Common Rail head

Subscribing. Ive been waiting for this since the 12v head came out.

Posted while playing HALO 4

If the head is built for injector cross tubes, the top feed guys can plug the holes. I see it a waste to build the head without. Being a common rail guy, I wouldn't buy a head that required me to buy $5-6,000 (or more) of new injection parts just to run the head. Cross tubes are not much of a limiting factor for a common rail. If this aluminum head could be a direct swap out for a factory head, I'll buy at least one. But if not then I won't blow a penny on anything but porting on a cast head. If I buy one and then have problems with it or don't like it, I would want to go back to a cast head without trying to get rid of the whole expensive special injection system that I just dumped a pile of money into.$.02

Well that's it, crank out stock clone's that you can match with a ported stock head makes no sense.

Double edged sword I suppose. I Just wouldn't bother if it was that close to stock and a ported stocker could net similar flow.

A straight port head with some pretty intense valve train modification would net some serious flow and facilitate runner manifold ports at a pretty serious cost to swirl.

Again limiting the market however.

I would buy it just for the repairability and weight savings, even if it really ended up about the same as far as ported flow.

Aftermarket CR/24v head sounds awesome!!
Cast in aluminum I don't know. I'll leave that one to your engineer to figure out on the expansion/contraction sealing to a iron block.
Id leave the plenum on the head for those who would like to have a bolt on head with more flow.
But leave the ports to where you can machine the plenum off and have a flat sealing surface for a runner intake if anyone decides to go that route.
Maybe if the room is available to seperate the shared ports.

If your doing different valve configurations and different injector placement or type of injector needed, I think you'll miss out on the majority of the sales of the market.

To break it down if a top feed injector is required and a 3 valve head and no plenum is cast into the head that means the above average guy that has a stock head that is cracked all to hell and needing replaced has 2 options.
1. Another OEM head and port it some. Maybe a better intake.
2. This new awesome head that he has to change the valvetrain to what your head requires, buy top feed CR injectors, that needs new CR lines from the fuel rail to be made and a bolt on intake or runner intake to purchase.

make a option 3. That's a bolt on better flowing with the option to machine the intake tray off.

The 20 maybe 30 heads that would go to top pullers/racers that would put $10-12k
Into : head, valvetrain, injectors, rework fuel system components and porting is not for the other 100-200 guys just needing a better than stock head to replace their cracked up old junk.

I maybe way off base here but just trying to throw out some ideas. I'm sure you'll make a great cylinder head whatever way is chosen.

Keep us updated Zach and good luck with the new endeavor.

Aftermarket CR/24v head sounds awesome!!
Cast in aluminum I don't know. I'll leave that one to your engineer to figure out on the expansion/contraction sealing to a iron block.
Id leave the plenum on the head for those who would like to have a bolt on head with more flow.
But leave the ports to where you can machine the plenum off and have a flat sealing surface for a runner intake if anyone decides to go that route.
Maybe if the room is available to seperate the shared ports.

If your doing different valve configurations and different injector placement or type of injector needed, I think you'll miss out on the majority of the sales of the market.

To break it down if a top feed injector is required and a 3 valve head and no plenum is cast into the head that means the above average guy that has a stock head that is cracked all to hell and needing replaced has 2 options.
1. Another OEM head and port it some. Maybe a better intake.
2. This new awesome head that he has to change the valvetrain to what your head requires, buy top feed CR injectors, that needs new CR lines from the fuel rail to be made and a bolt on intake or runner intake to purchase.

make a option 3. That's a bolt on better flowing with the option to machine the intake tray off.

The 20 maybe 30 heads that would go to top pullers/racers that would put $10-12k
Into : head, valvetrain, injectors, rework fuel system components and porting is not for the other 100-200 guys just needing a better than stock head to replace their cracked up old junk.

I maybe way off base here but just trying to throw out some ideas. I'm sure you'll make a great cylinder head whatever way is chosen.

Keep us updated Zach and good luck with the new endeavor.

Of course most of the pulling world would be out as they require OEM head.

Probably why aluminum is the obvious choice, it could be a huge advantage to the drag racers.

Thank you all for the input. That is what I am looking for, your ideas. We are weighing all options at this point.

Of course most of the pulling world would be out as they require OEM head.

Probably why aluminum is the obvious choice, it could be a huge advantage to the drag racers.

Dan, maybe he'll do a rough faux cast iron finish painted black for you.
Shhhh secret squirrel chit option.

But I'll take mine fully polished. I like to look pretty while I go slow and break stuff.

What if you did a stock looking intake that could be taken off. Then make a runner with the same bolt pattern, then everybody could do what they wanted. Why couldn't you make a different style Injector tube with interchangeable ends, sounds crazy I know, then you would only buy tips which would be cheaper for us. Thoughts like that come from me being bored at work lol.

Thats what i was thinking on the intake. Have it to where you take it off and port what you want and put it back on. Then it is up to the customer to put what style of intake he wants on it.

As far as the hole injector crossover tube thing, I say leave it alone. The injector or crosstube is not the problem. It is airflow. Granted there would be room for gain if you changed where the crosstube is, but i think you would sell more if you keep it as close to a direct bolt on as possible.

I would say that some of the guys on here have not seen a 4v head with the intake milled off. Nor have they ported one. Your gain in porting the intake side is marginal at best. But there is an improvement in airflow by doing that. But the big gain is in removing the shelf for better air flow.

Does anyone make a top feed CR injector? I'm thinking Dmax are top feed but what's it gonna take to run them in a 5.9? Spray angle, injector tip depth, and electronics.

already being done! 2013 will be intresting in cotpc for sure!!:cheer: