Feedback on new GT5518 anyone?

Iirc RonA did 12xxwhp with a GT55 94mm compressor as his primary. Not sure what turbine housing he was running, but I know he still visits this board from time to time.

We run the Precision equivalent on the race truck (ProMod88 Gen2) with the vband 1.15 AR housing, but as a single. It is well into meaningful boost by 2000rpm, and will peak out around 90psi, it never goes beyond 1:1 boost to drive.

It is 50lbs dead on and made 1250whp on fuel, but I am confident it will make more (Cp3 let go and sent metal through the whole fuel system right at that point in the tuning).

IMAG0572_zpsb06ee389.jpg

Ive seem too much with their turbos going kaboom to make me want one. How long has this one been going and how new of a design is it?

Ive seem too much with their turbos going kaboom to make me want one. How long has this one been going and how new of a design is it?

Gen2 was a new design this season. We ran the season on it, and as many people know it did fail in Edmonton. However that was NOT the fault of the charger. I am to blame for that as we had been having nitrous delivery issues all day as such I had the wastegate set for fuel only (basically closed) and on the 152mph pass we solved the nitrous issue, and way over-sped the turbo as a result.

We will be running another Promod88 Gen2 this upcoming year. Yes it is pricey, but how many other SS trucks do you see over 150mph? Let alone running a single turbo.

I ran one for close to 2 years with 1.0 housing. While it was an unlimited supply of air, I eventually couldn't get over the lag. Even with an he351 secondary.

We run the Precision equivalent on the race truck (ProMod88 Gen2) with the vband 1.15 AR housing, but as a single. It is well into meaningful boost by 2000rpm, and will peak out around 90psi, it never goes beyond 1:1 boost to drive.

Isn't that like a PR of like 7.1 @ sea level?

If the compressor map shows 160 pounds per minute with/at a max PR of say 4.5...isn't t just super heating the air charge? (I haven't seen a map for this turbo, nor claim to know more than schit about turbos in general...I'm just asking a question.)

Isn't that like a PR of like 7.1 @ sea level?

If the compressor map shows 160 pounds per minute with/at a max PR of say 4.5...isn't t just super heating the air charge? (I haven't seen a map for this turbo, nor claim to know more than schit about turbos in general...I'm just asking a question.)

No one has seen a map for this turbo, as Precision doesn't map their compressors. All I can tell you is that it made more power at 90psi for us than it does at 80psi, and so forth.

Grabbed the dyno log and it was 444 degree's off the compressor and 124 degree's after the air to air on the 1250 pull. The aero on that compressor is the ****.

Have a data log of it spooling off of 1700 rpm (88mm compressor/gt55 turbine) on a 5.9.

Pretty much had the white unicorn of a tune built and then a pump $hit the bed and sent steel through the whole fuel system a day-two before Edmonton. Then we threw something together with spare parts we had....LOL

I have a new in the box gt5518 94mm with a 1.0ar that im looking to part with if anyone is interested pm me.

I ran one for close to 2 years with 1.0 housing. While it was an unlimited supply of air, I eventually couldn't get over the lag. Even with an he351 secondary.

Really, I love they way mine spools. Its very similar to all the s400 chargers Ive tried, a bit longer to spool from 0-10 psi but after 10 psi its much faster to spool.

Last edited:
I believe that is the same charger as I mentioned above that RonA was running.

It is 50lbs dead on and made 1250whp on fuel, but I am confident it will make more (Cp3 let go and sent metal through the whole fuel system right at that point in the tuning).

IMAG0572_zpsb06ee389.jpg

Holy Mother of singles....... I would like to try a 82/96 1.25 next time around.