coating on steed speed manifolds

dodge05cr

Granny Shifter
hey guys Im going to be getting a steed speed and just wondering how good the coating holds up on these manifolds. Any peeling, bubbling, rust, ect ect. Or do they hold up really good. Any feedback is appreciated.

Supposed to be Cerakote which is said to be a tough coating. It's used on some rifle barrels but it must not hold up to exhaust gas temperatures very well.

There are different series of cerakote. The bake on rifle coatings are not rated for those temps. The c series works well on suppressors that get very hot. I know they have automotive coatings but I have not messed with them.

I have cerakote on mine, downpipe is perfect condition, however after (1) pressure-washing the manifold rusted. (my fault, im saying)

I had my manifold, not Steed Speed, coated in silver ceramic over 3 years ago

For $90, it still looks brand new and shiny

Got any pics d45? my steed speed is bolted on my engine im building and coating is scratched off in many spots and its never been used. Im gonna ceramic coat all the hot side components and have it blasted and redone.

The Steed coating sucks. Not sure what they use but it looks like nothing more than high temp header paint. It will scratch off with little effort. Get it ceramic coated while it's new.

Tapamaxxing

Glad I saw this. I thought I was the only one that cringed at the thought of a rusty-azz ugly manifold sitting in a clean engine bay between a new polished charger and a new custom head.

What kinds of places have you guys seen that do ceramic coating? It seems to last awhile and I could get the charger coated as well.

Ive seen VHT spray paint hold up better, clearly the stuff takes the heat, but not for a long time.

I agree it kinda sucks to look at. interested in what taylor has to say, im sure Steed would warantee the coating... But something needs to be done to make it better

The coating on mine isn't fairing to well either. You can tell where sweat droplets were from when I put it on after they evaporated, they left rust spots.

My stainless diesel manifold still shines now after 3 years of operation.

Anything relevant to add, or just a dig for a competitors product?

Any powder coating place usually has a hi-temp coating. I had my hot pipe done a number of years back in the 1600 degree coating. Its held up extremely well, but its an ugly green colour. I'm gonna find a different coating for my Steed manifold thats a little more appealing.

Bought mine not coated and it is being sent to Swain to take care of the deed... Don't really care what color it is as long as it is not rust.....

Hell, I sprayed my stocker with high-temp Rustoleum (rated for up to 2000degs.) from a rattle can 3 years ago.

22779_103643619663932_5974577_n.jpg

Here it is just a few months ago.

331617_274279612600331_6877108_o.jpg

I get all my stuff done at HM Elliott in Mooresville NC. They have several options for high temp coatings and recently added Cerakote as a choice. Prices are very reasonable. Between $50-70 on exhaust housing and $100-120 on manifolds.

etepe3u8.jpg

Tapamaxxing