causes of relief valve to be hot to touch

2.5cummins

Just installed a twin cp3 kit and 150% injectors...after running 2-3 min i noticed the pressure relief valve was literally smoking, also noticed the return fuel was very hot.... so jot it took 4 hrs for my 5 gal fuel cell to get to room temp.... anybody heard of ot experienced this condition? Thanks

Give Todd a call at T&C Diesel! Sounds like your PRV is shot but that's my guess. Do you have a rail gauge?

No i do not have a rail pressure gauge, has efi swap so that should be an item that can be data logged with the efi live, just havnt messed with the data log function much yet.

I would data log your rail pressure but I'm with dangerous06 sounds like a bad PRV had this happen on my 06.

Id start with the dual cp3 box and fca connections make sure there goood 1st

Last edited:
X2 the controller is likely suspect if the valve is relieving right after the install. Fca's can stick on pumps that have sat a long time as well.

When I had the issue with high rail pressure mine was smoking also, get it checked out ASAP before you run it a bunch.

I havnt noticed much smoke at all... it has been harder to start, takes 5-10 sec of cranking.... have noticed sometimes the idle is high, sometimes its normal and sometimes its choppy buy clears up

Get some data logs.. The best thing about EFILive if the scan tool. Use it! The valve is likely doing its job. Your rail pressure is likely the culprit.

Last edited:
Comnrailpwr, how do you start a data log? I attempted to mess with it last night and there seemed to be a ton of options.... had lost for all sort of vehicles and what not

Ive got an auto cal with just a factory 06 tune.... my truck is an 03.... the plans were to dyno tune it this sat but looks like ive got some work to do now!

Got data logged! Recorded rpm, iat and rail pressure psi.... rpm and iat you could tell were reading correctly but rail was reading 27,532 psi and never budged.... removed belt and plugged in the original fca connector on the factory pump, still got same number on rail

Rail relief is doing what its supposed to do. FCA on factory pump stuck or the signal driving it failed.

Everything has been covered but are you sure it was smoke coming off the prv?

Because a 27kpsi fuel leak looks an awful lot like smoke.

Look at rail psi with key on engine off. if its 27k rail psi sensor is mostlikey bad or a short in that sensor wiring.

Last edited:
It reads 27k engine off with sensor plugged in or not... i think it defaults to max with it unplugged?