Crank lightening

Ready for next round. Two front journals lightened. Unfortunately can't do the balancing shop run on upcoming Sat. got other things to do.

Timo

Attachments

• 858.JPG
    858.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 0
:pop: I just have to see the ending.:badidea:

Dale

Last edited:
The camp "it will balance" won the battle. Today I went down to the shop and spend there more than a few hours and got it done within 2grams.

Timo

Attachments

• 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 0
Good!

The last 2 shafts I hand-relieved got off the wiggle socket within minutes.

<EDIT>

Please excuse the premature expostulation.

To rephrase:

Last two 5.9 cranks I relieved weight from by hand got on the machine needing 4 & 11gms, minutes later got off the wiggle socket within 5gm balance.

Last edited:
The camp "it will balance" won the battle. Today I went down to the shop and spend there more than a few hours and got it done within 2grams.

Timo

I'm glad to hear it balanced out for you. Now, I also hope it's still strong and will hold up for you under abuse, good job for sticking with it. Great to see people thinking outside the box and doing rather than talking; If it fails later..... it fails but he learned from it, and because he shared his info so will others, thats good sportsmanship in my opinion.

i really hope when he fires it up the first time that he videos the whole experience. win lose or draw it'd be nice to see the video.

I'm assuming you're going to use light pistons, lighten the flywheel, and all the other associated reciprocating mass before you put it all together?

I have been following but i guess must have i missed it, how much total weight did you loose? looks like a lot!

Timo

Great work Timo!:woohoo: Throw it in I want video for the naysayers!

Going to get it nitrided tomorrow morning at a local shop, will see how it turns out. Haven't weighted it lately but could do it tomorrow before taking it to the process.

Timo

Got it back today from nitriding. The process gave it a nice matte gray color, haven't yet checked has it bent during the treatment, but will try to get it tomorrow. Weighted it also and it's now 20kg lighter than a stock one.

Timo

Attachments

• 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 0
whats that like 44 lbs lighter? Damn!

What was the actual starting weight?

Last edited:
The crank in my Perkins looks just like your lighten crank.will try to post some pick later.

Dale

Now all you have to do is: test it, mass produce it, make money on it, and then retire.