electric fans

goodyg92

diesel junky
my truck is gettin way too hot and i am looking to invest into some electric fans. how many cfm should it pull to be good enough without spending a ton? also needing a tranny cooler. how much should that pull?
where are yall mounting your tranny coolers with fans? pics would be nice.
Cody

What do you mean way to hot, the electric fans won't cool like the engine driven fan will. The big reason to run the electrics is to free up HP.

maybe you need a new thermostat could be another thing to look at and get one from cummins if you do

really? i thought they would cool it i also wanted the option to run them when the truck isnt running. it over heats quite a bit but the tranny is mainly what i am worried about i need a fan on it but i dont know where to mount it?

You need to put a double deep pan on that tranny to keep it cool. You might run cooler with the electric fans cause the stock fan is making the motor work.

Clean intercooler and radiator, put a deeper pan on the tranny. That is what I would do first.

if you have a clean radiator how hot is it gettin does it go way up and stay there like its stuck closed or anything like that my dad had alot of problems with cheapy thermostats from napa and i finally convinced him to get one from cummins and no problems since and he has a auto tranny with 216,000 on it and he pulls 10,000-15,000 behind it at all times

I just helped my friend remove/clean his radiator. His truck was getting really hot when towing. After cleaning the radiator, it runs super cool.

yeah mine was god aweful when i took mine off never would i have thought that much chit would be in their. mine would start to climb in a hot summer day haven to wait in traffic or towing something light, i went right ahead took it off brought some coil cleaner spayed the chit out of it let it soaked in a while, If i was you i would do them all take them all out do each one. Now B-M makes a trans cooler with a fan for light 150 bucks.

I would try that first that way you really dont have any money tied up in it and im sure it needs to be done anyway by now. Just look from under your truck behind the fan shoud you should see how much oil and grease is back there

thanks for all the input i am going to try and clean the radiator out this week or next weekend. i already have a double deep pan from mag hytec on it. im gonna put an electric fan on it i just dont know where to mount it. maybe under the bed in front of the driver rear tire with a screen angled towards the road for highway running air? i think it has to do with the new injectors i just put in cause the tranny stayed pretty cool with my old ones but now since i got these custom ones with custom lines it lopes really bad and i gotta power brake it to keep it over 1k or it will die i think that has to do with the tranny heating really fast. what do yall think?

My tranny cooler with fan is mounted upright infront of the fuel tank. I think the shorter you can make your new lines the better off you will be for cooling and your pocket book. Hooked up fan on a toogle switch, Hook to sled flip switch for trans cooler and switch for cooling fans on radiator. Leave all fans running for a few minutes after unhooked and cools very quickly.

The electric fans pull I think 5-6000cfm. The factory fan pulls 10k plus. If your overheating with the factory fan then you'll definitely over heat with the electric fans. Pull you radiator and intercooler out and clean them and put a new thermostat from cummins in it.

X2 what BgBlDodge said. Clean the radiator. When I installed my cam, I couldn't believe how dirty the radiator was. Center portion of radiator was just about totally pluged.

I couldn't believe how dirty the radiator was. Center portion of radiator was just about totally pluged.[/QUOTE]

yep thats just how mine was

Same here. Mine looked clean from the outside but once I started hosing it out I was amazed at how much gunk and crap was being flushed out. I could have probably spent an hour on it and not gotten it perfectly clean.

ok thanks i will flush it all this weekend if i get a chance but any one have any pics of their tranny coolers, like where they are mounted with fans.

Same here, pluged up good. Took three rounds with degreaser and a pressure washer to get it clean.