Cummins VS Duramax

Joesixpack

Pull'n it.
Being a Cummins guy.....couldn't be more pleased with how the race in Florida turned out.

Have to admit though, NEVER thought the big C could hang with the better flowing heads, lower reciprocating mass of the Duramax in a drag racing application class with a 2.6 "Equalizer".

I suppose this was a relatively small cross section of trucks, and the turnout biased but still......sure was thinking this would have been the realm of the Dmax.

:poke:

Looked pretty even to me, everything considered. Still way too early to make a judgement call on which manufacture will have the heads up. Take a great team and they will win with subpar equipment, and take a overly funded team with the best equipment that doesn't know **** and they will lose.

Just like most things in life.

Yeah, the tuning advantage Seth had was key.

No disrespect to the big money contributes from Smarty. It was just painfully obvious what truck was the fastest by a long shot. However, the potentially won in this competition has to be a drop in the bucket vs money invested in that motor, tuning, time, ect. :)

Will jones made 10.7x passes with a good ole 12 valve
CompD Mobile Device

Would have liked to have seen that pass where he broke racing Phil a full pass. That truck came alive big time right before something broke. I think that would have been better than 10.7.

No disrespect to the big money contributes from Smarty. It was just painfully obvious what truck was the fastest by a long shot. However, the potentially won in this competition has to be a drop in the bucket vs money invested in that motor, tuning, time, ect. :)

Not to discredit the truck Seth was driving, but 2 tenths wasnt a very big advantage considering the cost to build that setup vs a Smarty. Especially when you consider that Arons truck is still on the original stock bottom end and camshaft that came in it from the factory.

The turnout surpised me as well as everyone else, including Aron. But the main advantage Aron had was that his truck can be driven to Washington state and back and go straight to the staging lane and hotlap all day. Engine temps were 190 and tranny temps 150-160 all week long. That is the kind of truck that this race was intended for after all. I think the dmax was having temp problems of some kind as they were throwing ice and fans all over it. That Camomax truck is one badass truck though. I love to see it going down the track.

Were you there?

Not to discredit the truck Seth was driving, but 2 tenths wasnt a very big advantage considering the cost to build that setup vs a Smarty. Especially when you consider that Arons truck is still on the original stock bottom end and camshaft that came in it from the factory.

The turnout surpised me as well as everyone else, including Aron. But the main advantage Aron had was that his truck can be driven to Washington state and back and go straight to the staging lane and hotlap all day. Engine temps were 190 and tranny temps 150-160 all week long. That is the kind of truck that this race was intended for after all. I think the dmax was having temp problems of some kind as they were throwing ice and fans all over it. That Camomax truck is one badass truck though. I love to see it going down the track.

I said in so many words that the cost couldnt be exactly cheap :) However, give them time to get it tuned in more, I bet it'll go 10.49 before long.

Stock cam eh? That's kinda cool.....

Were you there?

virtually. :)

Just some observations - I think a well-tuned back-halfed 2WD CR truck (regardless of brand) would be the ticket for this class. The back-halfed trucks that showed up were brand new and untested. With Jim's truck (which is just stock suspension with some simple ad-ons like Cal-tracs, new leaf springs and an anti-roll bar) we were able to yank the front tires, but were still tire limited on our launches. Despite fighting fuel system problems we were running around 122 mph. I could see a sorted-out truck being very competitive with Seth's, without having to resort to the standalone controller. Another item that seemed to make a big difference on Aron's truck was his standalone transmission controller. Looking at the datalogs from Jim's truck I think we're leaving a bit on the table with less-than optimized transmission control.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Only person that was even close to catching Seth was the old 12 valve of Wills. Dmax's were only good enough for 3rd overall on best times. Maybe even 4th. Not sure.

Thats what made me the happiest about the finish regardless of the brand!

There was a opportunity for any of the six fastest trucks to win at any given time. We dropped 200lbs off my truck, in about an hour. When Matt and I made the final pass, I think the truck weighed 6375 with me in it. Smarty was set at SW1. I'm not making any claims, but I think it's a safe assumption to this the old 6.7 has a little more in it. We'll do it again, and I'm still shocked and amazed at the last weekend. I wouldn't change a thing!

Thanks,
Aron

Even with the red light, Aron ran quicker.. 11.03 vs the 11.13..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE8CsqLjuA4

Either way, these were two Amazingly quicker trucks!! Congrats to both!!

The thing to remember is, like Chris said, the 2.6 turbo was the equalizer and IS what will make this class SO competitive (and FUN) in the future.

This was the first time attempt...The class / rules will only get better from here!!

Thanks to all that supported this race and to the racers that made the showing!!!

Last edited:
I dont think anyone had an advantage other than set-up. between people breaking em loose in the right lane and certain trucks not even being able to get a 2.6 charger to light it was difficult to just pick one as a definte winner before the final round.