check out this nasty stuff (egr related)

estrada5.9

So my simple maybe i'll check it out project turned into me making a egr block off plate and setting up a draft tube.I got 55.4 mpg's one time with all that built up in there to. Emissions crap is swell.
1104091158b.jpg
[/IMG]
1104091158a.jpg
[/IMG]
1104091325a.jpg
[/IMG]
1104091627a1.jpg

exactly... VP44's might be one of the most unreliable injection pumps on earth, and he's got one of those, but he won't buy a TDI because you have to clean the intake every now and then and/or block off the EGR? :shrug:

i dont have egr either... said that so i dont have to worry about that kind of thing..
i am not knocking the guy for owning the car, i wish mine got 55mpg
it was merely an observation
didnt believe it was worth getting crap over
and Estrada5.9 good luck on your mods, keep us posted i am subscribing

just thought it was funny that you were like "remind me not to get one of those!"

which is what I think every time I see a VP44 :p

Hes not giving you crap...........................thats just Forrest LOL

I had one these engines apart 2 years ago and the intake holes were plugged to the diameter of a penny.

VW turns the blow by tube into the intake just like the powerstrokes do. They put a filter on it that's supposed to be service regularly but it often gets overlooked because it sits right on top of the valve cover and you never realize it's there or what it does.

If you want an opinion...EGR delete...ECU tuning will be required to make the engine run without all the goodies.

Last edited:
I had one these engines apart 2 years ago and the intake holes were plugged to the diameter of a penny.

VW turns the blow by tube into the intake just like the powerstrokes do. They put a filter on it that's supposed to be service regularly but it often gets overlooked because it sits right on top of the valve cover and you never realize it's there or what it does.

If you want an opinion...EGR delete...ECU tuning will be required to make the engine run without all the goodies.

Maybe, maybe not on the tuning, I used Vag-Com (communications software for VW's) to check everything out on mine once I had done the EGR delete, no tuning or changing required. It all depends on where the upper and lower limit settings of the MAF are set at. Having said that, you do need to have either Vag-Com or a tuner to do this to at least check it.

damn. i need to pull the manifold on my benz and see how closed that is. i'm sure with 25yrs and 220k mi it's pretty damn nasty

Maybe, maybe not on the tuning, I used Vag-Com (communications software for VW's) to check everything out on mine once I had done the EGR delete, no tuning or changing required. It all depends on where the upper and lower limit settings of the MAF are set at. Having said that, you do need to have either Vag-Com or a tuner to do this to at least check it.

I have Vag-Com! Do you know where the MAF limits need to be set?

Looks like I got to learn a little more about this jetta.

Does anyone know the upper and lower limits of the MAF on a 2000 jetta 5spd?

Took longer than I thought, but here ya go..

EGR Adjustment: At idle and part-load situations, the EGR system recycles some of the exhaust gas into
the intake. This reduces NOx emissions. It’s possible to reduce the amount of EGR so that there is less
exhaust recirculated and more fresh air. More air is good, because your larger nozzles mean more fuel!
(Note: this is a good idea even for stock engines, since less EGR means less soot to gunk up the intake…
do a search for “manifold clogging” on Fred’s for details if you’re not familiar with the problem.)
With your engine idling and warm (very important!) and all accessories off, hook up your VagCom and go
to 01 – Engine. Login using 12233. Go to “Adaptation” and select Block 3. Give the throttle a quick
punch to the floor (if the car idles too long the EGR system turns off… this turns it back on.) The default
adaptation should be 32768, and the screen should indicate an actual flow rate of around 250 mg/R. Enter
33768 as the new value, hit “Test”, and the flow rate should increase. Hit “Save” and you’re done

Legal note: This is an emissions control device, so some of you are saying “heeey… are we supposed to be
messing with this?” Well, the shop manual states that acceptable idle flow rates of up to 370 mg/R are
acceptable. So, if you adjust the flow rate to be no more than 370 mg/R, you’re within factory specs, and
no laws are being broken.

Did a little reading and I think I am going to put it back together with the egr installed minus the ccv going to the intake
My theory is this: For the next two years I will be living in town so lots of short trips and the sooner I get up to temp the better for mileage.

EGR will help engine heat up faster due to exhaust heating coolant.

I am going to go along with runnin a draft tube so the EGR gases don't mix with the oily mist from the CCV.

Any thoughts?

I recommend removing the entire egr system, it really doesn't make a difference in warm up times. But as always, that's just my $.02.

If you want to try keeping the egr cooler for faster warm ups, put a block off plate on the bottom of the egr/anti shudder valve housing and put another plate on the exit of the egr cooler. Basically just eliminate the one accordian tube. That way, you still have the egr cooler to help warm ups, but no nasty crap going into your engine. Doing that, you might as well leave the ccv hooked up as it won't be hurting anything anymore.

I agree, just eliminate the EGR and it will stay cleaner for sure. I've seen some manifolds that were so plugged up you couldn't even pour fuel through them!