DTA466 turbo sizing options?

451888-11comp.jpg

You can get them in ball bearing or journal. Ours is ball bearing. The only bad thing about Garett turbos is they are expensive, especially the ballbearing ones. I don't remember the exact price but ours was over $2k and was supposed to be stock.

That is why I was thinking that an S366 or something might be a good option. They are damn good turbos and the more common sizes are about ~$700 brand new.

We don't run wastegates, but its race-only. I would talk to a good turbo shop and see if their experience jives...an 0.60 AR seems small to me, but on pulling tractors, we START at about 1.00 and don't mind if it spools a little slower LOL

After a little more reasearch, an 366 looks mighty good to me. Should comfortably make 35psi @ 66lb/min airflow and they are only $750.

Plus they use the DT466 style exhaust output and are T4 flange so making it fit should be pretty easy. Also available in a variety of reasonably small AR sizes. hmm.

Here is an S366 with 0.91 AR

s300-66-compressor-map.jpg

If you cross reference 3.4 PR and 66lb/min, you end up right on the 72% efficiency line. 3.4 PR is 35psi.

If I can read a turbo map, that makes it just about right. I only learned to read the damn things about a month ago so YMMV.

Last edited:
None of the S-series turbos are ball bearing from the factory. I doubt if you'd find a new ballbearing turbo for less than $1500.

We took off the ball bearing garret and put a (big) journal bearing turbo back on and I doubt that I could tell you what the ballbearing gained us. I wouldn't hesitate to run a journal bearing turbo.

ForcedInductions has an extended tip S366 on sale for $749. Those are supposed to run better than the regular ones and I bet that would be good for 40-45 psi if you wanted to crank it up. I really don't know how much boost you need to make 500hp but I can tell you what would be too much lol.

Last edited:
I just heard the ball bearings spool up faster and are smoother. I figure bearing ball bearing it should last forever too.

I just heard the ball bearings spool up faster and are smoother. I figure bearing ball bearing it should last forever too.

That's what they told us when they sold us the ballbearing turbo. I don't doubt it, but I wonder how much difference it makes, practically speaking.

How much is too much. Didn't you say the 4202 made 60 psi? Haha

Well, I can tell you that 70psi and 5000rpm is somewhere around 1000hp :charger:

We had turned the fuel down by accident and it still made 55psi and ran good enough for 3rd place. Pump shop said that was 400cc-ish of fuel. Your pump is probably set to 200cc or so, so you shouldn't have to worry about it.

ugh, you guys are really making me want to do this! i wish i could find a cheap crew cab med duty truck. heck even one with a bad engine or needing work id be ok with as long as it was decent and cheap

I just checked my flange is a t04 style.
A T04 turbo is T4 flange which is good, lots of nice T4 turbos like the S366 out there out there
I think I'd like the bigger one! Lol. What CCs are a factory MW pump?
a factory DT466 MW pump is rated about 100 mm3. I *think* that's about 160cc, so that would make yours 280cc which should make some good power.

Then again, my math could suck. I'm having a hell of a time finding the conversion from mm^3 to cc per 1000/strokes on google and I'm too lazy to kick on my brain.

duh. brain activated. 100mm3 = .100cc = 100cc per 1000strokes. So stock pump is 100cc....damn that's not much fuel!

Last edited:
You sir are the best. Thanks for going above and beyond to help. Well. Will it spool the GT4202? Think I can touch my hp goal?

Well this throws a wrench in the works. Just talked to the pump builder to verify man rpm and max CCs. This is what he said: "Max fuel is 176/1000 rpm is 2450." Doesn't sound like I'll be getting close to my goal.... Can I turn up the max rpm? Can I adjust the fuel more or is that about my limit what a MW can flow?

I'm pretty sure they were set up for 2800rpm from the factory. WTF possessed him to turn THAT down?

I don't know what the max output of an MW is, but I'd imagine it's more than that.

I've been told you can use a p-pump gov spring kit in the MW. That would get you about 3700rpm. You can swap the gov spring and crank up the fuel yourself, but I'd be tempted to find a gov spring kit for it and take it back to the pump guy and have him set it up.

Yeah, I don't know I told him what I was doing, guess he didn't care as long as he got my money!

must be a common thing with pump shops. the shop that does the yearly checkup on ours turned it down too far, then accused us of messing with it. the said part is, they are a VERY well known performance diesel shop.

the more i look at the s366 turbos, the more i want to build a superduty with a dt and an allison. :badidea::evil

over on psa there are 2 guys doing dt360 swaps into sd's and one guy on psn started the craze