DDP turbos

So far so good I don't have a lot of klics on it yet but it seems to pull pretty hard with just the tow tune on my bullydog. It spools around 1700rpm then takes right off. I hit 40lbs. plus with the tow tune only. I'm hopefully going to be dynoing it this weekend in Edmonton so we'll see how she pulls with my scarry larry tune. Cleans up the smoke way better than my poor little super b could ever too.

Whats the difference in DP from a twin set using a 66/74/14 and a 62/74/14? Same exhaust side, so?....

The compressor wheel is alot smaller than the turbine and when pushed the gases build up in the manifold while the compressed air it is making is not as great as the air being forced out. The CFM is less than what the turbine can push. The 66mm compressor is about as small as you want if your running a 74mm turbine. And previously the 62/74 is the compressor/turbine numbers not a 62mm high pressure turbo and a 74mm low pressure turbo. The A3k is a 59/65/14 A5k 71/74. I'm good on turbo school but if any classes open I'll attend if they are in TN. Thanks and I'm glad you DDP 64/71/14 is working great for you. Did you get headstuds or valve springs so you can upload a stronger tune?

I've never heard of anybody offering the 62/74 in a compound... I asked Shane about it and Nathan at MPI both said it was a horrible high pressure turbo and drive pressures were extremely high. I've never had that turbo so I can't tell you first hand. It could be a good turbo but the guys that build known compound sets said they were bad.

This is from earlier on page 2.

I did the studs but have yet to do the springs. There still sitting in a box in my shed.

Yea I've been accumulating a ton of stuff and only like a dragonslayer, fluidampr, dual disk and I'll soon be buying those for my big install. I've got super B special and I'm goin with 120's for future compound R850 kit. I've got all Hamilton stuff and ARPs so hopefully the truck will be night and day difference. Did DDP say what max boost was?

Around 50lbs. give or take. I hit 45lbs. with just a tow tune so it likes to spin by the looks of it. Been holding back until the weekend with the larry tunes just so I don't hurt something until I get it on the dyno.

The compressor wheel is alot smaller than the turbine and when pushed the gases build up in the manifold while the compressed air it is making is not as great as the air being forced out. The CFM is less than what the turbine can push. The 66mm compressor is about as small as you want if your running a 74mm turbine. And previously the 62/74 is the compressor/turbine numbers not a 62mm high pressure turbo and a 74mm low pressure turbo. The A3k is a 59/65/14 A5k 71/74. I'm good on turbo school but if any classes open I'll attend if they are in TN. Thanks and I'm glad you DDP 64/71/14 is working great for you. Did you get headstuds or valve springs so you can upload a stronger tune?

LOL Yes, I understand what drive pressure is and how it is created. What I asked was, what is the difference in drive pressure if they have the same exhaust side? They both have 14cm housings and they both have 74mm wheels, but you are saying a 66/74/14 has less DP than a 62/74/14, right? That would be completely backwards as the 66 will flow more air.

Call up Shane at Wicked Diesels and he can tell you a little more on them than I can. As said before the 74mm turbine does not match the 62mm compressor wheel. The 66mm compressor wheel is a way better match and honestly should be the smallest compressor for a 74mm turbine.

Call up Shane at Wicked Diesels and he can tell you a little more on them than I can. As said before the 74mm turbine does not match the 62mm compressor wheel. The 66mm compressor wheel is a way better match and honestly should be the smallest compressor for a 74mm turbine.

I asked about drive pressure, not which wheels are better pairs. You said...

The drive pressures are HIGH and egt's get up there with bigger nozzles.

So, I am asking how is DP any different from a 66/74/14 to a 62/74/14? You cant come up with an answer because you dont have a clue what you are talking about. You READ that a 62/74 is a bad combo, then twisted it up in your mind, and blurted out that it would have high DP. I am trying to make you prove your point, you cant, because you are wrong.

STOP GIVING OUT BAD INFORMATION!

Do we need to refer to your last involvement in a turbo thread?

I asked about drive pressure, not which wheels are better pairs. You said...

So, I am asking how is DP any different from a 66/74/14 to a 62/74/14? You cant come up with an answer because you dont have a clue what you are talking about. You READ that a 62/74 is a bad combo, then twisted it up in your mind, and blurted out that it would have high DP. I am trying to make you prove your point, you cant, because you are wrong.

STOP GIVING OUT BAD INFORMATION!

Do we need to refer to your last involvement in a turbo thread?

What part of the compressor wheel and turbine wheel equal bad drive pressure do you not understand... are you just not getting it. Seriously if you want better info on how a 66 is less drive pressure than a 62 with the 74mm turbine CALL SHANE he'd be glad to give you more detailed advice than I can... It's really that simple, pick up the phone and dial is number.

I also just installed a DDP built turbo it works great its a 66/74/14 non gated I have an external gate not yet installed but without it hits 55psi and pulls hard, had a 66/71/13ss before it.

Do you have as 62/74/14 with a drive pressure gauge that can help prove your theory?

Ok listen dude my "theory" is when I was fixing to order a silver 62 and I wanted compounds later down the road. I called Shane and asked about it and the info I'm giving are the words right out of his mouth!! If y'all wanna start bashing on me then bash on him ok. He said it was not a god match per say with a 62mm compressor and drive pressures were high compared to a 62/71 and if I wanted to compound it with a low pressure turbo the drive pressures would be outrageously high. So what bad info am I giving out...tell me so I can tell Shane. Nathan at MPI said almost similar to what Shane told me so that's that.

But if anybody was wanting a 62/74/14 from II or DDP go for it I'm not bashing any company. Every truck is different and react different. Even tho this thread is a bout a 64/71/14 from DDP let's end the 62/74/14 and if anybody has questions about it post up a thread on a 62/74/14...end of story. Thanks have a good day.

I could see how different the maps would be from a 62 to a 66 using the same turbine and exh wheel, and the extra heat involved getting the 66 to "light", but that just doesn't make any sense that a higher drive pressure event would exist for the 62. It's been beaten into us time and time again that in a compound setup if you are gonna tow, use a 62(or smaller)/65/12. But if you wanna race, use a 62/71/14 as a secondary (less drive pressure). So, maybe the 74mm exhaust wheel isn't as efficient as the 71, I don't know. If anything, drive pressure would be a tiny bit lower on a 74 vs. a 71 wheel in the same AR housing. Just my thoughts.

Congrats on the Turbo Huck. Glad you like it.

@ backhoe man I'm sorry if I seemed to come off rude I definantly didn't mean to about that reply to your comment. I re-read it and it seemed a little asholish.

I am not worried about what you said it is no big deal what I was getting at is this is just what Shane and Nathan are saying. I have talked to both and run Shane's product and have respect for both of them. But I absolutely do not buy that a 74 has higher drive pressure than a 71. Maybe someone with a drive pressure gauge and a silver 62 will prove me wrong but I doubt it. The 74 is going to move more exhaust than a 71 so less drive pressure. What it will probably be is more laggy than a 71.

I need to go to turbo school as well. But from my experience I to was told by Shane at wicked and Nathan at MPI not to use my Silver 62 in a twin set up.