Cummins vs. Dmax

A fully built 48re will out perform a allison on the track. The allison while being a great towing tranny, is not a hotrod tranny. It shifts too slow, and as mentioned before is harder to build up (not impossible). There are lots of guys going fast with an allison, but IMHO if they had a 47/48re in there they would be faster.

as for weight, I own both a qc dodge and a qc chev, we all know that a chev has a much bigger cab, but it still weights allmost a thousand pounds lighter. It has taken me a ton of work to get my dodge below the 7k mark, the chevy is allready there stock.

The duramax is a quick reving engine that builds its hp in a positive manor for racing purposes. My 07 LBZ with allmost a thousand lbs of extras and only a diablosport tuner (no other extras) ran a 14.64 1/4 @ 98 MPH. It took allmost 10 grand to get my dodge there,, but it seems that after around the 12 second mark it has been getting easier to get the times out of my dodge..... so its a tough call to that point,, but I think that if I was to build a rail car or something that I was going all out on,, I would have to look very closely at the duramax just due to the v8 configuration, and the valvetrain setup

JMHO

Kevin

A fully built 48re will out perform a allison on the track. The allison while being a great towing tranny, is not a hotrod tranny.

You guys talking about how bad the 48re is need to get behind one that is built RIGHT. They shift hard and hold about any hp you can put to them.
The dodge trannys have gotten a bad rap from shops that don't understand the TORQUE of the cummins.
When you talk about a drag truck, there is little comparison between having a V8 vs I6. V8 should win every time. Having the EFI live helps out,too.
The dodges have been very impressive, for what they are working with. Given that the new smarty race tune is soon being released, I would expect lower times from them.
When arguing Cummins vs. Duramax, it is not apples to apples. Both have there goods and bads.

A fully built 48re will out perform a allison on the track. The allison while being a great towing tranny, is not a hotrod tranny.

You guys talking about how bad the 48re is need to get behind one that is built RIGHT. They shift hard and hold about any hp you can put to them.
The dodge trannys have gotten a bad rap from shops that don't understand the TORQUE of the cummins.
When you talk about a drag truck, there is little comparison between having a V8 vs I6. V8 should win every time. Having the EFI live helps out,too.
The dodges have been very impressive, for what they are working with. Given that the new smarty race tune is soon being released, I would expect lower times from them.
When arguing Cummins vs. Duramax, it is not apples to apples. Both have there goods and bads.

definitely not apples to apples. my dmax is a TOTALLY different animal from my cummins. I like the duramax better for daily driving though, but do miss cummins power.

the problem with the allison is building one. Can't do much to them in comparison....48re's have been broken and built so many times that lots of companys can build them FULL BILLET, unlike an Allison. in all out drag trucks, build 48re's are probably stronger than a "built" Allison. I had 2 different 48re builds in my 05 CR...DTT then HTS. HTS is an awesome trans, but its still a 4 speed and plagued with shift hunting, flaring, and more on the street. On the street, Allison is king no comparison.

I don't have any shift hunting or flaring and I don't think scotty does either or rowland. Maybe it was just yours. LOL

really

Ever seen what the torque from a Cummins will do to an Allison? Not pretty.
Yes. They are putting 48RE's in drag D-maxes.

My allison laughs at my cummins, my allison has stock shafts with no issues, if anyone here has seen a allison side by side with a 47 or 48 re trans will agree the allison is far superior when it come to heavy duty towing, it is nearly impossibe for a clutch to clutch trans to do what bucks truck needs, thats why he went to a dodge trans.a clutch to clutch trans (allison) can't really shift fast enough compared to a dodge. My allison will out tow any other set up that i have seen. And i love it, sure beats the manual that was in it.:rockwoot:

Last edited:
My allison laughs at my cummins, my allison has stock shafts with no issues, if anyone here has seen a allison side by side with a 47 or 48 re trans will agree the allison is far superior when it come to heavy duty towing, it is nearly impossibe for a clutch to clutch trans to do what bucks truck needs, thats why he went to a dodge trans.a clutch to clutch trans (allison) can't really shift fast enough compared to a dodge. My allison will out tow any other set up that i have seen. And i love it, sure beats the manual that was in it.:rockwoot:

In my eyes Dodge vs. Allison = Carborized vs. Chem Hardened.

I like my Allison, but it is pretty much built pretty much like no elses. Of course I too have both trannys. I actually make parts for them know all to well the problems of both. The newest Allison upgraded design can shift faster than my vintage 05 but even so add some big horsepower and a Dodge will still hand it it's azz at the track. In my eyes Allison has incorperated/improved on a ding dongs idea from a couple years back. I too like towing with an Allison even though I feel second and third ratios are too close together.

I feel the reason Buck went with a Dodge was he wanted to see what it was like to have a transmission that would live an entire race.:hehe:

DMax is a cheap date to make meduim power. But far too expensive route to take for what I want and that is to get into the 10's. My 05 shrunk a couple rods while running 11's last year. Currently it's in process of getting a new motor installed. I like the Chev Body but the rear end while bigger and all is junk. I have debated putting a all Dodge drivetrain in it but then remind myself it will be a far better deal for me just to sell it and start another project.

I don't have any shift hunting or flaring and I don't think scotty does either or rowland. Maybe it was just yours. LOL

You and Rowland shouldn't have it. Its a 05+ 48re problem only. This is because dodge did away with the tv motor assembly to allow electric crap to control shift points. It should be eliminated with the HTS in Scottys truck but it still happened to me occasionally when I had that HTS.

This is not a phil problem either, its very common. this is why DTT and TS sell shift controllers now. I had one from DTT and it was absolute junk.

this is why DTT and TS sell shift controllers now. I had one from DTT and it was absolute junk.

Good to know, I was debating on whether it would be needed. Of course I just got the trans in, but was thinkin about it. What were the issues, if ya dont mind?

Good to know, I was debating on whether it would be needed. Of course I just got the trans in, but was thinkin about it. What were the issues, if ya dont mind?

didn't solve the issues it was supposed to solve! if you hit the button to change settings too much, it would get confused and freeze up throwing tranny codes.

Some people have them with great luck. Be sure to have it custom tuned to YOUR truck or it won't work right....mine was supposed to be set up right but wasn't...long story.

I feel the reason Buck went with a Dodge was he wanted to see what it was like to have a transmission that would live an entire race.:hehe:

for some reason gut feeling says its builder related and not power related? to their tranny problems...

but what do i know.............

Love the cummins hate 48re. Still trying to figure out who has been smoking some of the wrong black smoke:homo:. You all hear that waste management truck coming to get the tranny out of my truck!:pop: (no dis-respect to suncoast)

Some of them are still wet behind the ears:hehe:

Last edited:
for some reason gut feeling says its builder related and not power related? to their tranny problems...

but what do i know.............

I don't know about gut feelings but I heard another builders tranny failed in that rig on its first pass and it was not at full power.

speculation on who's what isn't doing anybody any good. Buck and Jess have a VERY unique truck that far exceeds what most will do with their truck. That 'big O'le shaft' in the Allison..... Buck has snapped more than one.

I'd like to see Opie build a 68 with LARGER shafts. :rockwoot:

speculation on who's what isn't doing anybody any good. Buck and Jess have a VERY unique truck that far exceeds what most will do with their truck. That 'big O'le shaft' in the Allison..... Buck has snapped more than one.

I'd like to see Opie build a 68 with LARGER shafts. :rockwoot:

Opie has had his day staring into the eye of the sun, even though that is where the fun is... The 68's arn't on the agenda nor is producing any more gear sets for the five speed conversion. The nicest thing about not making/selling improved designed parts is you don't have to deal with others copying them later on.

So whats wrong with the 5R110 Torqushift Ford tranny, I believe they have had the least amount of problems. With the right tuning its great.

So whats wrong with the 5R110 Torqushift Ford tranny, I believe they have had the least amount of problems. With the right tuning its great.

I have yet to see someone who likes those trannies, besides ford owners (i probably will now, just because i said something).

I would take a stock torqshift over a stock 48re any day. But I would take a fully built 48re over the torqshift or Allison.

Well I no at ID they have some trucks running low 12's with stock tranny.
there is no way a dodge 48re would do that not stock maybe after a few thousand spent.

Back