CEL: No RPM Gauge and..

Is there any way that I can test the Crank sensor?

Drove it to lunch and all was good. I'll bet that when I drive home it happens again.

The truck drives fine other than the RPM gauge stops and that one time in the drive through the RPM gauge went to zero and all the sudden my truck decided to rev up a little bit 3 or 4 times in a row, but only for a split second each time.

I'll report back in a couple hours when I drive it home.

Its a cheap part to replace. I would just replace sensor and check over wiring.

Do not break the sensor! That's a pain. Use gentle force while removing it.

Sounds like ecm to me. I have replaced my ecm twice. Same issues as you. Only the truck would rev when in gear and it was everything I could do to stand on the brakes to keep it stopped. Ecm controls tach, alternator, voltage gauge, etc...

Do you have a BD RAD installed on the truck?

Paul

I don't have torque management, so no I do not.

It did the slight revving up while in gear.

Nothing happened on the way home. So we will see what happens tomorrow morning on the way back to work.

Last edited:
Let me clarify.

It did read for codes when I initially plugged the "Innova 1403" into the port, but no codes were found. However it has an enhaced code section which gives me two options under that setting, Engine and Transmission. I chose engine and it never would communicate, BUT (that's a big but) I looked through the manual on the scan tool and it only covers diesels from 1992-95. Don't ask me why.

Im going to run the truck at lunch today and carry the scan tool with me so I can plug it in when the CEL comes back on.

Sounds like an OBD1 reader.

P0336 : Crank Shaft Position sensor calibration error (or something of that nature I can't remember the exact verbiage)

CEL came on this morning driving but the above code was all that was coming up.

Last edited:
Dun dun dun....the though plickens.

Companion code is routine....but the CCD bus in not. It connected the central timer and overhead and dash and blah blah blah.

Dun dun dun....the though plickens.

Companion code is routine....but the CCD bus in not. It connected the central timer and overhead and dash and blah blah blah.

:doh::doh:

So should I just start with the Crankshaft sensor and see what happens?

I'm not trying to scare you and make you think it is worse than it is.....just giving you food for thought. :D

First off grounds are the single biggest headache we have with these trucks.

No RPM on your truck is normally the sensor, HOWEVER trucks with the time rings attached to the crankshaft are prone to the Torx bit screws falling out and causing catastrophic issues. Easiest way is to pull the sensor out and check the condition. Now if the truck is equipped with both a cam sensor and a crank sensor then check both. Even the tone rings on the camshaft have been known to fall out.

No CCD message is ground problem. This code is caused by a bad ground for the entire dash. This gang ground is located behind the drivers kick panel next to the ebrake. Pull the panel and clean the connection. Dodge connected the gang ground over a painted surface.

If it was me I'd check the gang ground first before I went to replacing parts.

Simple stuff first.

First off grounds are the single biggest headache we have with these trucks.

No RPM on your truck is normally the sensor, HOWEVER trucks with the time rings attached to the crankshaft are prone to the Torx bit screws falling out and causing catastrophic issues. Easiest way is to pull the sensor out and check the condition. Now if the truck is equipped with both a cam sensor and a crank sensor then check both. Even the tone rings on the camshaft have been known to fall out.

No CCD message is ground problem. This code is caused by a bad ground for the entire dash. This gang ground is located behind the drivers kick panel next to the ebrake. Pull the panel and clean the connection. Dodge connected the gang ground over a painted surface.

If it was me I'd check the gang ground first before I went to replacing parts.

Simple stuff first.

Thanks for the help!

I will say that I had leaking batteries and the terminals were corroded but I put two new Platinum Diehards in Wednesday. I will check the other connections when I get home from out of town. My plan for Canada leaves in 4 hours so this project is on hold until next Sunday.

Happy Early Thanksgiving!

Ok, I'm back in the states after a very nice whitetail hunt.. :)

I'm going to check the ground tonight and go from there.

So you are gonna lay on it and see if it is ok or what? LOL

Grounds are a snipe hunt at best. Just my $.02

LOL Oh I know it's either the sensor or the ECM, but I can atleast try it. I mean the CEL came on today at lunch. :(

With my luck, that sensor is going to break when I try to remove it. I've also gotta find where the little booger is.