electric fans

Do you hear your fan engaging? If not your fan clutch may be bad, when mine was out everybody told me it would throw a code but it didn't. To test run it up to opp temp, park and leave it running, put a piece of cardboard in front of radiator and watch the fan. If it dosent engage by about 220 it's bad. Helps to have someone help you to watch the gauge and idle it up so you can hear the fan better.

thanks for all the input i am going to try and clean the radiator out this week or next weekend. i already have a double deep pan from mag hytec on it. im gonna put an electric fan on it i just dont know where to mount it. maybe under the bed in front of the driver rear tire with a screen angled towards the road for highway running air? i think it has to do with the new injectors i just put in cause the tranny stayed pretty cool with my old ones but now since i got these custom ones with custom lines it lopes really bad and i gotta power brake it to keep it over 1k or it will die i think that has to do with the tranny heating really fast. what do yall think?

I think you need to get in the habit of shifting to neutral any time you stop the truck. Holding the brake and revving the motor is the cause of your tranny running hotter, nothing else. A tighter aftermarket converter will build more heat than you could believe just sitting still at normal idle in gear, let alone with the RPM's brought up.

My advice? Swap back to normal size lines to help alleviate the lope and the need to hold some throttle in it. Add another cooler if you wish, it won't hurt a bit, but STAY WITH THE FACTORY FAN! The electrics WILL NOT cool nearly as well.

Good advice. Ditch the lines. They won't add power and they'll only hurt driveability. And revving your motor up at stop lights while the tranny is in gear is what's causing your tranny to overheat.

i do shift into neutral at lights and stuff but its the traffic that sucks. i should be swapping out the lines this weekend while i flush the radiator and install the new shocks. still no pics of tranny coolers and where they are mounted? is it good to run 2 instead of one? or just run one with a fan?
thanks
Cody

What are your tranny temps hitting? I've got a double deep pan on mine and sitting in traffic see 180-200* in the hot line coming out of the converter (hottest reading). That's on the stock trans cooler.

my guage will pin at 250 it will shut o/d off and turn the check guages and trans temp lights on.

I think that once you have the radiator, intercooler and A/C condenser cleaned out you are gonna see a world of difference in the temps, Dodge (smartly, IMHO) uses an oil to water and an air to water cooler on these trucks, if your coolant cannot shed heat via the radiator, everything else is going to heat up right along with it.

Get some air flowing, then decide if you need an extra cooler or not, I'll be betting you do not.

Wow. That's freakin insane. With my stock tranny I held 1800rpm for 30-45secs and only saw 240*. Get all of the coolers in the front of the motor cleaned up real good, change the coolant, get a new fan hub and thermostat, and then see where your at with that befoire you go plumbing in new coolers and fans. The factory coolers on these trucks can really keep things cool if they are in good working order.

thanks for all the input guys i will post up on how it goes and the results