DEATH WOBBLE getting new track bar

Amish that last post was truly helpful. Thank you. I too have experinced the death wobble once!!!! No joke you get a rush. I was at about 85mph when it happened to me at the end of the enterance ramp .

I am replacing the shock hopefully this weekend. I am going to look at the frontend again. I would like an adjustable track bar. Which brand did you go with Amish elegance?

Please, call me Amish. :hehe:

My track bar checked fine, so I kept it. When it starts to go, I've heard rumors about replacement urethane bushings, thats likely what I'll do if I can find em.

Why do you want adjustable? Unless you're lifting or lowering, you don't need it, IMO. Your sig didn't say.

Reading your OP, track bar slop can make your steering wander a bit, but these trucks are famous for their crappy steering shafts.

Derail Warning: Speaking of steering shafts, my bro learned a trick on his 2nd gen that I'd never heard before. Told me about it this weekend. Dont know if it will work on 3rd gens or not, but hell: Pull the boot back on the steering shaft where the telescope joint is. If possible, wedge some zip ties in the gap between the two shafts. (there will be one if its worn.) The steering response will improve for a short time if the shaft is on its way out. Not a permanent solution, but she'll drive better while your new shaft is on order. :)
Maybe that one's been around before, but it was news to me.

I had it on my truck and it turned out to be the tires being wayyyy out of balance, it would only happen at 80+ mph so it got pretty dangerous like yall said

I followed this guy: Mark's Place!

I replaced my steering with these, for those of you 2nd gen guys reading this:

- Long tie rod: DS1456
- Drag link: DS1459
- Left tie rod end: ES3496
- Drag link tie rod end: ES3497
- Small adjusting sleeve: ES2012S
- Large adjusting sleeve: ES3498S

For those of you who have upgraded tp T style links, does it cause the accelorated wear that T bar links used to cause on older trucks?

I noticed last night when I was putting the new shocks on the truck when I had my girlfriends dad turn the wheel so I could access the lower shock bolt on the passenger side that the bar that goes from the frame on the driver side to the axel on the passenger side (name of this part?) it had alot of play on it. In the pic I have my finger on the part that is really loose. I can feel alot of play when I turn the steering wheel. Is there a fix for this problem, and will this cause high speed death wobble?Jeremy's truck.jpg

Your track bar bushings are probably roached (the soft OEM units aren't too great even when they're new), and the hardened track bar bolt has ovalized the brackets - if you can see the bolt head moving, imagine how much more the rear flag nut is traveling from the threads (instead of the shoulder) wearing the thin track bar bracket.

Zero-deflection track bar bushings + aftermarket track bar hardware = no more unwanted track bar movement (aka death wobble).

I thought my links were bad too so i changed them out and still has death wobble only on stock tires that i use for th track. I can put on my 33s and i have no problems at all what gives

Your track bar bushings are probably roached (the soft OEM units aren't too great even when they're new), and the hardened track bar bolt has ovalized the brackets - if you can see the bolt head moving, imagine how much more the rear flag nut is traveling from the threads (instead of the shoulder) wearing the thin track bar bracket.

Zero-deflection track bar bushings + aftermarket track bar hardware = no more unwanted track bar movement (aka death wobble).

Now is this the track bar I have my hand on?

Here is what I have going on with my track bar. What do you guys think about the bushing I am getting the most play out of the axel side of the track bar. Should I replace the track bar, because I have 2.5 inch leveling spacers on the truck? I am posting some pics of the stock track bar bushings.truck tb1.jpg

truck tb2.jpg

truck tb3.jpg

The 2.5" leveling spacers took caster out of the front axle, which makes the truck more susceptible to DW - if you haven't already, turn the lower control arm cams forward to max caster and inflate the front tires to max psi.

You can swap out the OEM track bar bushings with a set of zero-deflection bushings offset-machined to laterally re-center the axle... but you're going to need aftermarket track bar hardware to keep the bolts from moving in the brackets (as evidenced by the visible wear in the last photo).

Where is the best place to pick up a track bar? Will it help going to a 1.5 inch versus the stock 1.25 track bar? The holes on the stock mount did not look to be ovaled out any . Now about this caster adjustment, is this the adjustment on the tie rods or trailing arms? Thanks

Where is the best place to pick up a track bar? Will it help going to a 1.5 inch versus the stock 1.25 track bar? The holes on the stock mount did not look to be ovaled out any . Now about this caster adjustment, is this the adjustment on the tie rods or trailing arms? Thanks

Can any of you guys tell me how to adjust the caster on my truck? Thanks.

Turn the lower control arm cams forward to increase caster.

Well I maxed out the casters today. Now my question is how are you guys setting up your adjustable track arms? How do you center the Axel? Thanks guys.