does the lift pump need changed?

2000wvdodge

Public Enemy
Okay, i have read and understand all the pieces and parts needed and that have to be modified to make a conversion work. As for the simple things though, I just bought a lift pump for my vp, does it need to be replaced or are there parts that i can get to change it to make it hold the pressure that a p pump requires, its an air dog 150. Also how about some input as far as people being satisfied with drivabilitly, cold starts, and naturally the positives of the performance of it. Is there a cam that anyone likes to use more than another?

It just my openion, but I would change the lift pump and by pass the stocker all together. Know the great reliability of a stock pump, its just a good idea to get something like the air dog.

For driveablility and cold starts. Its just like a 12v. Mine starts just fine and drive great! But with the cam.......thats a whole nother can of worms!

well thats what i have now, (an airdog 150), my fear is putting the pump on the truck and whipping up on everyone and getting outlawed. they make rules around here to satisfy themselves.:bang

I am doing the conversion also. I don't know how much psi your Airdog puts out but I have the FASS 150/150 with 19psi. I will have to change my pump to a higher output.

I ran my FASS 150/150 at 18psi for about 3 months on my conversion, no real complaints with that at all. Pressure drop was only about 2 psi or so from idle to WOT, which surprised me. Switched to the 45 psi unit, and I didn't notice any real change. I put about 15k km on the low pressure unit before changing it.

That's interesting Tate. If it was working for you, why did ya change it?? I'm spending enough money on this conversion, if i don't have to change the fuel pump, that is great.

I put in a heilx 2 cam and ran a stock 12v lift pump with a holley blue pushing to it. Last I checked mine idles at 28psi.

Drivabilty varies with the mods, its not as forgiving as a VP. Really for a street truck under 600 Id keep the VP. A mine still drive fine but the mods I have make it a lil funny.

does that cam require the pistons being cut? my motive it to pretty much build the truck into a 3in truck with a 2.6 until they create a rule outlawing p pumps on 24v trucks, then i want to step up, kinda a grudge thing.:hehe: however im not sure which way to make all this work out yet!!!

It just my openion, but I would change the lift pump and by pass the stocker all together. Know the great reliability of a stock pump, its just a good idea to get something like the air dog.

For driveablility and cold starts. Its just like a 12v. Mine starts just fine and drive great! But with the cam.......thats a whole nother can of worms!

The cam makes it start hard?

does that cam require the pistons being cut? my motive it to pretty much build the truck into a 3in truck with a 2.6 until they create a rule outlawing p pumps on 24v trucks, then i want to step up, kinda a grudge thing.:hehe: however im not sure which way to make all this work out yet!!!

Nope, that cam is a bolt in. Im still running stock valve train to 4100. I wouldnt advise that many RPM, Im looking for and excuse to build mine.

2.6 on a 3.0.....................interesting.

Nope, that cam is a bolt in. Im still running stock valve train to 4100. I wouldnt advise that many RPM, Im looking for and excuse to build mine.

2.6 on a 3.0.....................interesting.

yeah i dont think its gonna work, im gonna call van sometime this week and get some input, what for charger do you run, i know curt used to run a compound setup and would pull the bottom charger off and turn the fuel back, i was thinking about doin something to this effect....

yeah i dont think its gonna work, im gonna call van sometime this week and get some input, what for charger do you run, i know curt used to run a compound setup and would pull the bottom charger off and turn the fuel back, i was thinking about doin something to this effect....

That seems like it could work. Pull the pump back enough, and just run the 2.6. Switching out the chargers would get old. Do they allow water in 2.6 in your area? Im runing a silver bullet as mine is still a street truck.

That seems like it could work. Pull the pump back enough, and just run the 2.6. Switching out the chargers would get old. Do they allow water in 2.6 in your area? Im runing a silver bullet as mine is still a street truck.

:bang well thats another battle, no water, and no bushing in the turbo, my home town is where they just had the big no show $1000 shootout. :hehe: i only plan on changing out the charger/chargers for the fairs!!!

do you have to use small injectors, lines,or delivery valves with these setups, i have a 66 and im kinda worried about having too much fuel. i dont want to get too nosy but when i order parts i want to order what i need, i by no means am going to start with something and try something else only to have to change something else, i hate dumb sh** like that. im guessing timing is somewhere between 18-22 right?

P-pumped trucks seem to like about 18 on te street, headgaskets dont like much over that. I know alot run 20-25 for pulling, some more. What you buy is really dependant on how you plan to use the truck. I dont know of any 3.0 trucks on the street, they may be out there. BossHawg is 2.8, I think his is still driven. Mine can tow a 4wheeler, thats about it.

I have 0.093 lines and tubes with little sticks. My pyro only goes to 1600:bang

P-pumped trucks seem to like about 18 on te street, headgaskets dont like much over that. I know alot run 20-25 for pulling, some more. What you buy is really dependant on how you plan to use the truck. I dont know of any 3.0 trucks on the street, they may be out there. BossHawg is 2.8, I think his is still driven. Mine can tow a 4wheeler, thats about it.

I have 0.093 lines and tubes with little sticks. My pyro only goes to 1600:bang

ok thanks roachie, this has given me a pretty good idea where i need to be, or at least start i guess.

I put in a heilx 2 cam and ran a stock 12v lift pump with a holley blue pushing to it. Last I checked mine idles at 28psi.

Drivabilty varies with the mods, its not as forgiving as a VP. Really for a street truck under 600 Id keep the VP. A mine still drive fine but the mods I have make it a lil funny.

My truck is at 658hp now, I just want more. If I thought i could get more out of a VP I would stay with it. Driveability has been with the right foot for some time.

Go with a S465. That will get you a 2.6 charger and you can change just the housing and have a 3.0. Thinking about doing that my self but I doubt it would be too driveable.

And yes I run a 2.8 on the street. It is a little big, but its not bad at all. I love the charger, but with they way things are going, 2.8 might be going out and I know I cant run with the 3.0 guys. Heck I cant even run with the 2.8 guys. So if I can find a 2.6 housing, I think ill be some what competitive.

Oh and towing.....not a good idea, towed 18k a few weeks ago with the smaller injectors, I think I shut down a few lanes of traffic!

Go with a S465. That will get you a 2.6 charger and you can change just the housing and have a 3.0. Thinking about doing that my self but I doubt it would be too driveable.

And yes I run a 2.8 on the street. It is a little big, but its not bad at all. I love the charger, but with they way things are going, 2.8 might be going out and I know I cant run with the 3.0 guys. Heck I cant even run with the 2.8 guys. So if I can find a 2.6 housing, I think ill be some what competitive.

Oh and towing.....not a good idea, towed 18k a few weeks ago with the smaller injectors, I think I shut down a few lanes of traffic!

well from where i stand looking at this deal, i think that the trucks days on the street are numbered, i have a good feeling that the setup thats going to be on it is going to have one purpose.:hehe: