CR head on a 24V???

The biggest flow improvement I see is in the intake itself. My question is, if you are planning on building a custom intake why switch to the CR head? Is it not possible to achieve similar flow with a custom intake manifold and some port work to the 24v head?

Good question!!!

The biggest flow improvement I see is in the intake itself. My question is, if you are planning on building a custom intake why switch to the CR head? Is it not possible to achieve similar flow with a custom intake manifold and some port work to the 24v head?

I plan on goin to a 06 CR head new intake valley and full P&P on intake and exhaust side.

I plan on goin to a 06 CR head new intake valley and full P&P on intake and exhaust side.

I think what Lee is getting at is if you are going to hack the intake off anyway, it would be easier just to stick with a VP head. Plus you don't have to worry about dropping valve seats. $.02

Are alot of cr having problems dropping valve seats? I was just considering the cr head to get more flow to possibly get the turbo to lite quicker on the street.

Are alot of cr having problems dropping valve seats? I was just considering the cr head to get more flow to possibly get the turbo to lite quicker on the street.

You are only really gaining flow in the stock intake valley on the CR head versus the stock VP head. If you are going to port the head, it shouldn't make much difference if you start with a VP or CR head - just the issue with valve seats. I have read about more than a few seats dropping on here. If you are going to dump a lot of money into a head, I would try to get one without seats.

Thanks for the info pulling the head will be the later this winter so i have awhile to get that figured out.

Alright so I was planning on putting a common rail head on my vp. Now I'm thinking thats not what I should do now that I'm reading this thread. The plan would be to mill off stock intake and put a aftermarket one on or build one. So I'm guessing now if I just mill off stock intake on the head I have and put some other intake on that will work. This would really be nice to know.

If it is a CR head where did you relocate your MAP and IAT sensors? The CR heads don't have the ports on the head for the sensors.

I just want to make sure it is a CR head before you spend money on parts in case it something easier.

Brett
We drilled & tapped the intake manifold for the 2 sensors.

Thats interesting, never thought of that. What do most guys do with their MAP and IAT when they swap them onto a VP 24v?
Relocate them.

It is a better head all around other than valve seats, but take a look at the 1 and 6 ports they flow alot better.You can not port a 24v to flow like 1 and 6 in a cr head

It is a better head all around other than valve seats, but take a look at the 1 and 6 ports they flow alot better.You can not port a 24v to flow like 1 and 6 in a cr head

thats what i thought is there a way to fix the potential problem with the seats in a cr head

in stock form the cr head is cast a hell of a lot better for flow on the intake side. if you're gonna chop the intake just find a good vp head with no cracks. I only bought a "new" CR head because I wanted one with no cracks and they were about $800 cheaper than a "reman" VP head. You can open the intake side up just as much as a CR head.

I would agree the casting on the CR is alot better.

2001 Head

head027.jpg

2005 CR head

head026.jpg

Here are all three connector tubes VP,CR,VP/CR

P1000894.jpg

The tubes I got were 0.093" and they didn't really go good with the injectors I got, the smoke was uncontrollable even with no chip. Seeing as I couldn't find any custom tubes smaller I decided to convert the stock CR tubes to fit. All you have to do is shorten them and then put a taper back on it. Has worked good so far.

P1010045.jpg

P1010046.jpg

P1010048.jpg

Thanks for the info, I hope the custome tubes dont cause a smoke problim for me, Ill find out soon enuff. But thanks again for all the info guys.

If the intake is milled off to go custom or ZZ style you can port the VP head to flow more than a stock CR head. The thing that I see making the CR head have better flow is the stock cast intake valley.

I would agree the casting on the CR is alot better.

2001 Head

head027.jpg

2005 CR head

head026.jpg

Here are all three connector tubes VP,CR,VP/CR

P1000894.jpg

The tubes I got were 0.093" and they didn't really go good with the injectors I got, the smoke was uncontrollable even with no chip. Seeing as I couldn't find any custom tubes smaller I decided to convert the stock CR tubes to fit. All you have to do is shorten them and then put a taper back on it. Has worked good so far.

P1010045.jpg

P1010046.jpg

P1010048.jpg
What injectors were you running that the smoke was not controllable?

My Mach 4.5's, I tried getting an answer from Don M to see what effect the larger tubes had but I never did get a response. So I just went to the smaller CR tubes it still smokes a fair bit but better then with the larger tubes. It would just smoke more before the turbo lit, it wasn't uncontrollable but it was alot harder to drive around town with out leaving a smoke trail. Your turbo should lite faster then mine and you got a cam so you probably wont notice much difference.