changing vp to P pump

Im never going to recomend a p-pump for towing. VP mops the floor with it. Performance applications are different. Ppump rules the roost.

Im never going to recomend a p-pump for towing. VP mops the floor with it. Performance applications are different. Ppump rules the roost.

Could that be because yours is set for performance and probably only good for towing large tanks?

I disagree... if you set up a P-pump truck for towing, it'll rock the house!

remember, one thing you have to do in order to tow is have a RUNNING TRUCK... that load isn't going to haul itself when you're stuck on the side of the road w/ a dead VP :p

with the right sized twins and a dialed in pump, a 12v will haul the mail! a LOT of it :)

Could that be because yours is set for performance and probably only good for towing large tanks?

When mine was first done it was a mild pump. #4 plate, 4GSK, AFC springed. I didnt tow much with it after the conversion. When I did, the thing that killed me was the curve on the Ppump. Felt like more of a line really. VP's at 1200 rpm have 2 or 3 times the torque of an equal peak HP powerd Ppump engine.

After it was going all was well. Taking off and going through the gears was just not to my liking. For personal taste the VP was a hell of alot better driving.

The P's do well, I just dont care for them as much when comparing manners.

Of course we could set the Ppump for the tow mode only. Bt wheres the fun in that?

ALL ON KILL!!!!!!!!!!:hehe:

So to my understanding the ve is a vp just with out the computer crap. Is it or not a mech pump like the p pump you just can't get the horse power out of it? :bang

All a VE and VP share is the rotary design an inabilty to make suficient HP.:kick:

(This sound right to you Forrest?)
12mm VE is maxed a 450 fuel HP
14mm VE is maxed at 650 on fuel
SO VP is maxed at 650ish on fuel
Monter VP aledgedly makes 850 on fuel
A P-pump hasnt found a dyno that can measure its max power:rockwoot:

Last edited:
So insted of doging the hell out of a ppump, I could go with a ve and get more relieable out of a ve than a vp.

I have a 98 12v with a bad motor (burning oil) I also have a good 24 valve setting around would it b worth while to p-pump the 24 and stick it in my 98 12v?

I have a 98 12v with a bad motor (burning oil) I also have a good 24 valve setting around would it b worth while to p-pump the 24 and stick it in my 98 12v?

In My opinion, NO. You own the holy grail of Dodge Cummins trucks - 98 12 valve. Rebuild the engine. I can't say without seeing your truck, but you could possibly get by with an in frame OH.

The SO VP will twins make more than 650 - but alot of people have a problem tuning them past that.

Thanks for all the help so far. :thankyou2: I was think about going with the SO pump but not sure what it would do since I have a HO motor?

if you are still looking for a parts list go to scheid's website or haisley's.

if you are still looking for a parts list go to scheid's website or haisley's.

yea and prepare to shell out a sh!t ton of cash...

from what i gathered, it is best to piece it together with the help from other people (as far as price goes)