Does your steering suck?

Either way I dont like machining it at all.... One day I'll break down at do it, along with the list of other things that need doing. Im just watching to see what you decide to do on the steering shaft. If I do it I would just cut and weld the newer end on there.

Bump.
Just asked a local steering gear rebuilder, hydrasteer, what makes the third gen boxes better. Here is the response I got.
Good Afternoon
Sorry for the late reply. The newer boxes are definitely a improvement over the prior design. The newer design has a one piece valve worm assembly compared to the three piece design used prior. The newer design also has a slightly thicker output shaft. To be honest the response time and feel of the new boxes is better but overall they still have a fairly high failure rate. When I say failure I want to clarify. The newer style do not suffer from the play problem nearly as bad as the older series but they still seem to develop leaks.
Thanks
Steve

Update,

Ordered a U joint, this weekend will be making a mechanically fastened coupler to attach u joint to the stock shaft.

Will post pics of the progress.

Getting closer...

CIMG1779.jpg

Youtube video on how to install this will be next.

BUMP for some updates. Did this ujoint work out?
The seal where the steering shaft meets the steering box decided to start leaking on my truck.

Yes, this U joint will work. I am still trying a few different methods of mechanically attaching it to the original steering shaft.

Something that is a simple bolt on that doesn't require any weld.

Yes, this U joint will work. I am still trying a few different methods of mechanically attaching it to the original steering shaft.

Something that is a simple bolt on that doesn't require any weld.

Are you willing to sell the plate yet? I'm not really concerned about the u joint since I need to replace the whole shaft anyways.

Updates?

And out of curiosity, why did you try to mate a 3rd gen box instead of a box say off a F350 or even 450?

Updates?

And out of curiosity, why did you try to mate a 3rd gen box instead of a box say off a F350 or even 450?

I had an 06 steering gear, so I guess that is why I choose to use it.

I had to buy a stick of 7/8" hex of 12L14 to custom make my own return line fitting. Just picked it up friday and I should have 10 or so until I source someone with a CNC to make them for me.

You CAN NOT find a pilot oring 20MM to hose barb. I have searched for months and have not found anything.

So I'm guessing that's a no on the plate........

Jeff,

You are going to have to give me a few more weeks to figure this out.

I have no problem selling you everything but the gear. The entire liability thing comes into play. Howard and I have to figure out how to limit our liability. I also have to get some sense of comfort and understanding that the person wanting only the essentials has enough common sense and skill to proper install all that is needed.

Additionally, I have to get some fittings made. YOU CANNOT buy a 20MM pilot Oring to 11/32 hose barb.

You would have to go to the dealer order a power steering return line for a 2006 Dodge for $100+ and then cut the fitting off of it. (Not very cost effective, and the whole reason I am making my own)

Low pressure return fitting is sourced, kit is done!

Billysgoat shoot me a PM we need to chat!

Timbo, reply to my PM's please!

I have another steering system on the road, BUT this guy went a little different route.

You can take the MASSIVE upgraded 3rd gen steering linkage and install them on a 2nd gen.

Here are some pics of the final install.

CIMG1821.jpg

CIMG1820.jpg

CIMG1816.jpg

CIMG1817.jpg

Big stuff here, about twice the diameter of the factory linkage.

O, and yes he loves it. Verbatim... "I do not have to heard my truck down the road anymore!"

Last edited:
It looks like the factory 98-99Hd set-up, with a solid tie rod connecting both knuckles.