coating on steed speed manifolds

I get all my stuff done at HM Elliott in Mooresville NC. They have several options for high temp coatings and recently added Cerakote as a choice. Prices are very reasonable. Between $50-70 on exhaust housing and $100-120 on manifolds.

etepe3u8.jpg

Tapamaxxing

Dam those parts look good. Seems that would be a good option for the Steed. Seen a few guys post pics of the Cerakote lately. Any long term history on holding up?

thanks guys for the help, well im definetly going to coat my steed speed then. :)

The coating holds up well. Main way to make it last is to get coating done before there is any rust(new) and a smooth surface get better results. Had both the cast exhaust housings polished this time before coating. I never knew cast iron could shine so good!

:cool:
eqy4ugab.jpg

Tapamaxxing

I'm assuming that coating is like chrome, wipe clean?

I removed the first manifold I had done after a year on the truck. It was dulled out some. Wiped it clean and used some polish and it brought the shine back. Only places that had any problems was in the valleys that were able to hold water. Had faint specks of rust. I wash under the hood frequently and not sure if it was rust coming through or rust from the high iron well water I have. That manifold was used and rusted when I bought it. All the new parts I have done have had zero issues.

Bob at Coating Specialties in Chicago Heights, Illinois

I have taken dozens and dozens of parts there over the years, all turned out great and have held up awesome

349.jpg

353.jpg

349.jpg

350.jpg

Elbow:

005-19.jpg

004-21.jpg

I like that coating , whats the brand name? Got any recent pics of it on the truck?
Id like to see how its holding up.

It is just a high temp, ceramic coating the shop offers

It was $90 for the manifold and $40 f or the elbow

I can try to find some pics, but it looks brand new as the day I installed it......no rust coming through, no flaking, etc

You can't spray cerakote over rust, the part has to be blasted and completely degreased or it will never adhere. $.02

Bought mine not coated and it is being sent to Swain to take care of the deed... Don't really care what color it is as long as it is not rust.....

I had mine coated at Swain, it will be white.
I sprayed over it with a silver high heat paint.

Mine started flaking off after the first test drive on new setup. Took it to the track and lost a turbo. F.I. said the turbine wheel got trashed and I noticed the coating was coming off on the inside of the manifold as well.

I had mine coated at Swain, it will be white.
I sprayed over it with a silver high heat paint.

Yeap, I thought about doing that. I may just have a turbo blanket and manifold blanket made for my setup.

Swain did a set of their gold coating on the top of my pistons and it all flaked off within a year $.02

Steed has now changed coaters and will be offering the silver ceramic option as well, this coating is much more durable and should last.

Mine started flaking off after the first test drive on new setup. Took it to the track and lost a turbo. F.I. said the turbine wheel got trashed and I noticed the coating was coming off on the inside of the manifold as well.

So it wasn't "that pos turbo's" fault after all....

Sooo...they know there's a problem?

I'm willing to bet they used a cheaper coating to keep the end cost down for the consumer. I'm sure there will be a price hike using a more durable coating but it will probably be cheaper than having to get it done yourself.

Tapamaxxing