Duramax questions.

If you dont have a motor/harness yet, this truck comes for sale with a motor, PPE harness and a "425hp" tune... plus you get a truck, lol.

2001 Duramax

I found a couple of nice hosts recently. Seems like there have been a number of older cars for sale. I'm hoping a couple in particular will still be available after the first of the year. Bought the rods and had the head ported for the 6.7 so I'm kind of commited to getting it done first. Found a pretty nice 69 AMX that would make an excellent host for a good "don't see one of those everyday" vehicle.

2 more questions if anybody is up for it. What is a good rpm to shoot for at 65mph with the Dmax.
And finally, in a sub 3000# car would something like a 47RH be a good tranny to cut down on the electrical complexity or is a lighter duty tranny better suited. Probably only looking at 500-550 hp range.
We found a frame jig, frame, front suspension(minus brakes) and complete bady with several boxes of interior componets, mirrors, etc for sale locally. if the measurements come out ok i'm going to buy it.

Talk to the Suncoast team. They are running a 4l80 behind a LBZ in a full weight pickup with some big power.

Is there a big difference between the 47RH and the 4l80 that makes one a better match than the other(adapter, length, cheaper, ??) I am familiar with the 47RH, but have nothing against a different setup.

What is a good economical cruise rpm for the Duramax?

Thank you all for the help.

RonA

1600-1800 cruising RPM would be nice (and typical for a 6-spd LBZ/LMM)... my 5spd is obviously higher with only 1 OD gear... I'm at ~2050 rpm at 72ish mph with 33" tires and 3.73 gears and 5-spd.

For that weight and power range, I'd feel pretty confident a 4L80/85 can be built to last.

Is there a big difference between the 47RH and the 4l80 that makes one a better match than the other(adapter, length, cheaper, ??) I am familiar with the 47RH, but have nothing against a different setup.

What is a good economical cruise rpm for the Duramax?

Thank you all for the help.

RonA

The 4l85e would not need an adapter plate, but is not as strong as a 47rh. At 3000lbs I think there is enough aftermarket parts to make a 4l85 live though. If you had a van harness you would not need any standalone controller for it either.

Last edited:
I found an LLY engine today out of a rollover. 3500 miles. Only 1/2 hour away so no freight charge. Wants $5k. Took measurements off the motor and the frame. Looks like it will work, but I need to find out how long the tail shaft on a 2wd 47rh is before i commit to it. The wheelbase on the chassis is only 95".

2wd 47 is 38.5" from bellhousing to end of tailshaft.

Length is an issue in this. I think I have to run an adapter with the 47rh on the chevy. Anyone know how much length that will add?

Length is an issue in this. I think I have to run an adapter with the 47rh on the chevy. Anyone know how much length that will add?

Didn't add anything comparing it to a duramax/allison. I'm using stock drivelines front and back.

I'll make a trip in to town next week and measure up the Allison and see how long it is. Looking doubtfull at this point. I can move the engine forward but that will mess with the weight distribution. Might have to just look for a bigger host.
Thank you for the information.

RonA

Width of adapter is 50mm iirc.
I have little used duraflite (47re) for sale with adapters, converter, electrics and all, but it is with 4wd tail.