Cruise control

Kronic

Hey guys, looking for some advice. My cruise on my 02 stopped working last spring, been to busy to worry about but seeing how the truck has 385xxxKM on it it would be the switches on the steering wheel. Well swapped them out this morning and still nothing. Fuses seem to all be good, and the fun part is if I press the "ON" and "COAST" buttons at the same time the horn honks so there could be a wiring issue further in the column or somewhere else. Any ideas?

Kronic

Side note, regular horn works, lights in switches work, Air bag light is OFF, ABS light is ON but has been since I bought the truck and didn't seem to affect cruise before at all.

Kronic

There was a recall on them but not sure what the solution was.

1. Enter Self-Test Diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key
ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the
instrument panel will flash once to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. FIVE
ADDITIONAL FLASHES AT THIS POINT INDICATE A DEFECTIVE SPEED CONTROL SERVO.
Release the OFF switch.
2. Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL.
IF THE "ON" SWITCH IS NOT DEPRESSED WITHIN FIVE SECONDS AFTER ENTERING THE
DIAGNOSTICS MODE, THE MODULE TIMES OUT AND THE PROCEDURE MUST BE STARTED
OVER.
The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the
sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.
3. A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the STATIC test passed. If the lamp does
not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective.
If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for
trouble codes:
— 2 Flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped).
— 3 Flashes - Deactivator switch is open or circuit defective.
— 4 Flashes - Vehicle speed signal is out of range or circuit is defective.
4. Immediately after the STATIC test, the speed control servo does a DYNAMIC test by automatically
actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position.
During the DYNAMIC throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the
speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the
THROTTLE RETURNS BACK TO IDLE POSITION.

Check the brake light switch.
The horn issue with the 2 buttons pushed could be a bad clock spring ,or.... You accidentally pushed the horn at the same time.

Last edited: