 minutes to get the exhaust and drive shaft out of the way!

I feel ya-

Completed! in around 4-5hrs. there was a lot of 'learnin' done & someone damaged his pump seal and had to take an hours time to get a new one.

I'm confident that I can do it in half that time in the future.

I used two trans jacks on my 4x4 worked good had the truck in the air 8-10" just slide it back put the tc in and put back together

Back