Exhaust Manifold Studs- ?

my studs are 40mm long if that helps. Leaves plenty to get a nut and washer on.

Last edited:
I found information that the studs go into the head 1"

So, this is roughly 25 MM

The mounting flange on an ATS Pulse Flow exhaust manifold is approximately:
17.22 MM thick

The manifold gasket might be 1-2 MM thick......

Then, add approximately 10-12 MM for the flange nut or nut/washer combo.....

Lastly, add 25 MM for the thread depth into the head

Time to hunt down some stainless steel, high tensile strength studs!

The use of Stainless steel seems curious to me. I have had nothing but bad luck with Stainless fasteners into/onto steel parts. I usually end up with galled or stripped threads. WHat is the secret???

Or do I just need to quit using the "Torque to Strip" method of tightening?

I found information that the studs go into the head 1"

Can anyone verify this info?

I was told 1" initially and have some stating that it is 1-1/2"

Anyone have a spare or junk head laying around that they can measure the thread depth into the head for the manifold bolts???

Just pull one of your factory bolts and measure the thread. Its easy enough. The threads in the head go deeper but you don't want to end up bottoming out.

Sent from my DROIDX

D45 I think you're making it much harder than it needs to be. I also think you'll not find any SS studs with the pitch you need at one end and SAE threads at the other. If you can though..... 25 to 30mm is all you need to worry about for the head side and another 10 to 15mm for the nut side hence a 40 to 45mm stud.

The use of Stainless steel seems curious to me. I have had nothing but bad luck with Stainless fasteners into/onto steel parts. I usually end up with galled or stripped threads. WHat is the secret???

Or do I just need to quit using the "Torque to Strip" method of tightening?

its not torque to strip, its redneck locktight lol

Triton,
I think a 40MM-45MM stud will still be too short.....and yes, I am way over-thinking this, but I want it done and done right

25MM head depth
17MM manifold flange
1MM gasket thickness
10-12MM mounting nut

53MM-55MM length stud is what I am leaning towards........

Should a washer be used on the mounting nut, up against the manifold or will a nut suffice?

yeah you're probably right. My bolts have 35mm threads and the head is 10mm = 45mm over all. 50 to 55mm would give you plenty of extra room for the nut. I'd try to find a flange nut but, if you can't I'd use a washer. Finding a stud like that, made from the material you'd like will probably be hard to do.

Does anyone have access to a CR head that is laying around?

Still looking to verify how deep the holes are threaded, flush with the edge on the side of the head.........

Is it too hard for you to pull a bolt off your manifold and check? Awful lot of questions and help being asked for on something that would take you 5 minutes to check yourself.

alright, I just measured mine, the hole protrudes into the head about 28-29mm depending on which hole I measure, however it feels like the threads don't go in all the way. by using the end of the calipers in the hole and going by feel and making a measurement to there it looks like only about 23mm of thread.

I am not cutting a cross section of my head to check for sure though

$
I also think you'll not find any SS studs with the pitch you need at one end and SAE threads at the other

They do exist :rockwoot:

It took me a few weeks of searching but I found them in stainless steel
(#304) in M10-1.50 x 50MM and M10-1.50 x 60MM sizes

120,000 tensile strength........I have one of each size/length on order and they should be here by Wednesday

Back