Dynamic timing p pump

The mechanical cat setup is probably the simplest and most reliable, I always thought a scaled down version of it would be fairly simple. I guess the 12v market is probably a little soft for engineering a timing system.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

i have seen this idea discussed on here a couple times. the concern was the timing retarding or not being able to advance with a hot pump. too much load.

It really wouldnt be that diffcult todo, If you use fly weights and a ramp on a adjustable cam gear. As RPMs go up the flywheights come out thus pushing the cam gear up the ramp advancing(could retard to) the timing.

Would take some pretty heavy fly weights as those pump take a far amount of HP, but just thinking you could change weight or profiles to advance quicker or slower.

Think of it like how a Primary clucth CVT works on a snowmobile or ATV/SxS.

I was gonna say similar to that but a cvt clutch changes ratio. What you would need is a splined cam on the pump in behind the gear with a splined sprocket to match that has ramps cut in the front of it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459519499.611576.jpg
Similar to this and then the pump gear would have the matching ramp like the picture. Now the issue becomes that you need a spring pushing these two apart and then obviously weights that will over come spring as the rpm climbs. This imo would be extremely hard to fit in the tight space behind pump gear.

Yep kind of like the 3406 b models. Wonder if any of the smaller cat motors would have it. I have never messed with the smaller ones like a 3116 or something similar.

I was gonna say similar to that but a cvt clutch changes ratio. What you would need is a splined cam on the pump in behind the gear with a splined sprocket to match that has ramps cut in the front of it. View attachment 62541
Similar to this and then the pump gear would have the matching ramp like the picture. Now the issue becomes that you need a spring pushing these two apart and then obviously weights that will over come spring as the rpm climbs. This imo would be extremely hard to fit in the tight space behind pump gear.

Exactly what I had in mind just not the best on describing it.

A mixture between the fly weight in the primary and the helix in the secondary.

As other have said it might be diffcult with the HP these pumps take.

Exactly what I had in mind just not the best on describing it.

A mixture between the fly weight in the primary and the helix in the secondary.

As other have said it might be diffcult with the HP these pumps take.

Well a snowmobile takes a pile of Hp. And the primary can squeeze together with a 300# spring and three 58 gram weights. But the weights are also out on a 12" or so diameter which isn't possibly on a ppump. Also a sled motor or quad are anywhere from 7200-8000 rpm as well. It's the room it takes for this system to be made. But on that note if the ppump shaft was made longer and a different front case was made. The helix can be on the outside. Which would work. Would there be enough benefit for someone in pulling who is always in the same rpm range and has timing tuned for that? If not then there isn't much point spending time and money on a setup because I don't think it would be a worth while spending the money on a daily driver.

A number of pumps with variable timing are already out there. Just not too many people talk about it.

I ran one years ago .. Simple cuts to plungers makes advance the timing when you give more rack travel .. Problem was part throttle driving you have low static timing not as cool as it sounds .. CDS done this in early 2000,s.. Nothing new at all

Back