dpf is gone

How is the power?

How is the shifting?

What about the regen?

Tell us more more more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you want to sell your DPF?

power is good, shifting is normal , just a lot of black smoke, no trouble codes after a few hours of hard driving.

Did the PPE clear regen or did you just rip the DPF off?

took it to the track tonight and so far just a cel, but no loss of power, ill keep you updated if anything changes.

What kind of times did you run at the track? Stock auto tranny, or 6 speed?

Eric

Should be do-able since the Duramax boys are stripping the dpf and using EFI Live to to compensate.

catalyst full message popped up today with no power loss, until i took the programmer off then the truck went immediately into limp mode. I've got a guy working on something for tommorow, seems the programmer keeps it from power loss, ill keep you updated on what i find

UNBROKEN said:
The one that says "HEY ! Your DPF fell off !!" :hehe:
I fiqured that much but he claimed no power loss which i was surprised to here, jr

marcw_02@yahoo. said:
catalyst full message popped up today with no power loss, until i took the programmer off then the truck went immediately into limp mode. I've got a guy working on something for tommorow, seems the programmer keeps it from power loss, ill keep you updated on what i find
Here is the latest on mine. I finally got sick of driving in limp mode so I reinstalled the DPF and Cat. Couldn't clear out the last 2 codes, P2463 Soot accumulation and P1451 EGT. So made up an excuse to go to the dealer, get my recall done and have them clear it out. They said the DPF is full and were going to hold my truck hostage until they got a new one to put on. Got out of there fast and went to a different dealer that I know is Horsepower friendly just a lot farther away. After brainstorming with the Tech, we discovered that the computer learns what the pressure voltages are while it is straight piped and if you don't clear out all the learned memory and reset to factory defaults the computer would not go into regen or allow the codes to be cleared. Seems that even with a clean DPF it thinks it is clogged so you have to clear it all out. Everything reset and it runs great again now, but will need to do something to the computer to straight pipe it again.
:bang

Just an observation here, as I don't claim to know anything about a new truck.

If it's reading pressure from the exhaust, via an electronic sensor, it would make sense that somewhere in the 0-5v range is what you are looking for. Has anyone tried a resistor from the reference to the output on the sensor? Pull the plug and let the resistor give it the correct voltage?
Feel free to send me packin back to 2nd gen room.. :bow:

Ridemywideglide said:
Just an observation here, as I don't claim to know anything about a new truck.

If it's reading pressure from the exhaust, via an electronic sensor, it would make sense that somewhere in the 0-5v range is what you are looking for. Has anyone tried a resistor from the reference to the output on the sensor? Pull the plug and let the resistor give it the correct voltage?
Feel free to send me packin back to 2nd gen room.. :bow:
The problem is that the computer is Adaptive and the voltages change to meet the condition. Mine for instance took the 1.07 volts that is saw when I removed the entire system and because it couldn't see anything, just stopped regening completely. Then once it had been a certain amount of time and miles the computer assumes that the DPF is clogged. At that point, whatever the voltage is, it will remember and assume that the new DPF is clogged too. When I put mine back on, it was as clean as not even having it on but the computer still thought it was clogged. You can't tell what the voltage is with out a Star Scan from the dealer and once you are there you just have them clear the memory and it defaults to the factory setting and you are good to go. If it had a set voltage that made it happy it would be easy to get around and they know that so they have come up with a great way to keep us at bay, For now at least. :bang

Ok, I follow so far.. What about a rheostat then? When it throws a code after X amount of time you could vary the voltage and in theory it should then run a regen shouldn't it? Thus getting you back in line for another X amount of time?
Adaptive may be a stretch, I'm thinking it's more if/then. If pressure = Y for X time then regen. The military has wanted "learning" computers forever, I don't think Cummins cracked it.
I can see having a time-loop in the program as a fail-safe so to speak. Regardless of what the pressure reads it will regen at a given time.
Without having my own to play with I'm just guessing.....

on edit:

Re-reading your post I think you may be missing something. Feeding the 1.07 volts to the ECU was the sensors job, and most likely the reading it was looking for by default. Simply unhooking the sensor, or leaving it reading a now backpressure-less environment won't work, as the voltage will change. Thus your regen stops.

Last edited:
Actually this is all new to me. I bought the truck to learn about all of this stuff so I don't get left behind in the dirt. So I am sure there is a lot that I am missing and I am sure that there is more to it than I know. You are right about the sensors job. I straight piped it, and unhooked all the sensors so it couldn't possibly see any voltages. I am not sure how the computer came up with the 1.07 volts but that is what it was seeing when I went to the dealer with the dpf back on the truck. I am assuming this is close to what it saw, maybe less than a volt when the dpf was off and so it must of assumed that this meant still clogged. If I would have been half smart I would have had the tech check what the default voltage was but I was just so glad to get rid of the codes and have the power back that I didn't and also didn't want to keep the tech from his regular work.
I think it is interesting and a lot of good information to know that it will do different things than maybe we are expecting. I am sure that the engineers have built in many ways to keep us from, or at least make it really tough to get around this stuff.

They always try, but people are persistent about wanting to mod their trucks.. :D

I'd check the voltages on that at a few different operational conditions to see where it's at "normally".

I think the rheostat (volume knob basically) would be worth a shot. Unplug the sensor and bridge the knob in there and you can set it to match certain conditions if need-be...