Cummins in a 1980 Chevy 4x4 ???

Street sleeper

Part-Time Puller!!
My buddy is gearing up to swap a 12v cummins into his 1980 chevy 1ton 4x4 dually. He wants to try and use a NV4500 5 speed transmission. We are wondering what the transfer-case options would be for the the passenger side drive front axle that would bolt up to the NV4500? What adapters needed and where to find them? Thanks

You can find A LOT of info on swapping a CTD in on 4BTswaps.com you can also;Ind some on coloradoK5.com but they have a membership fee, but the wealth of old Chevy knowledge is worth the $25

just find a donor truck or switch your front axle to a driver side pinion and use the newer gm t case like i have in my 94 thats one of the easier models to do a swap in lol its all simple mechanical stuff. just fabricate you some motor mounts and a tranny mount and get some drive shafts and have fun.

just find a donor truck or switch your front axle to a driver side pinion and use the newer gm t case like i have in my 94 thats one of the easier models to do a swap in lol its all simple mechanical stuff. just fabricate you some motor mounts and a tranny mount and get some drive shafts and have fun.

Swaping front axle is not an option. I was told that maybe the spline count on some NP205 will match a NV4500. Is this true?

you can look back in diesel power mag they done a story on this another guy up north did this

Swaping front axle is not an option. I was told that maybe the spline count on some NP205 will match a NV4500. Is this true?

its always an option. you can either find a passanger side drop t case or swap an axle. i would swap an axle before trying to hunt down a pass side t case its easier and quicker resolution to the problem.

the spline count might match but then you gotta adapt it to a dodge tail shaft housing. if your lucky maybe the gm version of the nv4500 might have a tail shaft that is the same but then again you still got the issue of bolting it up to the tail shaft housing.

thats why i suggest an axle swap its easy to find a dodge or ford dana 60 and put up front than hoping and searching for a pass side t case to bolt right up.

call advance adapters and order an adapter they make them to mount the 205 to the nv4500.

i just looked and they show the selection to adapt that but they dont offer anything. might be available over the phone, but it's not listed on their website. from the looks of their other items it might be a bit expensive. not bashing them i know they make good quality items but it sounds like the OP is looking for a cheap way to make something work.

He wanted to keep this chevy looking factory original on the outside. The front dana 60 has already been completely gone through. I need to find a 205 from behind a Getrag 5 speed to match the spline of the NV4500 (29 spline). Or replace the shaft on the NV4500 to a 32 spline Chevy 205 from behind a turbo 400 and buy the race track 8 adapter.

I made my own tailhousing adapter, and used a shaft adapter from advance adapters. Oh and I used a ford np205 input on the t-case.

He wanted to keep this chevy looking factory original on the outside. The front dana 60 has already been completely gone through. I need to find a 205 from behind a Getrag 5 speed to match the spline of the NV4500 (29 spline). Or replace the shaft on the NV4500 to a 32 spline Chevy 205 from behind a turbo 400 and buy the race track 8 adapter.

still sounds like a lot of coin just to get a t case to work. if you got the coin to drop then drop it. like i said i only suggest the axle because it is a lot easier to do than tearing trans and tcase apart to change out shafts and things. i doubt a whole lot of ppl will notice right off the bat that it has a different dana 60 under it once they hear it run

The best option in my openion is to run a 96+ GM nv4500 with a Cummins bellhousing and input and run a 85+ GM 32spline 205 behind that. Second best option is to run a Dodge 205 from behind a Getrag. We did the first when we did ours,then we never finished it. Then we were going to run the
nv4500 behing a D-Max and now we're going with D-Max/ZF6 in a 67 K20 :D
Way too many ideas I guess.
Getting a different axle means getting a 77-79 Ford D60 and they are expensive and hard to find. 94+ Dodge D60's are crap and 85+ Ford D60's won't fit. We have a 79 Ford D60 but it'll cost ya $1400 so overall I'd suggest sticking with swapping trans or t-case.

Last edited:
dont know where your buying axles from but i havent seen them that high unless the market sky rocketed since i last looked. i have seen the big rockwells for that kind of price but not a reg dana 60.

if he has to go get a transmission like suggested and the transfer case he still would be looking at about the same price. the OP can do what he likes either way its gonna cost some coin to do so.

Getting a different axle means getting a 77-79 Ford D60 and they are expensive and hard to find. 94+ Dodge D60's are crap and 85+ Ford D60's won't fit. We have a 79 Ford D60 but it'll cost ya $1400 so overall I'd suggest sticking with swapping trans or t-case.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Around here the ford dana 60's are gold and the chevy D60's are a dime a dozen. If I went with the 205 from behind a Getrag, do I need the coupler or extendtion housing from that application as well?

does no one have fab skills anymore to move spring perches or to place them on an axle??? i just seen an axle out of an 06 ford for sale on ebay for $600 buy it now. of course depending on where your at if you purchased it might add some for shipping or travel

Don't put a dang Hp60 in that Chevy , the chevy D60 have strong knuckles .

Here is what you need to do

1. Buy dodge Nv4500 and a dodge Np205 t-case
2. Buy a GM nv4500 1996 and up with 1985-91 Np205 with 32 spine , no other adapters needed to bolt up .

If you need help finding these parts let me know !

Scott

Street sleeper,
I can buy ford 60s all day long for 600 but single wheel Chevys are pulling 1200$, want to swap a few and we can bolth make some money?

Don't put a dang Hp60 in that Chevy , the chevy D60 have strong knuckles .

Here is what you need to do

1. Buy dodge Nv4500 and a dodge Np205 t-case
2. Buy a GM nv4500 1996 and up with 1985-91 Np205 with 32 spine , no other adapters needed to bolt up .

If you need help finding these parts let me know !

Scott

Thanks for the info. I will let you know.

chevy12v where are you located?

St Louis mo, but I'm planing on a trip to wi in the to visit a couple friends I deployed with

Scott,

I am getting ready to start the 80's chevy swap and still gathering parts up. You have any leads on a NV4500 / N4500's like the setup you described and if so how much are we looking at to put this setup together? Its between that or going the cheaper route and finding the adapter plate and running the SM465 behind it, hard part is finding that adapter, and the flywheel for reasonable prices. Motor will be 6Bt Cummins.

I would really prefer the NV4500, just trying to build this on some sort of budget to keep it realistic (no fun I know).