Died and won't restart

Curt2199

I've posted a few other places but I just wanna make sure I get all the good advice I can before I purchase replacement parts....

I have a 2006 Cummins with 109k mi. It died under normal acceleration at about 40mph and won't fire. Haven't been able to boost over 22psi for a month or so since I started getting a P0243. Assuming that my wastegate solenoid died and wastegate is stuck open. Truck has been a slug (no top end) but I haven't driven it much until I get the new solenoid on. Since I started debugging I now have a P0251 code.

Things I've done to debug...

1. Took line from Lift pump to CP3 loose at CP3 and it's pumping fuel pretty well with key on. Put a fuel pressure gauge on (Banjo bolt bottom of filter canister) and get 5-7 psi range.
2. Took return line from CP3 to the filter housing loose and I get fuel with key on.
3. Loosened line at pressure relief valve and no fuel under crank (PRV Ok)
4. Loosened injector line and no fuel under crank (No fuel to injectors)
5. Loosened line out line out of CP3 to rail and no fuel under crank.
6. FCA is clicking with key on.. (FCA Ok?)

I can't think of anything that could cut fuel to the CP3 besides the FCA or the lift pump (and it's pumping a decent amount of fuel) and from what I hear the FCA normally gets stuck open when it goes bad. I'm not getting a drop of fuel to the rail from the CP3. Anything else to check before I buy a remanned CP3?

Unplug THE FCA and Try and Start...If it won't start give it a shot of either.. and report Back....

I've tried unplugging the FCA and it didn't do anything. Haven't tries starting fluid. Where should I spray it?

key on and wait for a few minutes before you spray, then spray right in the open airbox (take filter out) Be careful and dont spray while the heater is cycling, thats why you wait a full two minutes.

Ok, I have a CAI but I'll just pull the filter and give that a shot. It'll be friday before I can get back to the truck to give it a shot.

Well I worked on it all day and still not fixed. I unplugged the FCA for all testing. I pulled the breather and gave it some shots of starting fluid and it cranked over and fired few times from the ether but would always just die. I did get a little air pressure out of the CP3 because I cracked the line (after cranking) and saw some bubbles but it was definitely no where near enough pressure to start the truck! Now I only appear to be getting a little air pressure and never really any fuel from the CP3.

I also pulled the cascade overflow valve on the cp3 and a bunch of black crap came out. I'm still thinking the CP3 pump is bad. My air dog arrived yesterday so I'm gonna go ahead and put it on tomorrow. I'm gonna order a rail pressure gauge tonight so I can check it but I don't think it's going to make a difference.

I pulled the output line on the CP3 and after some more cranking and nearly running the batts dead again I never could get any more fuel out of it... not a drop. I could get fuel from the return side and the COV port when I pulled the COV out (with key on and lift pump running) but never anything out of the CP3.

Also, what's sugar do to a diesel fuel system? I pulled the valve out of the CP3 that the output line screws onto (not sure what it's called) and I noticed a very small amount of something clear and gel looking that smelled almost a little sweet. Maybe it's just some sort of build up from the fuel.

Curtis

Any more ideas for me to trouble shoot? Also anyone know the best method to remove a stripped FCA screw? I now have one...

Last edited:
What type of crap came out of the COV? Do NOT crank the Batteries Dead Again...if it don't start 3 times on 5 second cranks its NOT going to start?

I doubt the air dog is gonna make much of a difference because I'm getting 5-7 psi from the stock pump and it bumps to 10-12 psi when cranking. The air dog is just preventative maintenance.

It looked like black pieces (sediment)... crap you normally find in the bottom of the fuel filter canister. I pulled the filter and cleaned the canister too. It has a Baldwin 5 micron.

Last edited:
i would be worried what has been sent through your injector lines and rail, as well as injectors. it doesnt take much contamination to stink an injector...then boom goes a piston.

side note:
Todd...i still need to call yeah, i bought a Hellman fuel block though.

Unplugging the FCA is MAX Volume..#1 FCA Stuck #2 CP3 Does the State You live in have mandatory Bio-Diesel?

I found a friend with a starscan code reader and he put it on and we cranked it over. The rail pressure is reading 49psi when cranking.

so if I pull the FCA and pull it apart like it I were going to mod it I could probably see if it's scored and stuck?

I live in Illinois and have yet to find a station around that has straight diesel... it's all mixed.

Also just went out and put an ohm meter on the FCA and it shows 3.4 ohm across the terminals and getting 6.9V at the terminal with key on. I tried pulling the FCA but one of the bolt heads is stripped on it and the method for cutting the notch and using a flathead just stripped it open more so it looks like I'll be cutting that off tomorrow.. to hot today.

Last time that we had a truck in with black contaminated fuel it ended up having the pump and all injectors replaced, as well as replacing the lift pump with a fass and thoroughly cleaning out the tank and running new supply lines.

Decatur, IL... small world man. lol. You wouldn't be interested in a little diagnosing would you?

Did you get it going? My buddy has the same problem on his 06.