Cummins vs. Dmax

It is a government cover up.

I call it "Diesel Welfare"

They slow down the Cummins trucks so the duramaxes don't get to butthurt.
LOL

NO DIESEL LEFT BEHIND!

EFI-Live and being able to tailor the power to exactly what you need.

The trans is a real big factor. Add the trans and weighing less and BANG there you have it.

had an 05 cummins and now a duramax....stock for stock, no comparison dmax wins. It is noticeably lighter....wind blows it around a lot more on the highway.

Depends on the race too....V8's can really pull hard at highway speeds where as a cummins auto....not so much. A 6.0 could only run 14.6 in the quarter and I was around 14.0ish....he could pull away from my cummins at 70mph all day long. Only way I could win was from a stop or less than 45mph

I will never own another 48re after driving my allison for 8500 miles now. Put it in manual and shift the gears yourself....big notice in difference if you pull to 3k rpms through 5 gears before hitting 6th!

I dunno... Gee i guess by my name here i'm alil biased towards the duramax but anyways.

my buddy bob has an 03 cummins 4x4, 6 speed crew cab. that thing is stout. I do love the torque of the cummins but the standard transmission really holds it back. also that dumb dodge rides like a brick. For torque I'll always give it to you cummins guys... an inline of the same displacement will always make more torque than a V engine, both engines being equal in stock trim and minorly modified. Look at the 302 V8 and 300 I-6 ford gassers. The I-6 always pulled better and lasted longer than the 302. I've had both of them. I agree that the inline is an awesome set up.
But ya know what guys, I love my Duramax. Its very strong for being stock. Its 'reletively' street quick for the little I have do to it. I mean I beat a HEMI truck with it totally stock. I think the right is great on the GMC i own and alos the chevys... I said it before that If I copuld id have a truck of my choice it would be a ford frame and body, cummins engine and an ally trans. Gotta love the ally trans. Enough from me.

sounds like dodge should really step up their trany, i could see that being a major factor holding it back ... unlike the dmax the internals seem to be good at higher power levels, which would make it ideal. What is the weight difference between the two assuming auto reg cab long box 4x4..????

I may be way off base here, but didn't one of the Duramax drag trucks switch to a 48RE recently as the allison was the hold back?

yeah buck spruill did get rid of the allison, but that is an extreme example. and joediesel, dodge did step up their tranny, their new 6 speed 68RE i believe what is is called, behind the 6.7.

Ever seen what the torque from a Cummins will do to an Allison? Not pretty.
Yes. They are putting 48RE's in drag D-maxes.

Well im glad to hear that! (6speed tranny) There using the 48re's for there durability im assuming. I suppose upto say 600-700hp or so the allison is great due to having more ratios. For me im looking for the ultimate plateform with the least amount of investment. Ive been jumping back and forth between the lb7, lly dmax, and the 3rd gen cummins. Im not looking to build a dyno queen, but a competitive 1/4miler. Any sort of fuel economy is appreciated but not my main concern. What do you guys think?

i've got a 07 LBZ and 06 Goat (Cummins). I seen in side both trannys 48re is junk burnt it up 3 times. Allison has never turned the fluid dark on me. Suncoast sells a converson kit to put an allison behind a cummins not the other way around. Look at an allison sitting beside a 48re. There is no comparison. I'm a Cummins fan and Dodge really needs to do something with the monkey junk thier calling trannys. The new ones are supposed to be just like the old one's still can't figure them out i guess.

i've got a 07 LBZ and 06 Goat (Cummins). I seen in side both trannys 48re is junk burnt it up 3 times. Allison has never turned the fluid dark on me. Suncoast sells a converson kit to put an allison behind a cummins not the other way around. Look at an allison sitting beside a 48re. There is no comparison. I'm a Cummins fan and Dodge really needs to do something with the monkey junk thier calling trannys. The new ones are supposed to be just like the old one's still can't figure them out i guess.

almost sound like a discription a a 6.4 compared to a 6.0 :bang

i would take a 4L85E over a 48re any day

yea from what ive learnt from this site it looks like ultimatly a cummins/ allison combo would really throw down on the 1/4, dyno etcetc

the problem with the allison is building one. Can't do much to them in comparison....48re's have been broken and built so many times that lots of companys can build them FULL BILLET, unlike an Allison. in all out drag trucks, build 48re's are probably stronger than a "built" Allison. I had 2 different 48re builds in my 05 CR...DTT then HTS. HTS is an awesome trans, but its still a 4 speed and plagued with shift hunting, flaring, and more on the street. On the street, Allison is king no comparison.

tranny

I hear the Opie tranny is the way to go. The 0-60 is much improved and it's practically bionic,.. also it's a six speed too. :rockwoot:

what is the 0-60 on a 3rd gen? assuming built trans +smarty/ tst etcetc

I hear the Opie tranny is the way to go. The 0-60 is much improved and it's practically bionic,.. also it's a six speed too. :rockwoot:

do what??? i wanna ride in that truck! Knew of Opie's shafts and what not, didn't know of the 6 speed part.