Clutch

48snowman48

Plowboy
The truck in question is in my sig, 97 Dodge 2500 4x4. The truck is mainly used for daily driving, but also some towing. Occasionally a truck pull or two and some drag racing. Playing with ricers on the street from time to time. Maybe a slightly boosted launch on occasion.

So, whats the difference between the sbc 3250 vs. the 3600? Both are 6cb and sprung hub.

Will the 3250 hold up to my needs? Or is the 3600 a better bet? Do I have to upgrade the hydraulics or are the stock 97 hydraulics good enough? I want to do it right the first time and allow for a little growth in the power department.

What do you guys think?

John

yes the 3250 will hold up just fine and it will be better for a daily driver the pedal wont be as stiff as the 3600. i run a 3250 in my truck. if that helps at all.

I DD a 3850, it's really no big deal.

I got used to it in about 15 minutes.

I daily drive my Haisley street puller and has over 40 hooks on it and countless miles. It is just about on it's last leg I put over 20 hooks on it last year. It also has a very light plate load so stock hydralics do fine with it and pedal effort almost feels stock.

I DD a 3600 12cb SBC, no problems at all. Smooth and very quiet. Talk with Peter at SBC, let him what your doing with your truck.

I Daily Drive a 3850, and I love it. Everyone once and while it can be a bit grabby, but you learn to drive with it and hardly ever notice it.

Rick

I drove an EEP DD kinda regularly and didn't mind it too much. I figured the SBC would be a little more street friendly. When I talked to Peter, he seemed to be busy, but was very nice and helpful. He suggested a 3250, but I wasn't sure I conveyed all my information correctly to him. I didn't want to take up too much of his time since it seems that he has a lot going on.

I just don't want to under-clutch myself for the future. Robertp- Are you seriously holding almost 700hp with that clutch? Thats awesome.

So how will the 3250 hold up to some pulling? And boosted launches? Also, upgrade the hydraulics with a 3600?

Thanks

Also, when I talked to Peter he asked me to wait about 2 weeks to order a clutch, since he would be dropping the price then. How awesome is that, that a business man would tell a prospective customer that he had never met to wait to purchase from him until his price went down?!?! I have always heard good things about his customer service, but now I am truely a believer.

I don't know I am the kind of guy that is going to buy the biggest one I can afford that way I don't have to worry about it in the future. I bought the 3850 b/c I knew that someday I was going to need it, and I don't want to have to keep ripping out the tranny or trashing a smaller one b/c I was only doing what I needed to get by. If it was me I would surely go up to the 3600 if you are unsure of which way to go, then you konw in the future IF you decide to pull or do anything of the sort you have a clutch that is going to hold. Also I think I would go with the upgrade Hydros as well, do you have the 1 3/8 input?

Rick

I think the same way you do Rick, however, money is tight. I should probably spend my money on college right now, but I just got my truck paid off and I have been wanting a clutch for a very long time now. I want to get the 3600, but it will just about wipe out my account, which seems to have taken forever to grow to what it is now. I am not sure I can afford the price difference of the 3600 AND the cost of new hydraulics.

No on the input shaft. But it is in my plans to upgrade when I do the clutch. No sense in having a $1000-1500 clutch and keeping the stock shaft in there.

Well the SB 3600 sfi is being installed this week so I will be ready for the TS show in may.:ft:

The 3250 non-SFI DD is a fair bit cheaper than the SFI certified clutches, so unless you need to have an SFI clutch, thats the way I would go. I'm running a non-SFI one in my 12v, drives nice, stock pedal pressure. I have the older, lever style pressure plate on my unsprung 3600 DD in my 24v, much stiffer pedal than the 3250, which I like. Just sucks going between trucks since the leg gets weak from driving the soft clutch in the 12v.

I hear the newer 3600 also use a diaphragm pressure plate, which would have a lighter pedal like the 3250.

I'am running the 3600 dd diaphram clutch and love it. Very light pedal, no noise.

Pedal pressure and noise don't bother me too much, I actually kinda like the double disk rattle. Peter suggested the 3250 for racing (quicker shifting), but I wonder how it would hold up to some pulling? I don't know if I stressed that enough to him when we talked the other day.

Pedal pressure and noise don't bother me too much, I actually kinda like the double disk rattle. Peter suggested the 3250 for racing (quicker shifting), but I wonder how it would hold up to some pulling? I don't know if I stressed that enough to him when we talked the other day.

it really depends on how much pulling you plan on doing with it. if once or twice a year then yes a 3250 will be ok. but anymore than that i would go with a 3600.

if you plan on more drag racing than anything then i wouild suggest the 3250 and putting the pulling out of your head, the 3250 will allow for faster shifts at the track.

Found a great deal on a used(3k miles) 3600sfi dd with a lever style plate.Should have it installed in a couple weeks.I like to go overkill myself.I was leaning toward the 3250 sfi clutch only because of the diaphram,didn't like the idea of DD with the lever style being it is not intended for it.Found out from SB that the 3600 diaphram will work on the sfi clutches so I am going to swap the pressure plates.

HAISLEY!!!!!!!!!

I am going that route when funds allow, i will be calling south bend to see if they'd like their junk back. I absolutely hate it.

2000wvdodge, you seem to be the minority. Is yours a dedicated puller? I am thinking probably more pulling than racing, but mostly street driving/playing. I grew up in a pulling community, so I will definitely have more opportunities to pull, but I don't want it to be too slow shifting.

I am gettin ready to order a DD also! I am stuck between goin 3250 and 3600 plate load, and sprung and unsprung? it is a daily driver, that might haul, will drag race, might hook to a sled! don't mind noise or pedal pressure, just want it to hold!

Well I am going to not try and sound like some kind of South Bend :cheer: so I am going to show you experience with my Haisley Clutch that I USED to have. This is a street puller that was rebuilt less than 2 yrs ago. The disk cracked and actually broke. In Haisley's defense, Van told me that he had only seen this 2 other times in all of the times they have been building clutches, and did offer to allow me to purchase a new disk at there cost. But decided to go with a used SB clutch that I bought for the price to fix and rebuild the Haisley's.
Then the difference in price to rebuild the Haisleys compared to the SBC was amazing. When HMR rebuilt my clutch 2 years ago it was 1000 to rebuild and they only replaced one of the disk and machined the floater, Pressure plate, and Flywheel. When I got my SBC rebuilt, as you can see, it is an entire new assembly, and it also cost me $1000. Just some other things to think about.

Clutch disk:
ricks_clutch_003.jpg

ricks_clutch_004.jpg

ricks_clutch_006.jpg

New 3850:
102_2871.jpg

102_2872.jpg