Does your steering suck?

How much for the plate? I haven't read the whole thread, but interested ASAP!
AsTroSS said:
How much the adabter will cost?

I haven't worked out a deal with the admin on this site so speaking about prices in the public forum will get me the boot.

I haven't worked up a price for just the plate anyway.

Will have something soon. I know it's been awhile...

if that is it, not a bad price. Consitering what i already have in the front end to get the damn thing to trac right.

Got pulled over the other night because they thought i was drunk due to drifting in the lane

are the 08/09 boxes the same dimensions and the earlier ones?

I am not sure, I have fashioned the plate off an 2006 gear.

I am going to track down a new and compare it the 2006 cores that I have. From what I hear the 2008-2009 a quote a bit lager then the 2003-2008?

Ok,

After talks with Borgeson I am going to have to find a new source for the u-joint that splines to the steering gear. (If I can find one)

They do not make one to slide over the 5factory 2002 5/8" square steering shaft.

I need you guys' opinion... I am not sure on just selling the plate, bolts, and fittings with instructions on how to install it. You are dealing with something that could kill you if not done properly.

So two ways to handle this. Sell the plate with a steering shaft from Borgeson (Or give you the part # and you buy it from them $320 + change) Or sell the plate with instructions on how I modified the original by welding a 2006 u-joint end onto the existing steering shaft and make you agree that by purchasing the kit you take full responsibility, agree to only use it off road on closed courses and there is a chance that you WILL DIE.

The latter of the two will save some coin, and saving coin is what I am after!

PS, I have had it on my truck since May 2009 and it has worked awesome. Put it through the elk and deer hunt and it has performed flawlessly.

Currently driving it coyote hunting every weekend and again no problems.

If you were to provide the 2006 style u-joint and hose adapters along with the gear and mounting adapter, I think it would be a great kit. You could make another kit with the Borgeson shaft for those who want to go that route.
Personally I do not have a problem with a liability waver.

If you were to provide the 2006 style u-joint and hose adapters along with the gear and mounting adapter, I think it would be a great kit. You could make another kit with the Borgeson shaft for those who want to go that route.
Personally I do not have a problem with a liability waver.

The gear you would just pick up. (Factory from the dealer or equivalent ie PSC)

So really the only thing I would sell you is...
  • Mounting Plate
  • Socket head flats
  • Grade 8 mounting bolts
  • return line fitting (As the pressure is the same as the original)
  • possibly a u joint or shaft (Or give you the part number for Borgeson so you can buy it)
  • Part number for you to buy steering gear
  • Part number for you to buy pitman arm

This will allow you to get the steering gear, steering shaft, and pitman arm from the dealer or supplier and not have me mark it up.

That brings up another point. The pitman arm I am using is $25 something from the dealer. I guess they recalled all the 2003-2007 pitman arms involved in a steering recall and they are extremely cheap.

Thoughts?

Have you tried Flaming River or any other companies?

Its just a square shaft, not some speccialy shaped or splined shaft.

I wouldnt mind having it welded on. My front driveshaft on my bronco is made of square tubing with the yokes welded on. Still holing up fine.

Too bad the u-joint parts dont come apart.

The gear you would just pick up. (Factory from the dealer or equivalent ie PSC)

So really the only thing I would sell you is...
  • Mounting Plate
  • Socket head flats
  • Grade 8 mounting bolts
  • return line fitting (As the pressure is the same as the original)
  • possibly a u joint or shaft (Or give you the part number for Borgeson so you can buy it)
  • Part number for you to buy steering gear
  • Part number for you to buy pitman arm

This will allow you to get the steering gear, steering shaft, and pitman arm from the dealer or supplier and not have me mark it up.

That brings up another point. The pitman arm I am using is $25 something from the dealer. I guess they recalled all the 2003-2007 pitman arms involved in a steering recall and they are extremely cheap.

Thoughts?

Good enough! Let me know when you have the kit ready!

Have you tried Flaming River or any other companies?

Its just a square shaft, not some speccialy shaped or splined shaft.

I wouldnt mind having it welded on. My front driveshaft on my bronco is made of square tubing with the yokes welded on. Still holing up fine.

Too bad the u-joint parts dont come apart.

Flaming River? Just found their website, I am going to give them a call on Monday.

Yes, just a regular solid 5/8" square shaft.

Yup.

Just expensive.

That's what I am trying to avoid.

I have contacted flaming river for just the u joint. The next step is looking into getting one made.

I am sure there is a joint (something like a PTO joint) that is out there that I can use.

Hold tight....

We just replaced the high speed tooling with carbide. The plate has been CMM'd and we currently have 20 blanks ready to go.