Crank lightening

Graphs! Graphs! Graphs!

Posted via tapatalk if you know what i mean

Too bad I didn't clock it with stock crank, but got plenty of friends with Cummins engines with different levels of setup. Could time them and compere against mine. Also I didn't measure hp/torque numbers while on the test bench due to lack of proper flywheel for connection, however when it's was in the truck it shoved on a dyno 485hp/1465NM from rear wheels. The dyno used, was a inertia model and when taking a look of the numbers they do look "reasonable". At this point I more interested how the crank will survive than hp numbers. Got a 3k springs on it now and 4k are waiting on a shelf, I may drop them in after awhile. Right now I just want to get it back on the road to get more hours for it and start to build another engine, where the crank will be moved if it survives all the DD driving. Before I could jump in to the next engine build I need finish a twin set up for a friend, that engine I will dyno back at work.

Timo

Good job, glad to see this running. Certainly has been well discussed topic, I'm sure you are as curious about the final outcome as all of us are.

I know this is very subjective, and you won't be able to answer it until it is back in the vehicle, but I am curious to your impressions on if it "feels" different to drive.

Very nice.

Curious why the nitride? Doesn't seem like it would be necessary, seems like it would make it too hard/brittle and crack.

Tobin

Congrats Timo,

somebody has to be the first one. Usually the first one dears to go further than others.

If someone says "pointless" for this then that only tells me how little that someone understands about engines and tech stuff in general. I'd suggest sticking with plastic toys that have no moving parts...

If you don't mind me asking whats your total investment into this so far? How much more would you have to spend to make it a marketable product.

Timo,

how much total weight did you manage to remove from the complete assembly?

Timo,

how much total weight did you manage to remove from the complete assembly?

youtube video title shows 20kg removed from the crank. (about 44 lbs)

Just read all 12 pages... Awesome build! Only took over a year lol

Vito

I believe this has been going on well over a year, I remember reading about it way back when on TDR...

Here's a link to some of his updates on his website from Feb. 08 when he started working on the crankshaft...

http://www.devilscastle.net/cummins2008-2010.htm

Congrats to you Timo, for proving all those people wrong that said this thing won't idle on its own without breaking the crank. Looks to me like the dyno showed respectable numbers as well. :Cheer:

I have lamented many times that I found this thread so long ago... Sweet release! Congrats! :clap:

Got 20kg off the crank but there's still material left what can be removed, also it can be gun drilled as well, to get more off. It sure took a long time to finish, couple of years. On the time when I started it, most of my time went at work and had basically no free time. With proper machinery this whole thing can be done within a evenings of a few weeks or faster, depends a lot how much you have time to spend it after work, and your access for a machinery. The money invested for it was not a much, naturally your own elbow grease will bring the costs down. If you take a closer look of Cummins engine, there's quite a few places where to mill some off.

Timo

Last edited:
You need to put a prototype in a high powered application, for a year or so.

Simply because it makes the crank more stronger and recudes stress risers. Google around the subject, there's plenty of it.

Timo

We nitride a lot of parts at work, but it makes it HARD. They are non-rotating parts that see surface to surface contact. I would imagine on something that is rotating and bending that it could cause a surface crack.

Just curious if you took before and after hardness measurements on it?

Tobin

Simply because it makes the crank more stronger and recudes stress risers. Google around the subject, there's plenty of it.

Timo
Had I been in your shoes, I would have nitrided it too. I think the benefits of reducing stress risers over-weighs the brittleness.

So is your account here judging by the posts ive seen from you. I cant wait to see the results

i was just wondering how much money people were wasting on this when people are making 1400plus on stock bottom ends..

awesome thread, great job completing the crank, and the engine looks great as well.

1400plus on stock bottom ends..

once agian, the Irony of your sig impresses me