Crank lightening

Nope,other than just got a phone call, and a new set of piston rings should be here at the end of next week with a punch of other stuff. Can't do much before that.

Timo

Some progress on the build up. Bottom end bolted back together. Too, bad I don't absolutely have more time for it this week, too busy till Tue.
Would like to bench the injection pump before bolting it on, hopefully guys at work aren't too busy with a real jobs, to give it a quick check.

Timo

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 0
just read this whole thread, and i guess ive been in the dark. This looks very interesting. subscribed

Got some done tonight, timing gear housing, pickup/oil pan back on the places and washed some parts.

Timo

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 0
No girdle, since it wont be helping anything in this case. The rpm's are set for 4k only and if the crank is facing bad enough twisting motions, to crack, it will with or without the girdle.
Some progress on the build up. Got the head gasket with rings on it and lifted the head on place. I was about to torque it down and found I forgot a pushrods back home.

Timo

Attachments

• 32.31.jpg
    32.31.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 16.40.jpg
    16.40.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 0
Things pretty much done what can be done before getting a fluid damper and injection pump. Just gotto sit back and wait.

Timo

Attachments

• engine1.jpg
    engine1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0
Nope, Just want to get it up and running. Since the way it's now is just a sort of a test build up, just to see how it runs with the light crank. If all good, bolt it back to burban and use it as a DD and start to build another engine with some mods.

Timo

If the crank self-balances, theres a rotating force (as well as torsion) as a result of each of the two opposing forces cancelling but not doing so in the same plane lengthwise on the crank..
Im assuming weight was added to counter those forces.
Even applying a large damper on the crank wont help with those three loads.
Im not sure of how much force is involved, youd have to do the math and see. Maybe its small enough that it can rev to 4k and last for a few races?
Ive played with crank weight on motorcycles and lowering the weight results in quick revs but not so much low-end torque. If your strategy is to move power into the high revs and make it a HP motor more so than TQ, not sure how well it will hold together.

IN diesel the rotaing mass is very important.

Approx 10 years ago I did 1,8 TDI engine swap to 4wd Mitus Galant. Because 4wd gearbox is bit different I used the 2.0 gas engine flywheel (it was bolt on).

Even with fuel system mods, ther was lack of low end torque , but it was very hi prm friendly setup.
Difference was only 4 kg, 12kg diesel flywheel and 8kg gas engine

After I figured out the lack of torque, I modified the diesel flywheel to fit and it was more easyer to drive

Short update. Got the Fluid damper on it, the pump went to bench test on Friday, all ok. If everything goes as planned the test run will be on upcoming Friday.

Timo

Just read the whole thread, cant wait to see how it turns out.

Posted via tapatalk if you know what i mean