Crank lightening

if you use a custom seriously lightweight piston/pin & lighter rod, your lack of counter weight may be ok. i think a big dampner will help a lot. im going to say its guna work...and rev hard....SUBSCRIBED to this. i would like to also know with all this info, how much $ was spent from start to finish. big thumbs up for growing a pair unlike 95% of members on here. good luck man!

Yeah, dale it only makes sense to put a big dampner on. Especially if youve got it lightened that much to absorb the fireing impulses.

Not very good pictures of my Perkins crank.
138.jpg

141.jpg

139.jpg

Dale

I seen a Dmax crank that was getting the going over at Socal Diesel and they were going totally the opposite.

They were drilling the fly weights and adding heavy metal and working towards internally balancing.

Sounded like the Dmax crank likes to break at the #2 and the theory being the heavy damner doing the work instead of the fly weights. (Don't know if it worked for them but the theory seemed sound).....

Removing all the weight from where it belongs only to have to throw a mother of a damper on the front seems counter productive.

I seen a Dmax crank that was getting the going over at Socal Diesel and they were going totally the opposite.

They were drilling the fly weights and adding heavy metal and working towards internally balancing.

Sounded like the Dmax crank likes to break at the #2 and the theory being the heavy damner doing the work instead of the fly weights. (Don't know if it worked for them but the theory seemed sound).....

Removing all the weight from where it belongs only to have to throw a mother of a damper on the front seems counter productive.

I dont know what to think apout the original posters ideas, but anyways a duramax (v-8) needs to be ballanced totally different then an inline engine.

Been awhile since last update. Today stayed at work after office hours and drop the crank on a V-blocks since I knew it's bent a bit, actually 0.20mm. After few hours of dialing and chiseling got in 0.03mm. Maybe I leave it that way, going to ask our crank guy opinion tomorrow. This was my first attempt
to straighten a crankshaft and it went really well, beginner luck I think.

Timo

Polished the bearing surfaces tonight after work, also shot peened a matched set of rods. Now they need upper pushings to get ready for assembly. Gotto start to drag engine parts from garage to work, wash them and start to bolt it back together for a test run, it will run in a few months.

Timo

Attachments

• 59.JPG
    59.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 0
if you use a custom seriously lightweight piston/pin & lighter rod, your lack of counter weight may be ok. i think a big dampner will help a lot. im going to say its guna work...and rev hard....SUBSCRIBED to this. i would like to also know with all this info, how much $ was spent from start to finish. big thumbs up for growing a pair unlike 95% of members on here. good luck man!

Depending how much weight was taken off, and how big the damper is, putting a large damper on there will be counter productive to the whole point of the process. Especially if you go to a large diameter damper. This is all dependent on how much was taken off and how big of diameter the damper is, and weight of the damper obviously.

If you look at the equations, you can see the effect that increasing the diameter would have.

I would think you will find certain frequencies that the engine will like to run, and would set the idle near those frequencies.

Im no good with things like the frequencies and stuff yet still new to performance diesels but it shure looks nice.

Put a new gear on the crank and torqued main caps on specs, turns freely, all good so far. Need to push to a new bushings for the rods before I can bolt any bigger things on. The block got milled 0.1mm to get a fresh surface, so most likely I need to shave the pistons a bit, well more of that ones on that point.

Timo

Attachments

• 75.jpg
    75.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 76.jpg
    76.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
very curious to see where this thread ends up. i got a 4b crank and 2 6b cranks getting lightened and balanced close to this. i think many people will be surprised.

I'm not sure if any of you know Renopker, he's on CF anyways, if these two got together you'd have the ability to hand make and R&R a complete drivetrain I think. Machine work here is nothing short of amazing. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Next update wont be till next week,since Im off for a week to have fun with snowboarding. Timo

All good after spending a week having fun. Well, I got some work done today, pistons milled down a bit, push them all back ones more just to double check, all in specs. What I'm waiting for is the new set of piston rings, after getting them, rest is basically bolting it all back together again.

Timo

Attachments

• 37.50.jpg
    37.50.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 0