Difference in starters NV5600 vs. 47rh?

Bosshawg600

PDP.com FireFighter
Ok, so my 6sp is gone and we swapped in a 47rh....everything is going fine untill we tried to start the truck...... The starter isnt engaging......

My question is, We kept the trans mount and the starter from the NV5600.

Is there a difference is starters/bell housings/trans adaptor? Just trying to figure out what needs swapped or starter shimmed (hopefully) to get it to enguage the flywheel teeth

I dont know, I wanted to get as many options/measurements as possible before I start ripping things part.

Yep, you need a different block spacer/adapter.
The 6 speed ones have an extra ~ 1/2" cast into them to move the starter forward for the revised ring gear on the 6 speed flywheel.

I have the correct one sitting here, needing a new home. :D

Mark.

didn't know they were cast in. thought they all had the hokey plastic spacer on the six speed ones.

Yep, you need a different block spacer/adapter.
The 6 speed ones have an extra ~ 1/2" cast into them to move the starter forward for the revised ring gear on the 6 speed flywheel.

I have the correct one sitting here, needing a new home. :D

Mark.

Ok, so Ive narrowed down my problem!!! By any chance is it built in that you know, or removeable like said below?

didn't know they were cast in. thought they all had the hokey plastic spacer on the six speed ones.

I believe I clarified that it's "built in" when I said "...an extra 1/2 inch cast..."
But I might be wrong. :D

Mark.

But I might be wrong

lol. I was curious why south bend sent a starter spacer when we swapped in the NV5600.

How 'bout and 6.7 automatic flywheel housing used to mount a NV5600?? Any starter differences?? I have no future plans for the swap, just curious for parts interchangeability.

The 68RFE housing is deeper on the BELL side, about 3/8" deeper, if memory serves me.
The starter actually locates similar to any auto or OEM 5 speed, the depth is just added further rearward.

I recently picked up a "locked up " 6.7 with a 2WD 68RFE attached to it.
Well, turns out the engine was apparently in front of a 6 speed, because it had the round top plate, which is used with all CR 47/48 REs and CRs with 5 speeds.
It's also used with G-56s in both 5.9 and 6.7s, with NO STARTER REVISION..

The result of that combo? A falsely "stuck" engine. :doh:

Mark.

Last edited:
The 68RFE housing is deeper on the BELL side, about 3/8" deeper, if memory serves me.
The starter actually locates similar to any auto or OEM 5 speed, the depth is just added further rearward.

3/8" is pretty much what I remember as well.

The plastic piece or aluminum starter spacer sent out with clutch kits to upgrade NV4500 5 speed 12" clutches to the 13" 6 speed flywheel/clutch is probably what's confusing. The 5 speed/automatic transmission adapter can be adapted to fit an NV5600 flywheel with a simple spacer. The 6 speed adapter, however is not reverse compatible because the starter will not engage. I'm unsure if the 6 speed adapter can be milled down at the starter mounting location to make it work (I would assume it can be).

The plastic piece or aluminum starter spacer sent out with clutch kits to upgrade NV4500 5 speed 12" clutches to the 13" 6 speed flywheel/clutch is probably what's confusing. The 5 speed/automatic transmission adapter can be adapted to fit an NV5600 flywheel with a simple spacer. The 6 speed adapter, however is not reverse compatible because the starter will not engage. I'm unsure if the 6 speed adapter can be milled down at the starter mounting location to make it work (I would assume it can be).

Thought about that, would be interesting to try and get it machined down.

What about a starter with a bit more extension when engaged?

Ah, just going to yank the plate, machine it down 1/2", tap the holes and its back in and hopefully working and on the road!