Crank lightening

Been looking forward to seeing this thing run for a while now, glad its running for now.

Timo, if I can get my truck back together I will come to see how your engine running in your car :poke:. I hope it is somewhere in the late summer. Nice work.
Greetings from neighboring countries :Cheer:.
Raivo

We nitride a lot of parts at work, but it makes it HARD. They are non-rotating parts that see surface to surface contact. I would imagine on something that is rotating and bending that it could cause a surface crack.

Just curious if you took before and after hardness measurements on it?

Tobin

Didn't took a hardness measurement of it. Cummins cranks got a hardening treatment done by factory, maybe induction hardening. On stock cranks the surface is a lot harder than inside of the crank, find this out when I was drilling the journals out.

Timo

Timo, if I can get my truck back together I will come to see how your engine running in your car :poke:. I hope it is somewhere in the late summer. Nice work.
Greetings from neighboring countries :Cheer:.
Raivo

Sure thing, you are more than welcome to visit me anytime, just drop me a note few days before. BTW we will have a get-together for Pick up's etc. on 13-15 of July in Sieravuori. See link
Overdrive.fi viesti - US Truck Meeting 2012(Kalajoki meetingin seuraaja)

Timo

awesome thread, great job completing the crank, and the engine looks great as well.

once agian, the Irony of your sig impresses me

you sir, impress me more

and yes i learn everything on cumminsforum, even how i built my 10sec daily driver !

Whats left to do is check the head torq. valve lash, bolt the return line back on and pour in coolant. That should be it.

Timo

Attachments

• 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 0
you sir, impress me more

and yes i learn everything on cumminsforum, even how i built my 10sec daily driver !

:bang Yes people have made 1400hp on a stock crank. What is your point?

If you can not see the potential benefits of reducing the rotating mass weight by 40lbs and keeping the balance and strength of the crank intact then I highly doubt YOU built a 10 second daily driver. Perhaps paid some one too.

take 40 lbs and curl it as fast as you can then take 20 lbs and curl it. Your going to expend less energy and reach higher repetition speeds with less weight. What do you think that would equate to in a 1000 hp motor with a stock crank? Less wasted energy, quicker rpm response. All of that would add up to more power quicker.......

man people lighten flywheels all the time to bring up rpms faster. you really don't make any more peak hp. but you get to your peak power alot faster. I don't think this would be good for a sled puller, but a drag racer would be helped by this. He pulled 40 lbs out of the crank. thats great. I bet alot of people are watching. This could be the .2 seconds that win him the race. Again I say great job & I like you exhaust manifold did you build it too?

Last edited:
Yes, Timo made the exh. manifold himself.

And that aircleaner is not a bad one... many people use that due to it's significant size and good flow characteristics. But since Timo is in the 400+ hp band then maybe when he step's up to higher output band he need to change the cleaner.

Last edited:
i had my little truck on the dyno one day with a bhaf. it was pretty dirty, first run it put down 513 rwhp about the same 2nd run. i pulled the air cleaner off and guess what, 512 rwhp. i still run those filters.

Had my truck not came with an afe intake i would be running a bhaf.

Posted via tapatalk if you know what i mean

Yes, Timo made the exh. manifold himself.

And that aircleaner is not a bad one... many people use that due to it's significant size and good flow characteristics. But since Timo is in the 400+ hp band then maybe when he step's up to higher output band he need to change the cleaner.

Its junk, restrictive, and damaging to turbo flow. Another misconception in the diesel world. I dont even put them on stock trucks.

Last edited: