Final rule class and rule changes from DHRA

These are the final major changes to the classes in sled pulling. If you have questions or comments please contact Scott Doty, DHRA Tech at scott@dhraonline.com or call him 734-587-3082.
Complete rulebooks will be available at the Champion's Banquet, then they will be available for purchase on DHRAonline.com

2008 FINAL Rulebook Changes
Version 3.0.2
Date Changed: 12/20/2007

SLED PULLING

WORK STOCK:

Work Stock will be a trophy only class.

Medium Duty Hauler –Removed entirely from rulebook.

Engine- The engine is limited to an OEM make specific compression ignition engine.

Turbocharger- The turbocharger is limited to an OEM make-specific charger only. Turbochargers from different years in the same make may be interchanged.

STREET DIESEL:

Credentials- All drivers must have a valid state driver’s license and DHRA membership. A competition endorsement is necessary for all participants competing for points.

Engine- The engine block must have been available as a factory option on a one-ton or smaller pickup truck. The use of concrete or other block fillers is prohibited. Electric fans are permitted.

Turbocharger- The vehicle is limited to a single turbocharger; the inducer bore on the compressor housing may be no larger than 2.6 inches measured at the smallest diameter area of the compressor wheel. The largest diameter of the intake compressor wheel may not exceed 100 mm. No bushings allowed. A stock map width enhancement (MWE) groove is allowed. No MWE groove will be allowed that has a width greater than 1/4 inch. All provisions allowing air to the wheel other than via the bore and the MWE groove are prohibited.

SUPER STREET: (Former Street Diesel)

Credentials- All drivers must have a valid state driver’s license, a valid DHRA membership and a competition endorsement.

Engine- The engine block must have been available as a factory option on a one-ton or smaller pickup truck. Blocks must circulate coolant freely. The use of concrete or other block fillers is prohibited. Electric fans are permitted.

Turbocharger- The vehicle is limited to a single turbocharger; the inducer bore on the compressor housing may be no larger than 2.8 inches measured at the smallest diameter area of the compressor wheel. The largest diameter of the intake compressor wheel may not exceed 105 mm No bushings allowed. A stock map width enhancement (MWE) groove is allowed. No MWE groove will be allowed that has a width greater than 1/4 inch. All provisions allowing air to the wheel other than via the bore and the MWE groove are prohibited.

PRO MOD: (Former Super Street)

Credentials- All drivers must have a valid state driver’s license, a valid DHRA membership and a competition endorsement.

Fuel Injection Pump- Sigma or 12-cylinder inline injection pumps are prohibited.

Turbocharger- Vehicles are limited to a single turbocharger only; the inducer bore on the compressor housing may be no larger than 3.0 inches measured at the smallest diameter area of the compressor wheel. No bushings allowed.

SUPER MODIFIED:(former Modified Diesel)

Outlaw Diesel Exhibition- Removed entirely from rulebook.

Weight Breaks- 7500 lbs. Weight is with driver.

as the lower classes look good, the pro mod class is the worst one, theres a few small twin trucks that pull and can not make 7500 at all or come close to it

BigBadDodge said:
"competition endorsement" what is this ?

BBD

I think that's where you pay more money up front to be in the running for the year end points.

BigBadDodge said:
"competition endorsement" what is this ?

BBD

AFAIK
More or less an endorsement to your membership. They just make sure you know the operation of your safety equipment and are competent enough to operate your vehicle.

SuperSonic said:
AFAIK
More or less an endorsement to your membership. They just make sure you know the operation of your safety equipment and are competent enough to operate your vehicle.

Yep, kinda like being licensed to run a funny car.

I hear there may be some more safety requirements for the upper few classes than last year, any word on that?

DHRAonline.com said:
SUPER STREET: (Former Street Diesel)

Engine- The engine block must have been available as a factory option on a one-ton or smaller pickup truck. Blocks must circulate coolant freely. The use of concrete or other block fillers is prohibited. Electric fans are permitted.

Turbocharger- The vehicle is limited to a single turbocharger; the inducer bore on the compressor housing may be no larger than 2.8 inches measured at the smallest diameter area of the compressor wheel. The largest diameter of the intake compressor wheel may not exceed 105 mm No bushings allowed. A stock map width enhancement (MWE) groove is allowed. No MWE groove will be allowed that has a width greater than 1/4 inch. All provisions allowing air to the wheel other than via the bore and the MWE groove are prohibited.

PRO MOD: (Former Super Street)

Fuel Injection Pump- Sigma or 12-cylinder inline injection pumps are prohibited.

Turbocharger- Vehicles are limited to a single turbocharger only; the inducer bore on the compressor housing may be no larger than 3.0 inches measured at the smallest diameter area of the compressor wheel. No bushings allowed.

How will they Tech the "The largest diameter of the intake compressor wheel may not exceed 105 mm No bushings allowed?"
Also what chargers besides the A5K based turbo are 2.8" no bushing.
Seems like it will be hard to tell the differance between the 3 classes. (SD/SS/PM)

I think it is so stupid there are no more compounds allowed. I have a set now that I was planning on attending DHRA and pulling with but I think I will find another organization to go with.

silver03 said:
How will they Tech the "The largest diameter of the intake compressor wheel may not exceed 105 mm No bushings allowed?"
Seems like it will be hard to tell the differance between the 3 classes. (SD/SS/PM)

hey atleast its gonna keep ATS in business......:bang :bang :bang :bang

i know there is a garret out there that is just a hair to big, it measures like a 2.88.........
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pulling-tractor...ryZ50920QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
just happened to find it on ebay, too bad it isnt just a touch smaller.....

Last edited:
There needs to be a street twin class. max 78mm inducer on big charger and 8500lbs. the same rules as Pro Mod.

SuperSonic said:
AFAIK

Thanks Chris :)

BBD

I'm new at this rule stuff, so please forgive me for not posting more of the turbo ruling in Pro Mod:

*Two turbochargers are allowed during National events for non-points participants. Atmosphere charger inducer bore on the compressor housing may be no larger than 2.8 inches.

Once again, if you have questions, please contact Scott Doty.

Tcolesanti said:
I had an S400 with a 71mm wheel and no bushing early last year.

-Tom

I believe that is the same OD on the compressor wheel as the 3.0 version of the s400. Which I think it is too big also.

silver03 said:

Wow, they went pretty hardcore on spec'ing wheels!

The only way to tech it is to have you pop the V-band on the compressor housing and disassemble it for measurement. It takes all of 5 minutes (max) on my A5k.

Wow. I have been wondering if someone would go to this extent, and here we have it in print. This will reign things in!

I'm also assuming that Pro Mod is open driveline?

nwpadmax said:
Wow, they went pretty hardcore on spec'ing wheels!

The only way to tech it is to have you pop the V-band on the compressor housing and disassemble it for measurement. It takes all of 5 minutes (max) on my A5k.

Wow. I have been wondering if someone would go to this extent, and here we have it in print. This will reign things in!

I'm also assuming that Pro Mod is open driveline?

Maybe ATS is a DHRA sponsor?:poke:

We will see if this helps with the turbo costs, from custom grinding $$$ to get the inducer down on a 3.0 charger to meet the 2.5 class.

eventually someone is going to start making custom compressor housings for the these chargers to run these smaller inducer classes where they say you cant run bushings.....

just watch out what S400 series you buy cause you could get nailed on the large diameter of the wheel with the extended tip wheels

Back