Daily Driver? Twins with mine or a 66 SB?

BgBlDodge said:
I've seen up to a 500* difference between pre and post turbo egt readings.

Wow! I thought is was around 250-300.....Oh well, Maybe i'm a little hotter than I thought....

Guess my 62/12 may be close to maxed out....??????

Injectors a bad idea right now????

I'm running flux1's with a 62/12 and can hit some high egts(1550*) at WOT with the smarty/mp-8 stack.Your best bet is going to be twins for no loss of bottom end.I have no experience with them but I have the same goal in mind with my truck and have asked a 1000 questions about this on several forums and keep getting the same answer, TWINS!!!!!

on my truck, which is my daily driver...i ordered my cp3 and turbo at the same time, and the injectors were done a week after that, so i cant really tell you as to what order to go in. I would say though turbo, then CP3, then injectors

Big Swole

I'm not sure how your '05 will respond but I know a local '07 running small BD twins, 90hp DDp sticks, Smarty 4.4, and a minor CP3 mod that put down 644Hp. The egt's are supposed to be reasonable.

For about a year I ran a the same BD twins, a Smarty 4.4 and made 520Hp. Towing heavy I never got the Egt's much over 1200 degrees.

Running the BD twins (setup in my signature) I hit 1600 degrees (with the water/meth switched on) in seconds.
I am probably going to go S-400 on the bottom and might modify the top S-300 with some goodies from Gillette.

I am also eyeballing my cam options...Anyone got a recommendation to suite my needs?

smokin07, IIRC the BD twins is an s3/s4 setup. i'd go with a 62/S480. As for cam, either the Maxxspool from Greg, or the Helix from Don. If you feel like reading for about three hours PM me and i will send you a link about cams.

homewrecker said:
I'm running flux1's with a 62/12 and can hit some high egts(1550*) at WOT with the smarty/mp-8 stack.Your best bet is going to be twins for no loss of bottom end.I have no experience with them but I have the same goal in mind with my truck and have asked a 1000 questions about this on several forums and keep getting the same answer, TWINS!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up...........Twins it is!!!....Now just got get the BEST bottom turbo worked out.........So many differernt choices and opinions here

s480
s400
3B
B2
ECT....

Enough air and quick spool for 650+.......

Hmmm!!!!

Smokin07 said:
Big Swole

I'm not sure how your '05 will respond but I know a local '07 running small BD twins, 90hp DDp sticks, Smarty 4.4, and a minor CP3 mod that put down 644Hp. The egt's are supposed to be reasonable.

For about a year I ran a the same BD twins, a Smarty 4.4 and made 520Hp. Towing heavy I never got the Egt's much over 1200 degrees.

Running the BD twins (setup in my signature) I hit 1600 degrees (with the water/meth switched on) in seconds.
I am probably going to go S-400 on the bottom and might modify the top S-300 with some goodies from Gillette.

I am also eyeballing my cam options...Anyone got a recommendation to suite my needs?

Well, If I do the cp3 mod. and 90hp stix First as I plan, I'd better be careful with the Egt's for a while.....Twins will come next (hopefully sooner than later)....

BTW......Does anyboday know how long MPI takes to build the twins and does it come shipped with EVERYTHING ready to bold up? Or do you have to go there????......Haven't called him yet......Just thought I'd ask ....I'm gonna try and find time to call today though...

If it was me, I'd do an S480 just because I know I wouldn't be able to stop...but an S475 (standard S400/B2) should be OK for 700hp, and actually a little better matched to the 62mm;)

Chris

Signature600 said:
If it was me, I'd do an S480 just because I know I wouldn't be able to stop...but an S475 (standard S400/B2) should be OK for 700hp, and actually a little better matched to the 62mm;)

Chris

Thanks man..........Your prob right about not stopping, but I just can't see needing more than 700 for street purposes only.......PLUS, my wallet will fail just like the parts will if I go much over that!!!!......But then again, I'll find a way!! :evil ..........I'll just work even more O.T.

Like I said, a standard S400/B2 should get you to 700hp...but an S480 will do it better, with a little sacrifice in spool!

Chris

feelmecummin said:
smokin07, IIRC the BD twins is an s3/s4 setup. i'd go with a 62/S480. As for cam, either the Maxxspool from Greg, or the Helix from Don. If you feel like reading for about three hours PM me and i will send you a link about cams.

I have the smaller bd twins that are S-3/S-3.
The bottom is a "bigger" S-3.

BD says the S-3/S-4 combo will support up to 1000 Hp? Other than twin CP3's I am done adding fuel....what are your thoughts there?

My concern is that something like a 62/S-480 could be pretty doggy around town?

PM sent

Daily driver here with an externally gated II PS62 over a B2. With the helix 2 under the hood, it's a breeze to drive around town.

Great spool up and cooling, but things have gotten roasty over the 650 rwhp mark, which was my original goal. In the midst of researching upgrades for this truck, and thought about selling this set of turbos. However, I like them so much and how they drive up to the 650 mark, that I am seriously considering keeping them for a second truck.

Still gotta get approval for the second truck through the Chief Financial Officer, and then Board approval..... :hehe:

I hate you CR guys...HX40-16/B2 setup on my old 12v was @ 1700* at 450hp:D Needed more timing, and a some more boost, but I was still on the stock HG:S

Have fun!
Chris

It left when I made 387hp last summer with enough fuel for 500...tuning these things SUCKS!

Oh Well...at least I have something to do!
Chris:D

I am running MPI compound kit HTT 62/71/13ss S480
at 1500-1700 rpms start to make boost at 10-12 lbs of boost and from there on it goes to 60 lbs + instantly

thats just running the smarty alone 4.4 beta with tst off , & mp8 off
no black smoke unless you boost launch, the smoke level is almost completely non existent

which living in LA CA is not all bad I am jealous of all you out in the country with the flux 4.5s LOL.. rolling coal is cool !

attracts the law too easy & a huge bust here in the big city !

I smoked a 2007 porsche carrera
which runs high 12s the guy knew how to drive it , he was dumb founded when he realized what happened

I raced him 2x once on the hwy from a 70 mph roll to 110 speedo limiter
then from a rolling stop at a light where I destroyed him ! its unbelievable this combo works great !

my combo spools excellent on the street glad I went with the 62/480
before I had a single 66 dyno at 655rwp / 1262 ftlbs with all the same setup I have now except a single instead of twins.

the truck feels seat of the pants easy 100 hp more its fast for what it is I have no regrets whatsoever for me this is a very nice everyday setup !

thanks to nathan at MPI again

desertchecker said:
I am running MPI compound kit HTT 62/71/13ss S480
at 1500-1700 rpms start to make boost at 10-12 lbs of boost and from there on it goes to 60 lbs + instantly......

Holy big turbos!
Isn't that a lot of air for the fuel you have!.....No EGT problems I assume!
I might be out to lunch but I think a smaller set would improve your throttle response and drivabilty?
Perhaps California law is over the deep end?

By comparison my little S-3's will bump 55-60psi at a bit over 1500 rpm! Cruising along a level road at 60 mph the S-3's will be making around 15 psi.

I have had 5 different turbo set ups & this has been by far the best for my truck top end is unreal spools great drive-ability is so good its stupid

my truck runs smoother with this combo then a single turbo 62/65/14 combo

this was a money wise decision to go with the MPI twins talk to nathan told him what i wanted and what the truck was going to be used for & nathan at MPI set me up with this combo IMO nathan is the man he is very talented with twin set up the quality fit and finish is first class A+ the performance is even better!