Common Rail head

Hamilton Cams

ignorant
Thanks to the success of the 12v head, we are ready to start on the CR head. I look forward to to your suggestions....well, from some of you.

Here is what we have so far,

-Made in the USA.
-Would you like to pay $4,100 for a union shop or $2,900 for a Non-union shop? Like I have always said, the price you are willing to pay dictates where I have things made, not me.
-Aluminum
-3 or 4 valve
-no connector tube, this dictates top feed 24v or CR injectors

just curious, why aluminum?

Better heat dissipation, cheaper tooling costs. However with the length of a head the aluminum will like to grow with some heat.

Be interesting to see how it fairs!

Iron block and aluminum head are not going to expand the same. I see problems.

just curious, why aluminum?

Mainly because I wanted to produce the head in the USA. All of the cast iron shops I have looked at in the states are Union and out of my price range. One, non-union aluminum foundry is serious about cranking up domestic production, so I thought it would be nice to try to partner with them.

I'm not really asking each of you to tell me why it will not work. I want to produce the head in the USA, and Aluminium is my only option unless you all decide that you want a Union shop to produce it, in which case I will delay the head production until I can raise capital. No doubt there are some engineering challenges, but many people are using aluminum heads with cast blocks with great results.

Not up for discussion: why this will not work.
Up for discussion: what features you would like to see in an Aluminum cylinder head.

Last edited:
Aluminum, non union, 4 valve, with connector tubes.

Just a lighter version with more meat to port of what cummins already has, would be fine for me.

Unless you can find a way to get 2 injectors per cylinder in it, in that case I want that one. Whether it is 3 valve or top feed or ect... Just as long as it is non union, union head price makes it not worthwhile.

Last edited:

Just a lighter version with more meat to port of what cummins already has, would be find for me.

This. There's likely a lot more people that run traditional style injectors than the top feed.

Just a lighter version with more meat to port of what cummins already has, would be find for me.

This.

How would you top-feed the injectors, and what would be the benefit of 3 valves?

Personally, as close to bolt-on as possible with minimal custom stuff needed, the more it appeals to me.

This.

How would you top-feed the injectors, and what would be the benefit of 3 valves?

Personally, as close to bolt-on as possible with minimal custom stuff needed, the more it appeals to me.

You would need an injector designed for top feed lines like monster Mikes 24v injectors

from phone

Like I said before is dual overhead cam too much to ask for......?

Push the valves together to stuff some larger ones. Not sure if there would be enough meat to keep support combustion pressure though.

Loosing the crossover tubes is going to be tough on the common rail guys.

IMO taller, longer valves straighter ports, more angle to the crossover tubes to gain some port space. Go big or go home.

Last edited:
I like the top feed injector idea. Then you don't have to deal with the connecting tubes and fuels lines where an individual runner intake would be. (I'm in 24v mind set)

from phone

Does anyone make a top feed CR injector? I'm thinking Dmax are top feed but what's it gonna take to run them in a 5.9? Spray angle, injector tip depth, and electronics.

There are some attractive options for injectors that would take some pretty creative work to make fit, but the fuel flow limitation would be pretty much negated.

I'm not a cr guy but I think it would be awesome if you could purchase the cnc equipment to build in house out of solid stock. Could possibly use the equipment for other adventures than just this head. Cut out the middle man build them to order.

alum, 4 valve, stock injector, no intake , more meat to port, std .500 od guides