Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

4x4dually said:
And this cat also claims a 2 mpg gain? I'm curious now...skeptical..but curious. I don't how a drive shaft can gain you mpg, but then again I ain't no mechanical engineer either.

you won't really gain any mileage in steady state (ie cruise) situations..more so in the transients, when the truck is accelerating. It's got less rotational mass.

BUT...CF may have more torsional strength, but it's really brittle. Once you find any damage, the next step is that it grenades.

diesels aren't particularly kind either because of the amount of low end torque. You load it without any preload, and parts tend to snap. Gassers make all their power up top in the upper rev range, so it's not as bad.

Hurry up and wait

I'm still waiting! ACPT is sending it out to be welded and balanced. Found out it is 3-3/4" diameter, 73" long and about 18lbs. They use Spicer u-joints and components. 2 more weeks before it arrives. I'll keep you'll posted.

Hey MARK1959, Have they shipped it yet? Do you know what day you are going to receive it? I'm really curious what a difference this will make.

hpprose said:
Hey MARK1959, Have they shipped it yet? Do you know what day you are going to receive it? I'm really curious what a difference this will make.

I found out that yesterday they sent it out for balancing. Jeez. it seems that it will be the beginning of next week before they ship it. I'm curious myself.

I'm guessing and hoping for just 10 rwhp. I wouldn't be estatic about 10 hp
but I'm trying to think realistically.

HEY!!! Lets do a survey, you guy's know a whole lot more that I do. I'm just a foolish man with a throwing out a grand for "who knows why"

hpprose said:

Talked to James Martin with ACPT today. Found out some interesting facts.
Way back in 1985, they sold their 1st driveshaft to Dan Gurney. They mfg.
300-400 shafts per year. Most all of them are for the rice burners.

James is waiting for the balancer to ship it back to him. Maybe Monday or Tuesday of next week before it gets sent my way.:pop:

If you guys are wanting one of these driveshafts you'll have to be patient.

33 days after Doug order it, it has finally, finally been shipped. And, the so called 18 lbs. is now 27.5lbs. I guess it gains weight with age.

So, sometime the 1st of next week, I'll have some pictures and weight difference between the two and some dyno #'s ???

Timbeaux38 said:
Are you guys killing stockers?
:thankyou2:

driveshaft.jpg

I love that photo. That’s just crazy

The 27.5lbs is still a lot less than our current driveshaft.

I want to apologize to everyone. When I ordered this driveshaft, I was told it would weigh about 18lbs. 4 days ago I was told that the driveshaft weighs 27.5lbs. Well, when it gets to me on Monday 23rd., it's going to weigh 32lbs. I posted exactly what James at ACPT told me. Seems that he was pulling numbers out of his _ _ _. Lets see 32lbs actual weight, told 18lbs. difference is 14lbs.,
which turns out to be 77.777% heavier than I expected.??????????

OH-well, I'm just happy that it's coming in.

Will be taking pictures

cannot wait to see the pictures and hear the difference/if any it makes.

Got some pictures from Mark. I uploaded them to the photo gallery. The shaft weighs in at 32lbs. It uses a carbon fiber tube with steel spicer components on the ends. There is a steel tube inserted into the carbon tube approximately 6 inches which lets them weld the spicer XL components to them. This thing is built with some quality.

Here is a pic of the complete shaft:

Driveshaft_Complete.jpg

Here is a pic of the shaft being weighed:

Carbon_Tube.jpg

Proof of the 32lbs:

Driveshaft_on_the_scale.jpg

The shaft has a double cardan CV front with a grease jerk to keep it lubed, it is Spicer XL components (the strongest u-joints on the market). The u-joints are a forged cross design unlike the factory cast pieces:

The_double_Cardan.jpg

Spicer XL U-joint at the pinion flange:

Spicer_XL_u-joint.jpg

Greaseable slip yoke (can't grease the factory shaft without taking it apart):

Slip_yoke.jpg

Pinion Flange:

Pinion_Flange.jpg

T-Case Flange:

T-Case_Flange.jpg

Okay, It came in, tried to install, but the ends of the driveshaft on a 06 is not the same as an 04. Sent, it back last Friday and tomorrow going to take off the driveshaft and get the correct measurements they need to fix the problem. I should have done this in the first place. Tomorrow at least I'll know what the 2-piece driveshaft weighs.