Drag racing an Overdrive in Drive or OD?

b4ctrooper

Anger Issues
Can you run a 12v with a 47RH in OD and let it shift into OD before the end of the 1/4? Can you do that in high power applications without shattering parts?

Just looking to see if it can be done. That way I can run more gear and not run out of steam before the finish

Put it in drive and let it eat. Been doing it this way since forever. :tree:

Ok, but if you run out of gear before the end of the track, will you shift into overdrive?

On a 1/4 mile track it always shifts into overdrive. If you can spool your turbo your converter should be fine.

Why would he be kidding?? A lower numerical gear will load the truck better and run better. Higher gear ratio will not load the truck as well. Lots of guys run a higher stall for this reason in a race application. I have 4.10's in mine right now but I also have a gear vendors.

Huh? If it's in drive it shifts into od by itself. You don't control it unless you did a swap or something?

I wasn't sure if people were shutting OD off when running down the strip. This is for a drag car. Just wanted to get an idea what I should do for gearing in it.

No. Why would I be kidding?

Why would he be kidding?? A lower numerical gear will load the truck better and run better. Higher gear ratio will not load the truck as well. Lots of guys run a higher stall for this reason in a race application. I have 4.10's in mine right now but I also have a gear vendors.

I read it as saying to lock out OD... Doing that without really tall tires or gears would gear bind him before the end of the track.

Yeah we just read it different. I was getting a bj when I posted so I wasn't paying 100% attention to say the least.

The sooner i shift into overdrive, the better my truck runs. These turbo diesels love load, the more the merrier.

I wish I could cross the finish line turning 2900 rpm instead of 3500+.

With stockish head, cam, etc, these 12 valves seem to choke a little around 3500 rpm and power drops off sharply!

My advice, gear it as tall as you can (low ratio numerically 2.9:1 etc).

I'm kind of assuming that's your type for some reason. Sounds like you got your money's worth!LOL